Problem with Promotion Series (Advancing Leagues)

12345 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Signature

07-20-2013

Currently the way that the system works is that you are matched up with players of similar MMR as you, regardless of what division you are in, and they are in.

The amount of LP you get per win is based on what division your MMR thinks you should be in, in relation to what division you actually are in. That way, you get more LP if your MMR is higher than your division, and less if your MMR is lower.

However, once you get into your promotional series, it is no longer about how much LP you gain. Instead, it is completely about winning and losing. In order to get into, and win your promotion series to rise to a new league, you must win 4/6 games. You need to win 1 to get into the series, and 3 to be promoted.

However, since the game matches you up with players that have roughly the same MMR as you, your win rate should technically be ~50%. This makes winning 4/6 games fairly difficult.

I propose that while LP clamping to get into your promotion series should still exist, and while the way matches are found before you get into your promotion series should stay the same, the games that you are put in for your promotion series are different.

The promotion series should be there for you to prove that you are better than the people in your league, not that you are better than the people better/worse than your league. Therefore, instead of matching you with people of similar MMR for your promo series, the game should instead match you with people in the same division as you for your promotion series.

Here's an example of what I mean. I am currently sitting in Gold 1 for my promo series. In order to pass, I need to win 3/5 of the games. However, due to my MMR, I am forced to play these 5 matches against diamond and platinum players. Why should I have to prove that I am better than diamond and platinum players when I am trying to get out of Gold 1?

With this new system, it would make sure that people who do not deserve to be promoted will not be promoted, and people who do deserve to be promoted will be promoted.

Another example: A silver MMR player is in Gold 1. He get really low LP gains because he plays vs. silver players despite being in Gold 1. He finally makes it into promo series. At this point, he should be matched up ONLY against other people who are in Gold 1, to see if he is truly a gold 1 player and deserving of the promotion. Since he is a silver MMR player, he will likely not be able to compare to the Gold 1 players, and not win his promotion until he gets better.

The same can be applied to the opposite example:

A diamond MMR player is in Gold 1. He gets really high LP gains and quickly makes it into his promo series since he constantly plays with diamonds. Once he enters his promo series, he is ONLY matched up with Gold 1 players. He will likely destroy the Gold 1 players and quickly win his promo series, as he is deserving of the promotion. This will make it less of a grind for people who deserve to be higher in the ladder.

EDIT: A few people have pointed out that you should not be trying to prove that you are better than the division you are trying to leave (gold 1), but rather the division you are going into (plat 5). A simple revision to my solution could be that you should only be matched up against people in your division, and the division you are trying to get into (e.g. Gold 1--> Plat 5 only play with gold 1 and plat 5 players).

Signature

07-20-2013

Also, just in case it wasn't too clear:

Advancing League = Gold 1 ---> Plat 5
Advancing Division = Gold 3 --> Gold 2

Divisions = Gold 5, Gold 4, Gold 3, Gold 2, Gold 1
Leagues = Bronze, Silver, Gold, Plat, Diamond, Challenger

jmspIat

07-20-2013

agreed

neodrag0n

07-20-2013

This is a pretty good idea.

SwipeZ

07-20-2013

It is annoying when you either have a bad mmr or a good one and just get totally annihilated in your promos just because of a troll or the other players being far better than you.

Seirai

07-20-2013

I also have the problem you described in your post and believe me, it's horrible.

e.g. people raging at me for being "GOLD 1 IN MY PLAT/DIAMONDO GAME???????"

Signature

07-20-2013

Here's an example of what I mean. Keep in mind LoLNexus shows pick order.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg thisMMR.jpg (196.3 KB, 2320 views)

iProtocol

07-20-2013

It looks like a pretty solid idea. It may be hard for the lower leagues, but at least it proves whether if the player deserves to be in that specific league/division or not.

oh btw, Normals > Rank. Yeeee.

Kelarm

07-20-2013

This is a good idea, but the whole idea of the promotion series is just silly in my opinion. I don't understand why the league system as a whole has to be so awkward and nonsensical.

Why can't you get demoted down to a lower league if you don't belong in your current one? Why does LP clamping have to exist? Why do we have to go through promotion series? There's really no reason for any of these things.

The elo system was fine. But, as do many gaming companies, Riot decided to fix something that wasn't broken. But I still don't understand why this league system has to be so unnecessarily complicated. You should just move up a division/league when you pass the 100 point mark. If you're Gold 3 96lp and you get +17, you should just become Gold 2 13 lp. There's no reason for any of this bs to exist in the first place.

Fallen Templar

07-20-2013

why are we not funding this idea???
http://static1.fjcdn.com/comments/45...7677c998c3.jpg

12345 ... 9