Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

topgunLT1

08-01-2013

Visual Changes

hmmm well, killing baron needs to feel epic. I hope u guys r planning on adding that new baron from the TF LOL cinematic.
also u can replace the dragon with phoenix cause i had an idea that if u use phoenix rebirth ability with the timing of dragon's re-spawn timer it makes a whole lot sense on how the thing came back. I mean i'm still not used to Baron and Dragon suddenly popping up out of no where in their respective spawn points.

The bush effect needs graphics update and a buff indicating that u r inside the bush granting temporary invisibility.

Loved the boundary less map design of howling abyss, i was always trying to look either at the abyss itself or to find how far the crack goes off the map. Remove the hilly terrain block logic of Summoner's Rift and add a sensible boundary idea like in HA map.

Some kinda new animal for SR map like poro for HA. Maybe u can keep somekinda animal that reacts to whats happening on a map. Like for eg: it sits or appears in lane that has the most action or farm rate. This also helps the newbie player spectators to understand which lane is performing well. Also the players of that lane will feel like they're in a spotlight

(hmm u know that creature can act like a referee who holds the score board and if players click on it they can check the score board rather than pressing the tab key )

Killing a minion should feel good rather than a being just an annoying farming objective like in many MMO games.

Optional Gameplay changes i thought would be fun

y not give that river some kinda effect like, minor increased regen or maybe filling up the crystaline flask by 1 stack if its empty, only if the champions were out of combat for like 20 sec or more maybe.

Please do something with the annoying vision wards, the map never stays blind for any team now. Its like the fog of war doesn't pose any threat at all. Bring limitations to no. wards that can be planted per team or the area that can be revealed by wards per team -___-

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

08-02-2013
16 of 92 Riot Posts

"Dragon should look like it comes from the same fantasy world as Shyvana.

Seriously, their anatomies are completely different. You guys need to decide if dragons in Valoran have two legs or four legs. There is very little consistency in this game's art sometimes"

We actually deliberately try to separate creatures from champions. We want to keep Shyvanna's dragon form unique to Shyvanna. I agree with you about consistancy. From an Environment perspective we are working to create a cohesive look to our maps, and that is going to be a ongoing effort.

Rauron

08-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
We actually deliberately try to separate creatures from champions. We want to keep Shyvanna's dragon form unique to Shyvanna.
(edited for less snark)

This sounds like it's going to lead to her feeling like a one-off, which is super suboptimal. It's important to have cohesion in the League 'verse, and the fact that she transforms/maintains control should be quite enough to distinguish her. Also, a different color scheme and salient details could go a long way. Is there a lore reason for her differences? Preferably one better than, for example, the reason behind differences among male yordles (which basically boiled down to a shrug).

Pharoun

08-02-2013

I'd like to see subtle terrain changes after calamitous events. This could range from super minions stomping a trail down towards the enemy to a small grave upon the ground where first blood was spilled.

I would also like to see consistency in the art of the starting summoner platform. Perhaps some variance to depict the differences in age and story of the Howling Abyss however I would expect Dominion and Summoners rift to depict their stories in themselves.

I also strongly dislike the the lack of a thematic opening. The unceremonious manner in which the game drops you from the polished loading screen overlooking a motley crew who find themselves standing in a circle. I would prefer some meager particles of the recall animation that persists until movement.

exec3

08-02-2013

You say you want to make the different towers for different modes visually relevant for each map which is great, any plans to do the same to inhibitors and nexus? They both definitely need an update for SR at the very least but i'd be curious if you'd make any visual update more themed around SR or make something generic so they can be placed on all maps that wants them.

Any thoughts on pulling a Howling Abyss and having different shopkeepers at both bases that tell a story about the map? Also any thoughts on pulling a Twisted Treeline and having story elements like the capture points? Maybe some of the jungle camps could get dialogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
"Dragon should look like it comes from the same fantasy world as Shyvana.

Seriously, their anatomies are completely different. You guys need to decide if dragons in Valoran have two legs or four legs. There is very little consistency in this game's art sometimes"

We actually deliberately try to separate creatures from champions. We want to keep Shyvanna's dragon form unique to Shyvanna. I agree with you about consistancy. From an Environment perspective we are working to create a cohesive look to our maps, and that is going to be a ongoing effort.
I still think you could make the engagement with the dragon more interesting than it currently is, like I said previously he just kind of lazily flaps his wings and hovers both while idle and while attacking. He got no love when the jungle camps got a visual update.

