This client is so horrible...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Damiya

Technical Analyst

06-18-2013
1 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxAmidstStars View Post
Consider this. At the time of this game's creation Adobe AIR was all they had available to them. Do you know how hard it would be to convert their client to a different system?
There's nothing inherently wrong with AIR, and in fact the vast majority of our playerbase experiences the game with few PVP.net problems.

The process of replacing legacy code with better implementations is ongoing, but such efforts will be largely minor or invisible in the short term; see the posts about Runes and Buddy Chat on the PBE, with a revamp to the Champion Inventory and Match History pages next at bat. You may not see it, but changes are happening and the client is being eased towards a more responsive and more maintanable state.

I understand that such claims don't mitigate the anger or lessen the frustration when the client goes sideways. Nobody here likes to read about players getting dropped or dodging a game because something broke. Those of us on the PVP.Net team will continue to work at improving the player experience, but it's a delicate (and slow) process. Like I said in the PBE thread on runes, it's like rebuilding an airplane engine at 35000 feet over the middle of the Pacific ocean: it's tricky, delicate work that needs to be done well.

Mynt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damiya View Post
There's nothing inherently wrong with AIR, and in fact the vast majority of our playerbase experiences the game with few PVP.net problems.
Well. It does use a metric **** load of RAM.

And it keeps using that RAM, even while playing a game. There's no reason to hold up 300+K for a chat client that's minimized in the background.

CommandShockwave

06-18-2013

Relevant:

na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3121952

Shaidster

06-18-2013

Quote:

The process of replacing legacy code with better implementations is ongoing, but such efforts will be largely minor or invisible in the immediate future. There's no silver bullet to reports of crashes that we can't reproduce or log around; we just have to keep plinking away at cleaning things up patch by patch and inch by inch.

That doesn't mitigate the anger or lessen the frustration when the client goes sideways; I get that, and I'm always saddened when I hear about a player getting dropped or dodging a game because something broke. Those of us on the PVP.Net team will continue to work at improving the player experience, but it's a delicate (and slow) process.
Why does the client use so much RAM when I just have the client open? There are games that I can play that run that much RAM that league uses in its idle stage.

Tyrannus0

Recruiter

06-18-2013

I've had a **** ton of crashes. In fact my game just crashed right now, conveniently. I've crashed up to four times trying to enter one game.

I've also had 1/4 of my games have the launcher crash mid-game.

Did I mention I can't exit my launcher normally/

Falling Objects

06-18-2013

Quote:
There's nothing inherently wrong with AIR
Then fix your programming, because no CLIENT should use as much (or sometimes more) memory then the GAME itself.

-Implying you're directly and solely responsible for the coding of the client

Gankdalf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynt View Post

And it keeps using that RAM, even while playing a game. There's no reason to hold up 300+K for a chat client that's minimized in the background.

/thread

/owned

+1

Sit down, Riot. You're drunk.

Damiya

Technical Analyst

06-18-2013
2 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynt View Post

Again, that's not a consequence of AIR itself. That's a consequence of the way the core of the client works. Efforts are being undertaken to improve the performance of the client and reduce the footprint, but there's no simple "Use less RAM" switch that can be flipped.

All I can do is ask for your patience; there's a lot of solid engineering being poured into the AIR client that you'll begin to experience in short order and that's not a 'soon' kind of promise. It's a "next patch, and the patch after that, and the one after that". Hang in there guys.

Ayreon

06-18-2013

#RedWedding

Ayreon

06-18-2013

#WhoopWhoopPullOvahDatAssTooFat