Grumpy Monkey's Art Thread

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Albireo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-26-2013

I have always have a question about characther modelers, do you usally focus in one model at a time and make changes arround it due feedback and design changes, and then just move to another project when it's finish?

Or it's something more dynamic? with you going arround more than one project, and team every day?

Thank you for the awesome thread

dontbeafraid1

06-26-2013

I would like to thank you Grumpy Monkey, I just downloaded sculpturis and am having a ton of fun with it.

Sacredlord

06-26-2013

when can we expect this

Grumpy Monkey

Senior Character Artist

06-27-2013
21 of 34 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albireo View Post
I have always have a question about characther modelers, do you usally focus in one model at a time and make changes arround it due feedback and design changes, and then just move to another project when it's finish?

Or it's something more dynamic? with you going arround more than one project, and team every day?

Thank you for the awesome thread
It depends really. Riot is a pretty dynamic company. Speaking for myself, I am sometimes working on three or four models at the same time all in different phases of development. Just recently I was working on drawings for the Sion Rework, Drawings and meetings about the Twitch rework, Sculpting the base and skins for Sivir,working on the final geometry and textures for Master Yi as well as working on the new base for an as of yet unannounced rework. So yeah it gets pretty dynamic and you have to know your limits and what you can and can't do within the timelines you are given.
But back when I was on champion team, I was usually working on two things at a time. One champion that is currently in production, and one that is in pre-production. Pretty easy. Skins team is crazy though, you can be working on a lot of things at the same time just like the rework team. But at the end of the day it really boils down to the individual artist, as to their own capacity and what keeps them in the state of mind to produce their best work.

CragBlade

06-27-2013

Twitch better still be the Plague Rat

I also hope you make Sion look awesome.

CragBlade

06-28-2013

bump

Sadistic Lulu

06-28-2013

another glorious bump

dafedidi

06-29-2013

The only two things I realize to do in blender was TF and Zac passive. Sadly, I'm bad with UV Mapping and texture. I just don't understand how people do to have such amazing texture and UV mapping.

http://imgur.com/QKB5Kfi
http://imgur.com/VQEBEGl

Grumpy Monkey

Senior Character Artist

06-30-2013
22 of 34 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafedidi View Post
The only two things I realize to do in blender was TF and Zac passive. Sadly, I'm bad with UV Mapping and texture. I just don't understand how people do to have such amazing texture and UV mapping.

http://imgur.com/QKB5Kfi
http://imgur.com/VQEBEGl
Great work. Love the zac passive! I remember first staring out, uv mapping took me forever to wrap my head around. Keep on it! The best way to get better is to keep making stuff!

Organ Seller

06-30-2013

Cool Master Yi model.
Have you made any Basketball Darius models or sketches? Just curious.

I would like to see them if you have made some, if possible.