Redwind5527

08-02-2013

what i don't like about SR is the small amount of jungle monsters plus blue side keeps farming golem's when purple side has to run into the jungle just for wolfs...

what i would love to see in SR is more jungle monsters and something added to help purple side

and here's a very small idea but what about water footprints like you walk into the river and then when you leave maybe 1 or 2 steps out you see left over water footprints ?

Aacey

08-02-2013

We are definitely aware of the aesthetic issues with the map, but I would love to know how you felt specifically about Summoner's Rift. What are your favorite elements? What are the places that bother you the most. If you could do something completely crazy with the map, what would it be?[/QUOTE]

re-posting this from another thread
MINIONS AND MONSTERS and TOWERS NEED A HUGE VU

MY HANDS DOWN LEAST FAVORITE THING of SR is the disadvantage the HUD provides to purple team. and i would absolutely LOVE A 45 degree rotation of the map as it would fix half of this problem in addition to being simpler to get used to. the only way to completely fix the problem tho is adding a top/bottom switch for the HUD(similar to the minimap switch but translating the entire HUD across the x axis.) Some people would say just dont play with screen lock. that doesnt solve the issue. (its like complaing aboit a leak in your roof/ceiling and people telling you to put buckets out to catch the water, that doesnt fix the leaky roof.)

i would like it if top and bot land bent inward a little bit, and where the bush between the 2 lane towers are put a small offshoot of jungle with its own pathway and such. Maybe with its own camp or 2 mini camps(by mini camps i mean no large monster/minion just a couple little wraith/wolf/golem/etc

things that really annoy me hmm that wall the wolf vamp is looking at i feel needs an opening with a bush in it or just a gap it causes me to screw up my pathing all the time

Dragon pit should be a mountain not a wet puddle area( why would a fire breathing dragon constantly be THAT close to water.) baron pit should be a crater of doom and also should not be a wet puddle area

caster minions names should be changed to ranger minions and given a bow if you aren't going to make them do magic damage

some of the openings in the camps should be inverted (for example purple wolves are now looking at blue teams base instead of purple base.)

EDIT I FORGOT river should twist and turn its the serpentine river according to your map. How come the part we fight on is straight as a board?

please

aside from that i feel there should be more twists and turns in the jungle maybe more camps and double golems and wolves switched

My favorite element of the map is the bush by bluebuff, because it cirves aroung the wall meas just cause you have it warded doesnt mean you get full vision.

the image is my idea in progress me and my poor paint skills havent gotten to the red side of jungle but you get the general idea the little red dots in the mini jungles are the baby camps little wraith wolf/golem/lizard/other

i didnt draw it with the 45degree rotation as i feel its unlikely riot would want to do that and the hud is more the cause of the problem.

jakeoti

08-02-2013

I like the classic look of Summoner's Rift...if you were going to change the art, it would be a risk if you made it too different. However, what could be cool is a bit more difference between blue and purple sides. Have there be a more ruins/crumbling stone statues feel to the purple side, while the blue side is more forested. Have a gradual change in the middle.

I also think the shopkeeper needs an upgrade. For one thing, this new shopkeeper character was introduced...and there's two of him on the map. Kind of diminishes him as a character. Also, HA shopkeepers talk. Let's have the SR shops say stuff too. Maybe make the purple side have a female yordle tending wares.

WickedLaich

08-02-2013

The river. It seems so.. fake. I feel like I'm walking on solid ground instead of water. Well maybe not fake, but the flowing water is hardly noticeable unless you think about it.

I don't think of the river as this great flowing stream of water. I just think of it as a path that connects Baron Nashor, Dragon, and the three lanes.

Kuguya

08-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauron View Post
(edited for less snark)

This sounds like it's going to lead to her feeling like a one-off, which is super suboptimal. It's important to have cohesion in the League 'verse, and the fact that she transforms/maintains control should be quite enough to distinguish her. Also, a different color scheme and salient details could go a long way. Is there a lore reason for her differences? Preferably one better than, for example, the reason behind differences among male yordles (which basically boiled down to a shrug).
Dragons are just like any other animals when it comes to fantasy worlds: different kinds, breeds, and races and the like. Shyvana and the SR Rift are just different types of dragons. It's no different than how in real world mythology, there are Western Dragons which resemble the SR ones, and then there are Eastern Dragons which are more serpentine in appearance. So the reason they look different, and why there is no real need for consistency so-to-speak or for all dragons to look the same, is because they're not the same kind of dragon.