A Wild Knifecat Appears! (Rengar Discussion)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xelnath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Systems Designer

07-21-2013
33 of 81 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelligerentGnu View Post
"I know you're probably having a bad day, but I think you need to take a step back right now."

Yeah, gotta agree you're coming across a little arrogant on that one.
Thanks for letting me know. When I get ranty in real life, I appreciate when people tell me, because I often just don't realize it.

I've found it to be really helpful when someone lets me know I'm being emotional and that we can have a better conversation after cooling down.

The Shiken

07-21-2013

xelnath off topic question!
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...0#post40004180

Furi Kuri

07-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
We did only the ultimate change first. Then in playtesting, Scarizard played him and the live design team felt that new Rengar wasn't as healthy as he should be. So Scarizard and Wav3break took the time to start thinking about other ways of approaching him.

The whole purpose of this thread existing now is to gather your feedback on their initial thoughts and direction. Please keep sharing them.
For me it looks like Q is getting nerfed because all you guys told us is his burst is getting nerfed, but you didn't show any numbers on how much damage he will do over time with the new Q.
Can you make a custom game, and tell us how fast current Rengar kills a champ with 6 warmogs, and how fast new Rengar does.

Tycosnh

07-21-2013

It really feels you guys are NOT listening to us a lot. You ask for our feedback, but you already have your mind set on what has to happen. Most people are saying the same thing and you are just kinda dodging the questions.

Super Explosion

07-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
The whole purpose of this thread existing now is to gather your feedback on their initial thoughts and direction. Please keep sharing them.
So, what do you believe the role of an assassin is in this game?

Why do you pick one for your team?

And how does Rengar fit into that?

Skaarrjj

07-21-2013

I enjoy Rengars current tripple Q. Don't mess with it, I understand if you don't want the ultimate to be a guaranteed delivery system of that tripple Q to a carry, but that tripple Q is the only way Rengar can be viably played right now. Without he's just weak. He's got to kill people FAST as hell or die himself. He burns a guy, and then ... yeah.

Super Explosion

07-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaarrjj View Post
I enjoy Rengars current tripple Q. Don't mess with it, I understand if you don't want the ultimate to be a guaranteed delivery system of that tripple Q to a carry, but that tripple Q is the only way Rengar can be viably played right now. Without he's just weak. He's got to kill people FAST as hell or die himself. He burns a guy, and then ... yeah.
I would like if they made assassins such that they can make quick strikes and quick exits, perhaps vulnerable for the window of the strike.

No poke, no toe-to-toe fighting, just fast ins and fast outs.

However if you get very ahead as an assassin, you probably should be able to perform 100-to-0s at a certain point. Maybe.

Perhaps with itemization based counters left open to enemies, rather than largely built-in ones.

I wonder if Riot will implement logarithmic scaling for assassins.

Xelnath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Systems Designer

07-21-2013
34 of 81 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycosnh View Post
It really feels you guys are NOT listening to us a lot. You ask for our feedback, but you already have your mind set on what has to happen. Most people are saying the same thing and you are just kinda dodging the questions.
The only major question I've seen here that I haven't answered is:

"Why can't Rengar be an assassin?"

That's a question I can't answer as I'm not directing this rework. Like Wav3break said, he's always going to be on the assassin side of the fence. Stealth ultimate + double cast just does that to a character. My guess would be that he doesn't have a good escape to make the assassinate and leave pattern feel good. Similarly, Assassin Rengar he has no fallback pattern, unlike Kha'zix who can evolve poke.

Scarizard will be back in a few days and I'm sure Rengar will be a hot topic. We'll all talk more about this thread and I know Wav3break has been doing a great job of following this topic.

Grimwohl

07-21-2013

I Very much like the EMP Q giving 3 more stacks so it can basically refresh itself for sustained damage, but I'm a little worried about His in-fight survivability, given they've taking the MR/armor away from W. Against champions like Elise/Kennen the mixed defenses were vital.

The mixed defenses were excellent for what would be the current iteration of Rengar you're looking for. Yeah, its an easy padding of defenses, but if you want him to be a sustained DPS instead of an assassin, How does AA redux even help? Especially when you're going to be mixing it up inside the enemy team for extended periods of time, your going to be hurting from more than just auto's. Is the cooldown shorter?

My Desired Name

07-21-2013

This is so awesome.. I used to main Rengar, but even though I still play him a lot because of how fun he is, he just seems to get outclassed by other bruisers and fighters. I've been wishing for a Rengar remake for a long time. I think I have some really great ideas. I really hope this gets noticed, and possibly some of these ideas get taken into consideration.

"Do you identify Rengar's playstyle as one that would be a particularly good fit in the jungle? What improvements would you like to see be made to help him out?"

Rengar has slow clearing times, and his ganks are abysmal until he hits 6. He needs some kind of gap-closer other than his ultimate or passive in order to be a truly effective jungler. Also, since Rengar is sort of a "monster hunter" (In his lore, he goes around hunting various monsters and creatures), it would only be fitting if he gets a minor bonus from killing a certain type of monster, like Nunu does from his Consume.

"What is appealing to you about the defensive boost Rengar receives from Battle Roar? I'd like to change this from just flat Armor and Magic Resistance to something that can be situationally more powerful and makes him less 'meatwall' when he leaps on a target"

To be honest, I think Rengar's W is arguably one of the worst abilities in the game. The defensive bonus is minor, and only lasts for 3 seconds. The only good thing about it is the heal. Other than that, it's just "Jump on someone and press W for the hell of it." There's really no strategy involved with it. Perhaps giving a stronger defense boost if it hits more champions would be an excellent idea, since one of Rengar's main problems is that he gets blown up in teamfights too quickly, and he has no escape mechanism. Perhaps giving him a reliable escape would also work nicely too.

"What types of improvements or changes would you like to see be made to Bonetooth Necklace? Ideally i'd like to see this moved away from a 'stat-stick' and embrace more unique enhancements like his 'Increases Leap Range by 150'"

In my opinion, if a champion gets a unique item, it shouldn't just be viable. It should be stronger than everything else! That's the whole point of a unique item, isn't it? There can be all kinds of different bonuses he can get. You know what, I just thought of something. How awesome would it be if you can choose what bonuses he gets! Whenever he gets a certain amount of stacks, he can choose whatever bonus he wants. This could give him a lot more versatility, in case someone wants to play "tankgar", "assassingar", or whatever would benefit his team the most.