Grumpy Monkey's Art Thread

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

dafedidi

06-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Monkey View Post
Great work. Love the zac passive! I remember first staring out, uv mapping took me forever to wrap my head around. Keep on it! The best way to get better is to keep making stuff!

Thanks dude.

zepher234

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-01-2013

It's me again!

Okay so I've started using Zbrush, and I can't stop watching that Trundle Speedsculpt (I hope to see more of those vids!). One thing I've noticed is the model is very pixel-y looking when you're getting all the proportions and forms right... then it looks smooth when you started sculpting the face.

Is there a reason for that? All my models in Zbrush are just pixel-like. If that makes sense...

I'm a Zbrush noob :C

Dryad Soraka

07-01-2013

Hey Grumpy! It's florrie. Anything you can say about the Soraka icons? :P

Grumpy Monkey

Senior Character Artist

07-01-2013
23 of 34 Riot Posts

Dryad Soraka:, I have shown your thread to our icon guy he hasn't gotten back to me yet.
zepher234: I start out at a very low resolution it is much faster and easier on the system to start low for the big forms and to begin to subdivide only when you are happy with your major forms and silhouettes. To get more polygons just hit SHIFT+D I think, also if you look in the "Geometry" Tab off to the right you will see the sub D button, I recommended getting on youtube for some simple tutorials about getting around the interface.

Here are some things that got done for Master Yi, the original paint over that was made on the current model, some super derpy concepts for the Chosen on skin, and the Assassin skin. I am only putting these up to show that in production, the idea and execution are priority. The concept shows the shape, and as for colors we used what was already in game. There was some discussion on assassin Yi, whether we should make him straight black and grey like he is currently or to use the colors that are used in the splash. We chose to use the splash because we don't like using straight black on anything in our game.

I also found some stuff on Lulu! I worked on her when I first Joined the Champion team. Did you know that her polymorph spell originally turned you into a ladybug?? I know right! I thought it was awesome too. But here's the thing, design wanted something that would give more of an audio queue as to when the spell has taken effect. So we messed around with making her turn you into a pig. Well there were some cultural concerns with that one so we nixed it. I was goofing off one day and pitched a flying pig that farted rainbows, was good for a laugh, but was a no-go.
CaptainLX suggested we play around with woodland creatures, so I started concepting little critters, we eventually settled on a cute little two tailed pink squirrel type creature we called a "Squil" because that's how my daughter said it. Oh and did you know that Lulu used to be called "Waena" in production? I still think its a cute name, and can't remember why we changed it, I think it was hard for some people to pronounce.
Also, for the dark candy skin at one time we where playing with the idea of turning you into a Derpy Donut. Cupcake is way better lol.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg assassin_yi.jpg (234.9 KB, 1629 views)
File Type: jpg Chosenone_yi.jpg (252.9 KB, 1390 views)
File Type: jpg pigs_and_Bugs.jpg (448.2 KB, 18798 views)
File Type: jpg furble2.jpg (1.12 MB, 19267 views)
File Type: jpg squils.jpg (527.3 KB, 18728 views)
File Type: jpg pigasus.jpg (360.8 KB, 18801 views)
File Type: jpg Team_Lulu.jpg (207.6 KB, 18673 views)
File Type: jpg Derpy_the_Doughnut.jpg (218.4 KB, 18905 views)
File Type: jpg Master Yi Paintover.jpg (3.05 MB, 2488 views)
File Type: jpg squil.jpg (626.4 KB, 18812 views)

Fomorian27

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-01-2013

Is there any chance of making chosen yi more like the current splash? The white and aqua is a lot more apparent there, while the new one is more brown. Assassin master yi looks a lot like nemesis jax. Was that intentional?

Rivini

07-01-2013

You worked on Lulu?!

I gotta ask you this question then because IronStylus left my thread without answering it. =\
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3498691

Anyway, why was her in-game face made that way with the wide cheeks? Was it because of readability reasons like I assumed?

Grumpy Monkey

Senior Character Artist

07-01-2013
24 of 34 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fomorian27 View Post
Is there any chance of making chosen yi more like the current splash? The white and aqua is a lot more apparent there, while the new one is more brown. Assassin master yi looks a lot like nemesis jax. Was that intentional?
No it was not intentional, Our game engine has some weird quirks to it when it comes to color. White is very hard to pull off in our game engine, because it tends to blow out. We try to stick more to values in hue that allude to a certain color rather than use the actual color. So nemesis Jax and Assassin Yi are supposed to be in black robes, But we can't use straight black so we use a dark blue and variations of it so that we can get the appropriate volumes and feel in the texture.

Grumpy Monkey

Senior Character Artist

07-01-2013
25 of 34 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivini View Post
You worked on Lulu?!

I gotta ask you this question then because IronStylus left my thread without answering it. =\
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3498691

Anyway, why was her in-game face made that way with the wide cheeks? Was it because of readability reasons like I assumed?
Honestly, that's the way Her face was in the model sheet, In those days we relied on outsourcers a lot (See my hecarim post) so when I got to it the bones had already been put in place according to that position. So there was nothing I could do. But I do think that Yordles will need a unification pass. This is a touchy subject for some people, so I don't want to get into it too much, but I would like the yordles to be unified as a species. So when that happens, I would suspect that most of the female yordles will get some attention from the art team. And no, I don't know when it will happen so don't ask

Method512

07-01-2013

The squils are so cute!
I dont post much, but that doesnt mean Im not keeping track of this thread.
One small question... are you posting this only here or on other sites..like your online portfolio (if you have one) or deviantart?
Also, do you usually draw concepts (lol related or not) that you can share, or do you usually keep them for yourself, incase you see a chance to implement it and dont want the art used before, kinda screwing your chances to do said concept?

Rivini

07-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Monkey View Post
Honestly, that's the way Her face was in the model sheet, In those days we relied on outsourcers a lot (See my hecarim post) so when I got to it the bones had already been put in place according to that position. So there was nothing I could do. But I do think that Yordles will need a unification pass. This is a touchy subject for some people, so I don't want to get into it too much, but I would like the yordles to be unified as a species. So when that happens, I would suspect that most of the female yordles will get some attention from the art team. And no, I don't know when it will happen so don't ask
But I wanted to ask...

I appreciate knowing now the backstory of her cheeks.