PSA: Do Not Pin League of Legends to the Dock

First Riot Post
123456 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sephrinx

06-20-2013

I have had my League of Legends 'Pinned to my dock" since I installed it 2+ years ago. I've never had any problems.

Windows 7 64bit.

http://i.imgur.com/Fwi995w.png

Brentmeister

Associate Software Engineer

06-20-2013
4 of 9 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror View Post
Is it safe to keep the game-game in the Dock? I haven't experienced any problems with it, and it's faster than clicking Reconnect, especially because the orange Reconnect button fails to appear on the Mac PvP.net Client like 70% of the time after a DC/crash.
Added new lines just for you.
"Heaven forbid I pin the game-game
that would just be lame-lame"
You can do what you're talking about but it will break every patch.

Brentmeister

06-20-2013
5 of 9 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephrinx View Post
I have had my League of Legends 'Pinned to my dock" since I installed it 2+ years ago. I've never had any problems.

Windows 7 64bit.

http://i.imgur.com/Fwi995w.png
This is because we haven't patched the windows launcher for about 2 years. Once we start patching it again this will break.

Brennivin

06-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotBrentmeister View Post
This is because we haven't patched the windows launcher for about 2 years. Once we start patching it again this will break.
What causes the issue?

Yangpoo

06-20-2013

Does this relate to the "server maestro error" or something. Because suddenly my terminal app launches and all sort of weird messages start popping up.

But OK...basically don't put LoL in the dock and run from finder?

Brentmeister

06-20-2013
6 of 9 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennivin View Post
What causes the issue?
We constantly move around the air client, game client and Launcher executables. The proper way to start League is through "League of Legends.app" and "lol.launcher.exe"(different from "LolLauncher.exe"). However most people end up pinning "LoL Launcher.app" or "LolLauncher.exe". These .exes move with each patch and end up invalidating your shortcut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yangpoo View Post
Does this relate to the "server maestro error" or something. Because suddenly my terminal app launches and all sort of weird messages start popping up.

But OK...basically don't put LoL in the dock and run from finder?
I could see your problem being caused by a bad pin. Try running from finder or carefully following the notes I put at the end of my original post.

CabecoteNA

06-20-2013

Is this problem only affecting NA? Because I don't see a PSA on EUW. I'm kinda freaking out :/

Yangpoo

06-20-2013

Quote:

I could see your problem being caused by a bad pin. Try running from finder or carefully following the notes I put at the end of my original post.
Hmm..this problem did not exist during the 3.7 patch -> 3.8 patch though. It only appears after the small hotfix 3.8 patch two days ago.

The application will still run/launch as normal, but out of nowhere my cmd/terminal launches at the same time and a lot of weird commands start coming out. If I click the cmd/terminal icon, the PvP automatically launch itself but shows the "server maestro error" and the PvP auto closes.

At the same time, the game itself will run as normal, but I get huge fluctuating lag spikes (ping goes to something like 500-700) especially when other players appear in map.

Anyways I am reinstalling now and will run from the finder, let's see how it goes.

Mirror

06-21-2013

Quote:
Just for you. You can do what you're talking about but it will break every patch.
I know we're a very small community of Mac players, but I am actually not the only person experiencing the vanishing reconnect button:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gip213 View Post
Bumping, still a huge problem + another related problem.
When it crashes in loading (Maestro etc), I have no option to reconnect, and when I close client (the popup says League of Legends is now attempting to exit), nothing happens and I have to -> Activity Monitor and Force Exit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedawg148 View Post
I just got disconnected from a ranked match 7 minutes in and I attempt to log back in and reconnect only to find that there is no reconnect button. It even let me join a new ranked match while my other ranked game was still being played. How?... just how does this happen..? This is a major issue.

Brentmeister

06-21-2013
7 of 9 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror View Post
I know we're a very small community of Mac players, but I am actually not the only person experiencing the vanishing reconnect button:
Sorry I edited my post you quoted. I kind of didn't finish my train of thought. What I meant to say was I edited the poem just for you. I'm not sure about the vanishing reconnect button. Can you link to the threads about it? I'd rather not derail this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabecoteNA View Post
Is this problem only affecting NA? Because I don't see a PSA on EUW. I'm kinda freaking out :/
This affects all region. Sorry my EUW account broke . I'll see what I can do about getting it working again.

123456 ... 9