@Riot Diana Skin incoming?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mirror

06-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Fear not though, we have something in the works. Animation right now is going to have the bulk of the work for any subsequent Rumble skin however.
Just from a development standpoint (not asking for timelines), are there any other champions that fall under the umbrella of "hard to create a new shell"? The third outlier in the "skin pls" threads after Udyr and Rumble is probably Skarner. Is it hard to give him something that isn't a scorpion body because of animation, or is it just hard to think up a skin for him that isn't spider/scorpion?

You Suck

06-16-2013

Iron, can you please tell us of we can expect for the ultimate skin to be available soon?

Netteh

06-16-2013

oh parrot, you made me so happy reading this

VeddeV

06-16-2013

hmm, I don't own Diana , If I could ask a question relating to skins though, is Battlecast Skarner in the works? we need an entire battlecast team pls!

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

06-16-2013
5 of 12 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metronomotopoeia View Post
Just from a development standpoint (not asking for timelines), are there any other champions that fall under the umbrella of "hard to create a new shell"? The third outlier in the "skin pls" threads after Udyr and Rumble is probably Skarner. Is it hard to give him something that isn't a scorpion body because of animation, or is it just hard to think up a skin for him that isn't spider/scorpion?
Oh, that's a really great question. Skarner isn't as hard as you might think. You can make him into pretty much anything, from a bug, to a lobster, to a robot. Not sure the particulars as to why he hasn't gotten a skin yet, though.

Hmm, actually it's sort of multifaceted. Because there's champions who are hard to make skins for logistically (lot's of assets/models/particles/etc to make), conceptually (base lacks large silhouette landmarks, "big hook", etc), or technically (older champions, outdated rigs, etc).

So, here's a list of what just comes to mind for various reasons:

Evelynn - Technical.; Outdated model/rig/animations/etc
Fiora - Conceptual. Lacking large visual landmarks, she's mostly just a lady in a costume.
Hiemerdinger - Technical. Mostly, outdated.. everything.
Lissandra - Logistical. Holy ****, so many particles! All of those particles are separate models with seperate, and possibly, custom animations on them.
LeBlanc - Conceptual. She's actually one our most standard of standard human females.
Malphite - Technical. Not so much unusable rig, but still has it's challenges.
Master Yi - Technical. Pizza feet...
Rumble - Technical and logistical. As stated.
Shyvanna - Logistical. Basically two champions in one.
Sion - Technical. Yikes..
Sivir - Technical. Outdated model/rig/animations/particles.. So yeah, rework first.
Swain - Technical. Outdated assets, basically also two champions.
Taric - Technically outrageous. Outdated assets.
Teemo - Existential. Every subsequent skin we make for him unlocks another gateway to hell.
Twitch - Technical. Very outdated assets, he's actually missing legs I think.
Udyr - Technical and Logistical. Fairly outdated, but pretty much 4 different champions depending on complexity.
Varus - Conceptual. Dude with a bow and purple pants.
Xerath - Logistical. Piles of particle work and strange rig voodoo I have no idea how to even describe.
Zac - Conceptually and logistically. Virtually no differentiated landmarks on skins, pretty much all texture or animation behaviors can be leveraged.
Zilean - Outdate assets, but not really an animation nightmare. He floats.
Zyra - Conceptually and logistically. On her body, not a ton of distinquishing landmarks. All of her plants require new models and new animations.

REMINDER! The above list doesn't mean these champions a) will not have a skin for them any time soon b) are huge challenges to overcome c) don't already have stuff in the works despite challenges listed. This isn't a blacklist, this is just what comes to my mind when I think of champions we've had challenges with. Each of these challenges can be solved in it's own particular way. Things are solved sometimes in just updating the assets, like in the case of Tyrant Swain or Battlecast Urgot, or sometimes with a complete rebuild like any relaunch/VU we make. Very much depends on the champion and what we have to work with.

Netteh

06-16-2013

Quote:
Teemo - Existential. Every subsequent skin we make for him unlocks another gateway to hell.
And this is why we must find the demonstones

Kopikatsu

06-16-2013

Quote:
Next skin will be a bit more.. pretty(?) than DV. Little less dark, a little more elegant.

That ok?
Most important question: What will her hair be like?

The only reason I didn't get Dark Valkyrie is because I really am not a fan of her hairstyle. I don't mind of it's cut short or let loose/flowing, but the giant snake hairdo is just offputting.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

06-16-2013
6 of 12 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopikatsu View Post
Most important question: What will her hair be like?

The only reason I didn't get Dark Valkyrie is because I really am not a fan of her hairstyle. I don't mind of it's cut short or let loose/flowing, but the giant snake hairdo is just offputting.
Snake hair is one of the aspects about her we probably don't want to ditch just yet. It's a big read in game.

VeddeV

06-16-2013

could yorick be on that list?, he's a champ I really would love another skin for, not much into the pentakill skin, and I find the undertaker one pretty awful, even though it looks so awesome in the splash art .

Also... it's pretty cool you stay up this late lol

IS13c7fafe7804f7429d10e

06-16-2013

Quote:
Snake hair is one of the aspects about her we probably don't want to ditch just yet. It's a big read in game.
Is it possible to at least give her bangs or sth in one of her later skins (Doesn't need to be this one, just a general question)?

Just asking out of personal interest because I kinda like hair in/at the face. It has something wild and sexy IMO. If it covers major portions of the face, it also has something mysterious, like a veil. In fact, it's one of the best ways to make even very short haircuts look "good" on women (personal opinion).

Granted, that moon-mark on her forehead is an iconic symbol of hers, but that doesn't stop a centre-parting, similar to Soraka's horn.