Grumpy Monkey's Art Thread

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Aviatrix

07-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivini View Post
That's what I don't like about Corki's appearance. He looks like a human midget rather than a yordle. Maybe there's some hidden lore explaining that he shaves or something?
I didn't know Corki was a yordle for the longest time. I always thought he was a tiny human as well. He looks like neither the females nor the males.

And I like the explanation of males being furry rodents being because they have the whole peacock syndrome. While females are blue to purple.
I figured the skin under the males' fur was blue or purple - which is why Corki made zero sense to me.

exe3

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Monkey View Post
I think that's the tough question. What would you rather have? The females looking more like they belong with the likes of ziggs , rumble, teemo etc., or we take the males and make them more along the lines of tristana, poppy, and lulu.
I could imagine Tristana being hairy but Poppy and especially Lulu would look horrible being hairy (Lulu would lose a LOT of charm imo). On the other hand Ziggs (especially), Rumble and Teemo would all 100% lose their charm being more gnome like. I think if you needed to change them the best thing to do would be to make them separate species like they apparently originally were.

If I were forced to choose i'd go down the path with the males but again I think you'd kill Lulu and to a lesser extent Poppy by doing this.

Grumpy Monkey

Senior Character Artist

07-01-2013
28 of 34 Riot Posts

Yeah, it's a sensitive subject, which is why we will look at it from all angles if and when we ever decide to do something. For now there are no plans do do anything to yordles as far as making the genders match, they are pretty good the way they are aside from potential art fidelity issues.

Iripley

07-01-2013

Good I like em the way they are, this is a fantasy game. I do not see what is so wrong for a fantasy race to have the majority of the males look like animals while some look more human and the females are blue to purple. I could make up a reason that happens and explain it in 2 sentences. Here let me try.

Most males of the Yordle race have animal like features though some who associate with other races sometimes take on the features of that race through some mystical blah de blah. The females of the Yordle race are blue to purple and smooth skinned it is not clear why these differences occur, though certain Zaun scientists have expressed an interest in experimenting to see why.

And done

Grumpy Monkey

Senior Character Artist

07-01-2013
29 of 34 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iripley View Post
Good I like em the way they are, this is a fantasy game. I do not see what is so wrong for a fantasy race to have the majority of the males look like animals while some look more human and the females are blue to purple. I could make up a reason that happens and explain it in 2 sentences. Here let me try.

Most males of the Yordle race have animal like features though some who associate with other races sometimes take on the features of that race through some mystical blah de blah. The females of the Yordle race are blue to purple and smooth skinned it is not clear why these differences occur, though certain Zaun scientists have expressed an interest in experimenting to see why.

And done
Works for Me.

Adjective Object

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-01-2013

Quote:
I think that's the tough question. What would you rather have? The females looking more like they belong with the likes of ziggs , rumble, teemo etc., or we take the males and make them more along the lines of tristana, poppy, and lulu.
I kind of like how the female yordles have a different feel than the male ones. It makes me think that they've got some cool gender dimorphism stuff going on (see also: angler fish). In my opinion that makes them more interesting of a species.

Besides, it's nice to have little artifacts of the game's history. Pretty soon no one will remember what Meglings were. For me at least, being able to see little artifacts of a game's development, or WIP pieces (like the ones in this thread!) never fails to get me more interested.

FA Aokiji

07-01-2013

Number 3 master yi looks so badass :x

David Hume

07-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iripley View Post

And done
Because the trope, when applied casually, is that male characters can look like whatever they want, but female charaters must must must have some sexually attractive element. Compare Renekton vs. Cassiopeia, Skarner vs. Elise.

Cute furry hamster mech pilot boy? Cool, if the mech has enough flamethrowers.
Cute furry hamster girl? Now that's just bestiality.

It's symptomatic of approaching character design with the idea that "females must be f***able or no one will like them."

Hrud

07-01-2013

Quote:
I'd like to see Riot keep going with the smooth-skinned females and rodent-like males. The reverse would be cool too, as long as the difference between males and females is kept.

No, I don't even consider Heimerdinger and Corki to be Yordles. They are too different from the other males yordles for me to consider them as such.

Mirror

07-01-2013

Quote:
I think it makes the most sense to align all the yordles with Teemo/Ziggs. No one is going to weep at the addition of maybe some tufts of fur around the ears for Tristana and Poppy, whereas turning Teemo into a rosy-faced tiny human would be hugely disruptive.

And the "men are furry, women are gnomes" argument doesn't work, simply because of Heimerdinger.
Edit: Oh, and as mentioned above, Corki.