Skarner, I miss your kind

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotScruffy

Game Designer

07-29-2013
1 of 35 Riot Posts

Hey All,
I’m going to be doing some Skarner work and right here is one of the best places to start. There has been a great thread in the Champion Feedback forum (shoutout to Irish Red Cap) with a lot of good discussion on how people are feeling about Skarner’s current state.

So I’ve been doing some digging and unfortunately, poor Skarner is being picked 80% less this year than he was last year. Some of this might be from some nerfs he has received, but it may also be because newer champs are outclassing him in what he does best. Either way, I think we all agree that Skarner could benefit from a few improvements to make him more fun/viable for both Skarner players and their opponents. Keep in mind, the goal here is not "make Skarner OP." There will always have to be strengths and weaknesses to all champions.

Before we get to any of the potential changes, we need to figure out what Skarner’s strengths and weaknesses are right now. I have a few questions for you all, and you can answer these as a SKarner player or even as someone who only has experience playing against Skarner.

• What are the most fun aspects of playing Skarner?
• What are the most frustrating/unfun aspects of playing Skarner?
• What are the most frustrating aspects of playing against Skarner?
• Are there champions that do Skarner’s job better than he does? Why?

I have my own personal answers to these questions, but I may be only seeing one side of the coin. There are some Skarner players out there with wayyy more experience that I have, and I think there is a lot of valuable information that I may be missing. I have a feeling that once we get talking, we will come to some very useful conclusions. GOGOGO

-Scruff

MrGutWrench

07-29-2013

res

Faceplosion

07-29-2013

Attachment 743584

MrMan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-29-2013

Attachment 743592

Being able to rush up to their carry and pull them into my entire team. It really makes me feel like I'm making a huge difference in the game

The fact that my E does so little. Wether it's in the top lane or in the jungle, the heal and damage it provides both feel lackluster at best.

If I'm the AD Carry, then I don't like being pulled by his ult (but then again, it's one of the best things about playing Skarner)

Jarvan IV has a lot of utility and a lot to offer to the team. His early ganks are so much better than Skarners that it simply makes you pick him instead of Skarner

Dooby plz

07-29-2013

Flash ulting enemy carries into your team.

When your ult starts casting but stops when that nidalee pounces away, then you flash after her when you realize you didnt actually ult her and she pounces breaking channel again and escapes with sliver of hp. I've had this happen to me, worst feeling ever.

I cant really tell because noone plays skarner in my games but id imagine that it would be getting ulted by him over and over every fight.

I believe champions like jarvan,vi,zac outclass him as tanky bruiser with their gabclosers and better overall cc. Which is why i think riot should push him to be more of an ap fighter like diana instead of bulwark/locket bot jungler. Making him more viable top lane would be amazing too.

Draciusen

07-29-2013

Battlecast Skarner.
You know you want to.

EndlesssEntropyy

07-29-2013

Attachment 743594

Ozbirta

07-29-2013

Yayyyyyyy!

Edit: to answer some questions...

Running around spamming shields and slows to let your team catch up while you are flying at mach 10.

Not having mana to do anything, and needing a lot of gold to get his build where it needs to be to have an impact. Underfarmed = get kited and die quickly. Overfarmed= ignore tanks and run at the carries to ult them and win.
Also, it's never a good thing when you are REQUIRED to bring MS quints AND a shurelyas to be effective

Knowing he is going to ult you, and there is nothing you can do about it. Have to hope your team keeps the rest of his team away, or you are toast.

Tanky initiators who do fulfill this role better? Voli did briefly until liandrys and botrk arrived to kill off his popularity. Zac is god-tier because he has an aoe knockup with a huge gap-close and an aoe ult. skarner has to run all the way up to his enemy to cc them, and only has a single target hard cc, but can keep an aoe slow up for as long as he has mana. J4 also does the job better because he has a real gap close, and an aoe "disable". It's mostly just the fact that skarner has a very lackluster gapclose that keeps him from success. Everyone has ways to get away from him, and he has to already be close to the enemy for a couple seconds to even begin slowing them.

LesLlamas

07-29-2013

Oh my god, been waiting so long for this. Will get back to this later with some new thoughts but my lunch break is almost over at work so I'll link you to this thread I made a while back if you want a player's view at Skarner and some of his issues/what makes him cool!

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3241699

stealthfox94

07-29-2013

A new skin and maybe make him slightly more viable top lane.