What is this "change to google DNS" fix I hear about for the lag?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MAGllKARP

07-23-2013

I'e heard a few times about a potential DNS fix (including from Riot employees on Reddit) and it is usually about switching to google somehow but I can't track down any original posts here or on reddit and I was wondering if anyone knows what is meant/how to do it/knows where to find another post about it?

Thanks for your time reading this.

Also, if you don't know what kind of lag is going on, here is an accurate video of it in an ARAM game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwFLMrqX5ls

(sorry if I posted incorrectly. I mostly live on r/leagueoflegends)

EDIT: Also would the change just affect my system or would it have the potential to change the system for everyone in my house?

EDIT 2: I tried this: https://developers.google.com/speed/.../using#testing And followed the directions for Windows 7 (I use Windows 8). It seemed to work fine and as if it would only affect my computer. It was really easy and looked quite safe. So far I haven't had any issues with my other internet things so now with these new settings it's time to try some LoL and I'll report back on my gameplay experience. Below I will post the set of instructions I used on that page for Windows 7/8:

Quote:
Microsoft Windows

DNS settings are specified in the TCP/IP Properties window for the selected network connection.

Example: Changing DNS server settings on Microsoft Windows 7

Go the Control Panel.
Click Network and Internet, then Network and Sharing Center, and click Change adapter settings.
Select the connection for which you want to configure Google Public DNS. For example:
To change the settings for an Ethernet connection, right-click Local Area Connection, and click Properties.
To change the settings for a wireless connection, right-click Wireless Network Connection, and click Properties.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
Select the Networking tab. Under This connection uses the following items, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) or Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and then click Properties. [I used v6 jsut because it was first on my list and that worked fine]
Click Advanced and select the DNS tab. If there are any DNS server IP addresses listed there, write them down for future reference, and remove them from this window.
Click OK.
Select Use the following DNS server addresses. If there are any IP addresses listed in the Preferred DNS server or Alternate DNS server, write them down for future reference.
Replace those addresses with the IP addresses of the Google DNS servers:
For IPv4: 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4.
For IPv6: 2001:4860:4860::8888 and/or 2001:4860:4860::8844
Restart the connection you selected in step 3.
Test that your setup is working correctly; see Testing your new settings below.
Repeat the procedure for additional network connections you want to change.
(though it's laid out much better on their page so if you want to try it I'd reccomend going there)

EDIT 3: Haven't gotten into a game yet but the login is now back to normal for me (e.g. after entering password it logs in lickety-split whereas the alst few days it has taken upwards of 30 seconds to log in). Will now try a game of dominion.

EDIT 4 (final edit afaik): Game played perfectly and so smooth! Haven't felt this good since the lag started lol. Maybe it will work for others. Or maybe it will work at least partially. Who knows?

EDIT: The lag came back I guess this had nothing to do with it