Grumpy Monkey's Art Thread

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BelligerentGnu

07-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Monkey View Post
Thanks for the kind words you guys.
Cheepysheepy, that is a great image and pretty much exactly what I was thinking. It might be a while though before we get to Lulu. Still have to get through the worst offenders. When the time comes though, I would love to just get all the Girl Yordles in one dev cycle. Poppy need so much love, Tristana is pretty cute in some of her more recent skins, but we need to go back to some of the earlier stuff and update it, and Lulu's chubby face of course. Just listing them got me thinking we really do need two more Girl Yordle champs, maybe a jungler and a mid. Then you could do a Yordle girl power comp lol.
Please don't touch Tristana's classic skin, it's my favourite in the game :/

dct2000

07-05-2013

On the topic of Lulu, what's up with her Dragon Trainer face? It fixes her fat problems, but replaces it with a unfitting doll face. I mean, on her splash art, it looks cute. On her model? Not so much. Albeit, it looks okay, it's just that it feels out of place. The adjusted Lulu face is the perfect one: small face, and small lips.

HigeR

07-05-2013

YES! more yordles grumpy! specially female ones! but yeah I think you guys should revise them a bit, specially poppy whom, I think, looks very cool in her blacksmith skin and her battle regalia skin! also her chinese artwork is kind of superb... I can't wait for you guys to do the pass on bandle city u.u and as a small jewel and self promotion... I'll leave this link here :P

Corki!

Rivini

07-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapySheepy View Post
On the topic of yordles, I hope that Lulu's classic+bittersweet+wicked skins get the work done to her face.
All the rest of the yordles have cute, small heads and such, whilst LuLu gains these massive cheeks out of nowhere.

They fixed this with the Dragon Trainer Lulu, which is amazing, but I wish the same could happen to the rest of her (I have all the skins and I play Dragon Trainer a lot more than the others just for this reason T_T)

I know that IronStylus said that it's on the list, but I just want to see if you are aware of this Grumpy, seeing as you may of modeled her.

Note: Your art is awesome, would love to see some Lissandra & Diana work if there is any you can grab on. <3333

http://i.imgur.com/PZ7H6rZ.jpg

Note: Image is not mines, and I have no idea who's it is sadly.
I showed it to Grumpy first!

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...8#post39332368

Rivini

07-05-2013

Quote:
Cheepysheepy, that is a great image and pretty much exactly what I was thinking. It might be a while though before we get to Lulu. Still have to get through the worst offenders. When the time comes though, I would love to just get all the Girl Yordles in one dev cycle. Poppy need so much love, Tristana is pretty cute in some of her more recent skins, but we need to go back to some of the earlier stuff and update it, and Lulu's chubby face of course. Just listing them got me thinking we really do need two more Girl Yordle champs, maybe a jungler and a mid. Then you could do a Yordle girl power comp lol.
I've been wondering though how much work is required to push in her cheeks. Isn't it something that would only take a few minutes, maybe half an hour? Or is it not that simple and you guys want to do more adjusting to her?

Also yes, we need more yordles! Of any gender (preferably female)! The last one was Lulu in March 2012!

We only have 3 females among the 11 yordles. Riot, pls.

Rawrsome

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-05-2013

Quote:
I kind of like the different kinds of faces... Its very Floops Flooglies, although fuglie.

Keep stuff different please, like I said in an earlier post, Corki shares his hairlessness with Kennen, you don't have to change Corki, just give him some furry skins like Kennen does. I like Corki as he is. I also like how Poppy is so moon faced, though she does need work, you can keep them looking so diverse and still have them look aesthetically pleasing and attractive. You can also just have furry rodent-like skins for female Yordles for people that would prefer that again like how you did with Kennen. When we gonna get a furry Veigar skin? Why he always gotta look like a minion? Then we can make fun of him for being cute and evil, more so than tiny and evil.

Everyone is gonna have different opinions. Honestly, I only play champions I think are appealing visually, and that doesn't mean Battle Bunny Riven, I love Maokai, Malzahar, Soraka (LOVE new Soraka), etcetera. Also, unlike most people I couldn't even look at Trundle, I would censor him with my thumb on the monitor, and now I might even unlock him. I loved watching your video of you sculpting him and I think it was a drastic improvement. Its great. I think people are just huffy for the most part that his lore changed from being a hero to a villain. Maybe you could have a Frozen Watcher Betrayer Trundle skin to help settle those fans ruffled feathers, it would even fit with Trundles character... "Outsmart anyone you can't beat, and beat anyone you can't outsmart." Trundle ain't got time for no Watchers. He's troll king! King!

Fomorian27

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-05-2013

i dunno, i like lulu as she is..

Tigernmas

07-07-2013

Quote:
It depends really. Riot is a pretty dynamic company. Speaking for myself, I am sometimes working on three or four models at the same time all in different phases of development. Just recently I was working on drawings for the Sion Rework, Drawings and meetings about the Twitch rework, Sculpting the base and skins for Sivir,working on the final geometry and textures for Master Yi as well as working on the new base for an as of yet unannounced rework. So yeah it gets pretty dynamic and you have to know your limits and what you can and can't do within the timelines you are given.
But back when I was on champion team, I was usually working on two things at a time. One champion that is currently in production, and one that is in pre-production. Pretty easy. Skins team is crazy though, you can be working on a lot of things at the same time just like the rework team. But at the end of the day it really boils down to the individual artist, as to their own capacity and what keeps them in the state of mind to produce their best work.
I hadn't heard about any Twitch rework... the things you learn while looking at awesome art

Sadistic Lulu

Recruiter

07-16-2013

this thread deserves a bump. i was hoping to see some more awesome concepts and such.
come back :c

Grumpy Monkey

Senior Character Artist

07-18-2013
31 of 34 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisDerpina View Post
this thread deserves a bump. i was hoping to see some more awesome concepts and such.
come back :c
Im Back! I have some Nami stuff this time around. Here is the sculpt for Nami that was used for the in-game model, and Here are some of the concepts and pitch art that the awesome Gem Lim created for Nami! I also found some of the models for Nami's joke animation. The shark was for her base skin, and the Koi are for Her koi skin. They used to be three colors, but after looking at it in game it was deemed too noisy so we made them one color.

https://vimeo.com/70573588

Attached Images
File Type: jpg priestess_of_the_tides_simplified.jpg (3.73 MB, 722 views)
File Type: jpg priestess_of_the_tides_portrait.jpg (2.34 MB, 669 views)
File Type: jpg Mermaid_sculpt.jpg (603.7 KB, 1164 views)
File Type: jpg three_koi.jpg (174.4 KB, 566 views)
File Type: jpg three_sharks.jpg (185.4 KB, 570 views)