Let's talk about Xerath

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xelnath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Systems Designer

07-24-2013
151 of 159 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vDead View Post
Hey Xelnath,
I just wanna say you're doing a great job with the Xerath rework so far.

Is there anything new you'd like to share with the community about Xerath?
Yes, actually. We tried a number of iterations where Xerath could maintain super high range for long periods of time. In all of those iterations, it causes the game to grind to a halt as Xerath was the ultimate defense machine, but couldn't help win the game.

We are now increasing the power of his auto-attack replacer, but condensing the duration into a shorter window, with the intent of reinforcing his role as mid-game mage sniper / late-game damage source, rather than aoe CC character.

In a nutshell, we've kind of come full circle on the kit and we're bringing him back a bit closer to his live playstyle, but with a healthier ultimate that allows for skillful plays on both Xerath and the enemy's part.

Masked Anathema

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
Yes, actually. We tried a number of iterations where Xerath could maintain super high range for long periods of time. In all of those iterations, it causes the game to grind to a halt as Xerath was the ultimate defense machine, but couldn't help win the game.

We are now increasing the power of his auto-attack replacer, but condensing the duration into a shorter window, with the intent of reinforcing his role as mid-game mage sniper / late-game damage source, rather than aoe CC character.

In a nutshell, we've kind of come full circle on the kit and we're bringing him back a bit closer to his live playstyle, but with a healthier ultimate that allows for skillful plays on both Xerath and the enemy's part.
I like that post. That's a nice post.

Edit: Out of curiosity, can his AA replacement hit towers?

Xelnath

Systems Designer

07-24-2013
152 of 159 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Anathema View Post
I like that post. That's a nice post.

Edit: Out of curiosity, can his AA replacement hit towers?
Nah, there's no skill in a skill that can hit towers without retribution. See Heimerdinger 1.0.

Freakooo

07-24-2013

It seems I'm really late to the party.... But I'll post my thoughts anyway

Xerath has some issues one shotting minions with his Q IIRC. Just annoying to farm mid/late game when you don't one shot the minions. Ignore this if it's wrong!

I have no clue what his range is. All I know is that when I press W, my range is long but sometimes I root myself and find that I'm out of range by like 50. Very frustrating because if I unroot myself, I can't make my range longer again. A lot of times, I found myself using only Q/R because my E was simply out of range.

I smartcast a lot of spells but I do it manually by pressing shift + QWER. This way I can press QWER to see its range indicator to see how far I am from them. But when I play Xerath; I always have to estimate or guess. If I'm wrong, then... well that sucks he just got away :/

So my biggest problem was that I never knew if I was in range or not. And if I wasn't in range, then it was very disappointing. In terms of whether or not Xerath is a good champion, I would say he's an excellent champion. I've had a couple of games where enemy team SUCKED. 4 really bad players, but Xerath kept us at bay because he could burst carries from full at long range (didn't even need to E). His range + damage + burst + AoE is insane. I think he's just not very fun to play because of his range issue

Masked Anathema

07-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
Nah, there's no skill in a skill that can hit towers without retribution. See Heimerdinger 1.0.
I remember. "You like having towers? Too bad, have grenades instead."

Where would you say this "revamp" is in terms of its developmental stages? I've followed this thread closely since day 1, and I'm curious to know if this is a typical timeline for things like this, or if it's shorter or longer.

Barack H Obama

07-24-2013

Just retire him from the League, hes boring.

Zozt

07-25-2013

leblanc 3 shot noobs

NA Darklarik

07-25-2013

Hey Xelnath, im loving the Xerath changes, but i cant help feel hes kinda, really SCARY. a 3000 ranged sniper mage?

what type of counterplay will exist for him? It just sounds like he can nuke an enemy team from so far away they will never catch him. Good Xerath players on live are scary, they obliterate entire teams, im just a little concerned about the new range he has...

KirbyHero

07-25-2013

Why the heck is this a priority when there's much more messed up, overpowered, and underpowered champions to work on. It sounds like there's nothing wrong with the guy. Balancing other parts of the game will probably make the dude more fun to play on its own.

KevinDelMarr

07-25-2013

You've confirmed Xerath will get new particles, to move away from lightning into more plasma/mana fire. Will we see lightning Xerath again? I'm assuming Battle and Rune will become plasma fire as well, also I don't feel like you're going to give him a new base skin since it's not bad. Battlecast with lightning would be cool, currently it looks like an inferior version of Scorched Earth, especially once Xerath gets more fiery/energy spells.

Keep up the good work