[Masteries] Ardor - An Analysis Attesting Absolute Awfulness & Arguable Alternatives

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CosMoe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-05-2010

Arrrrr....

Let's start the analysis by calculating the worth of Greed, a mastery that is usually (and wrongly!) regarded as one of the worst masteries:
For one single point you get 180 gold for an average, 30 minutes long match. If you still think Greed is bad, please remember its gold worth for the explanations below.

Now let me tell you why I truly think Ardor is one of the worst masteries to put points in, especially for tanks:

1. It's deep down in the defensive tree which is primarily for tanks (i.e. it's a tank's best choice), yet it's buffing offensive stats.
  2. Almost no tank can really use AS or AP, and only very few Champions can really use both.
  3. You need 3 points to get the 4% bonus on both AS and AP.
  4. Most tanks already have a very low base attack speed and don't stack AP, thus 4% of these values will be really low.
  5. AS bonus: Item-wise, using Recurve Bow for this calculation, such a 4% increase is worth (1050/40)*4 = 105 gold. Thus, each single point is worth 35 gold, which is about 20% of Greed's worth.
  6. AP bonus: This heavily depends on how much AP you actually have. Using Needlessly Large Rod for this calculation, for each 100 AP you have it's worth about (1600/80)*4 = 80 gold. Thus, each single point is worth 27 gold, which is about 15% of Greed's worth. However, if you have less than 100 AP it's even less efficient.
  7. Summing up, for the average tank that does not stack AP, each point put in this mastery is at most 20% as cost-effective as one single point in Greed. Generally, it's only better than Greed if you have more than 543.75 AP. O_O!

Hokay, now that we have established how bad Ardor actually is, RIOT should switch it for some (defensive!) alternative, don't you think?

How about:

• reduces damage from critical strikes by 3/6/9% (a direct counter to the Lethality mastery).
  • reduces all magic damage by 2/4/6 (this is especially strong against low-damage spells, e.g. DoTs).
  • reduces all AoE magic damage by 1.5/3/4.5% (this is especially strong against AoE teams).
  • reduces the duration of CC effects by 2/4/6% (good for every Champion).
  • increases your armor and magic resistance by 2/4/6% (especially good for tank Champions).

If you can think of better alternatives, please post.

8llllllD pap pap

11-05-2010

I've got an alternative for you.

Go outside.

Zyxt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-05-2010

Great points stated, but we all know we came in here because the title is a blast.

imhuge

11-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaksheri View Post

Go outside.
lol

wheresmyfreename

11-05-2010

Yeah, because carries don't like speccing 21 in defense at all...

Steven Jackson

11-05-2010

It certainly is awful-bad. Honestly it should probably be changed to something that is actually defensive, or stay how it is. Simply because if it provides too much of a bonus to offense, there really wouldn't be very much of a point to putting more than 9 points in the offensive masteries.

Zerødamage

11-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaksheri View Post

Go outside.
That's such a good suggestion, maybe you should do it Oaksheri.

On topic: Looks good, sounds good make it happen.

Bainemo

11-05-2010

Ardor is a hybrid's best friend. If you are a hybrid, you should take Ardor. If not, you shouldn't.

4kk1

11-05-2010

@OP. Thanks for the detailled analysis. Ardor is the reason why I never spec to Tenacity. There should really be a better alternative.

TehGus

11-05-2010

Masteries are already being remade and they are taking brains into consideration.

@4kk1: Reinforce ftw.