Grumpy Monkey's Art Thread

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Grumpy Monkey

Senior Character Artist

07-01-2013
26 of 34 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Method512 View Post
The squils are so cute!
I dont post much, but that doesnt mean Im not keeping track of this thread.
One small question... are you posting this only here or on other sites..like your online portfolio (if you have one) or deviantart?
Also, do you usually draw concepts (lol related or not) that you can share, or do you usually keep them for yourself, incase you see a chance to implement it and dont want the art used before, kinda screwing your chances to do said concept?
Great question. Stuff like this I am mostly just posting here. A lot of it is just quick sketches and viewport renders, and I don't think would have much meaning to people that weren't into league of legends. I do have art that is not Lol related, some of it I keep to myself to pitch as future champions, and some I put up on deviant art, cghub etc.

Mirror

07-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Monkey View Post
Honestly, that's the way Her face was in the model sheet, In those days we relied on outsourcers a lot (See my hecarim post) so when I got to it the bones had already been put in place according to that position. So there was nothing I could do. But I do think that Yordles will need a unification pass. This is a touchy subject for some people, so I don't want to get into it too much, but I would like the yordles to be unified as a species. So when that happens, I would suspect that most of the female yordles will get some attention from the art team. And no, I don't know when it will happen so don't ask
Just from a thematic/art direction perspective, do you think you guys will decide to go gnome (Tristana, Poppy, Lulu) or rodent (Teemo, Rumble, Ziggs)?

Grumpy Monkey

Senior Character Artist

07-01-2013
27 of 34 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror View Post
Just from a thematic/art direction perspective, do you think you guys will decide to go gnome (Tristana, Poppy, Lulu) or rodent (Teemo, Rumble, Ziggs)?
I think that's the tough question. What would you rather have? The females looking more like they belong with the likes of ziggs , rumble, teemo etc., or we take the males and make them more along the lines of tristana, poppy, and lulu.

NotBuzzJack

07-01-2013

Quote:
I think that's the tough question. What would you rather have? The females looking more like they belong with the likes of ziggs , rumble, teemo etc., or we take the males and make them more along the lines of tristana, poppy, and lulu.
Either one would have strong negative feedback.

Zerglinator

07-01-2013

Quote:
I'd rather keep them varied. Like how humans are varied. Maybe add some explanation to it but I prefer the idea of diversity within yordles.

Arance

07-01-2013

Quote:
Very tough, I like both directions, but don't think I'd like either applied to the other gender.

Then there's Corki... in that weird middle space.

Rivini

07-01-2013

Quote:
I'd say leave them as they are (thematically). I feel the way they are now is something that's far too late to change without upsetting everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryptomine View Post
Then there's Corki... in that weird middle space.
That's what I don't like about Corki's appearance. He looks like a human midget rather than a yordle. Maybe there's some hidden lore explaining that he shaves or something?

Labcown

07-01-2013

Quote:
I think the variety; Furry and Cute (Rodent) vs Humanoid and Realistic (Gnome) both have their purposes when portraying yordles, and would be saddened to see either of these types used to stereotype Yordles as a race into something less unique.

As I see it, this whole Rodent Vs Realistic is just a parallel to Rural Vs Urbanized Yordles, with Teemo, Ziggs, and Rumble being the more "feral", while Tristana, Poppy, and Lulu (Who should belong to the feral group!) are all more tame and have physical characteristics to back this up.

That being said, one of the the early posts that brought up the creepy chipmunk faces should be addressed. That face structure can be kept for the feral group, but toned down to make them not look like mutants.

Labcown

07-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivini View Post
I'd say leave them as they are (thematically). I feel the way they are now is something that's far too late to change without upsetting everyone.

That's what I don't like about Corki's appearance. He looks like a human midget rather than a yordle. Maybe there's some hidden lore explaining that he shaves or something?
According to a previous post, I think he fits in with Tristana, Lulu, and Poppy, but agree that he lies on an extreme as to what that archetype is: The Gnome Yordles, AKA the civilized more realistic less cutesy and less furry yordles.

Besides maybe Heimerdinger, he is (or looks) like one of the few Yordles who are up there in years. I like that aspect of him, the Grizzled Veteran who clings to old Military Phrases (Whiskey Tango Foxtrot anyone?!).

Doctor Mako

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-01-2013

Quote:
That's silly and unnecessary. Different genders can easily have different characteristics. It doesn't make sense to alter a character's appearance for a superficial notion of normalcy. Players aren't bothered by the difference in Yordle gender appearance, you'll only upset fans of the characters.