Akali Splash Art

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ico

07-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotSilver View Post
Dudes!

Akali is definitely a splash that we're looking to have reworked very soon. I'm actually already in the process of working on it and I'm pretty stoked to say that it should reflect her game-play a lot more than the one currently in game (akali is my main).

It's gonna take a little bit of time, but we will be getting to every base splash that doesn't meet our current quality standards as well as the ones we feel don't quite fit the character. Bear with us, and definitely keep sending your feedback!

Peace out!

Out of curiosity what's the process before a piece actually makes it in game? Why do the splash art updates take so long? Do the artist also work in different fields? How large of a team of artists do you have?

I don't want to come off as rude, I'm actually just curious as to how the process happens.

Thanks!

Wobiwobi

07-08-2013

let's use Chinese version of classic splash art for Akali?
http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Akali/SkinsTrivia

Ashes Boobs

07-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by °LordSeth View Post
As long as the sideboob remains

Misogoop6

07-08-2013

Poppy desperately needs a new splash too.

Flames of Rage

07-08-2013

Quote:
Dudes!

Akali is definitely a splash that we're looking to have reworked very soon. I'm actually already in the process of working on it and I'm pretty stoked to say that it should reflect her game-play a lot more than the one currently in game (akali is my main).

It's gonna take a little bit of time, but we will be getting to every base splash that doesn't meet our current quality standards as well as the ones we feel don't quite fit the character. Bear with us, and definitely keep sending your feedback!

Peace out!
If it's you Silver, I expect great things. Terrible, but great things.

Akali is my main too ♥

Marcelus

07-08-2013

Maokai's default splash art is horrendous. Please fix!

CarelessSummoner

07-08-2013

Quote:
Dudes!

Peace out!

Rip Sideboob

HolyMudkip

07-08-2013

keep the sideboob please~

RiotSilver

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Splash Artist

07-08-2013
2 of 5 Riot Posts

When will Junkyard and Lil Slugger Trundle splashes be updated?

These, like the Nidalee skin splashes will be of the first skin splashes to be reworked. Right now our main goal with splash reworks is to address all of the base splashes first, and then we will work on a priority list for skins, which will be judged based on both quality standards and on which skins are the furthest from their in game model counterparts (skins that have had their VU will for the most part be very high on this list.)

Out of curiosity what's the process before a piece actually makes it in game? Why do the splash art updates take so long? Do the artist also work in different fields? How large of a team of artists do you have?

Splash team is currently a team of 8 artists who are more or less dedicated to working on splash art. We are all league players. Sometimes we work on concepts, and sometimes concept artists will also work on splashes. Each splash takes between 3-4 weeks. We start with a set of thumbnail sketches (around 3-6) and decide on which has the best composition and best fits the character. From there we create a few quick color sketches from the picked thumbnail to decide on which mood feels right. From there it's all about drawing it out and rendering until it's done. The rendering process differs slightly when considering if the splash will be animated for a login screen or not, but that mainly just pertains to how many layers in Photoshop we will use.

Kaiceytron

07-08-2013

Quote:
When will Junkyard and Lil Slugger Trundle splashes be updated?

These, like the Nidalee skin splashes will be of the first skin splashes to be reworked. Right now our main goal with splash reworks is to address all of the base splashes first, and then we will work on a priority list for skins, which will be judged based on both quality standards and on which skins have the furthest from their in game model counterparts (skins that have had their VU will for the most part be very high on this list.)

Splash team is currently a team of 8 artists who are more or less dedicated to working on splash art. We are all league players. Sometimes we work on concepts, and sometimes concept artists will also work on splashes. Each splash takes between 3-4 weeks. We start with a set of thumbnail sketches (around 3-6) and decide on which has the best composition and best fits the character. From there we create a few quick color sketches from the picked thumbnail to decide on which mood feels right. From there it's all about drawing it out and rendering until it's done. The rendering process differs slightly when considering if the splash will be animated for a login screen or not, but that mainly just pertains to how many layers in Photoshop we will use.
I'm a bit disappointed that Trundle is getting new splash next. Karma was reworked before him, and will she get any new splash? Traditional Karma is one of, if not the worst splash in the game.

Edit: I'm stupid