BOTS in LoL

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Instinctive

12-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xocolatl View Post
May I propose a small Captcha right at the start of the game? Maybe every time your champ gets killed? (Just make it a bit easy to read). Bots will die very often anyway.
******ed idea. Not only would it be WAAAY annoying for any real players, it would also be hellishly inefficient. If you have ever used a download program like jdownloader with built in captcha recognition you'll know that a computer's ability to recognize that garbled lettering outstrips any untrained person's one by far.

PuppetSoul

12-11-2009

Personally I've never seen a bot in LoL, although I have no doubt that it's because I play at high elo.

So I don't really see a problem, as the bots are literally incapable of winning if all they do is feed into the enemy towers over and over (presumably intentionally losing for IP). Thus, while you might lose because a bots on your team, you might win the next one at the same chance (actually, BETTER chance, because your elo goes down, so you're less likely to be against a premade, and theres 4 possible spots on your team vs five for theirs). And you can queue dodge if you see the bot again. Thus, eventually it'll be 5 bot teams against normal teams, feeding you free wins and giving you slight elo boosts. And as your elo gets higher you'd go against non-bot teams.

And of course, you could prevent getting a possible bot on your team by premaking, but that goes without saying.

And the bots would become fairly obvious because their records would be like 0-29 with an elo of zero and zero lifetime player kills, making for easy deletion of those accounts.

Goth

12-11-2009

I've meet a bot once, he was playing as nunu, can't remember if he used skills but. he ran to the lane with the furthest turret and then keept pushing and ignoring what it was attacking, and eventually the other players killed him, and the feeding began.

imagine LoL in about 1 year from now, the bots will be a major issue.

PuppetSoul

12-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goth View Post
imagine LoL in about 1 year from now, the bots will be a major issue.
They'd rapidly descend to sub-1000 level where bots would end up in bot vs bot games. And everybody who fell below 1000 as a human would be artificially elevated back up above 1k by wasting a couple minutes doing comp-stomps. Doesn't seem like that huge of an issue tbqh.

SwampZero

12-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppetSoul View Post
They'd rapidly descend to sub-1000 level where bots would end up in bot vs bot games. And everybody who fell below 1000 as a human would be artificially elevated back up above 1k by wasting a couple minutes doing comp-stomps. Doesn't seem like that huge of an issue tbqh.
and every single newbie would have to wade through a swamp of bots for his first 20 games.

do yourself a favor and don't try to think stuff. You're not very good at it, and bot morality/consequences are already well documented in a plethora of online games, so you can just pick your favorite informed stance and stick with it.

TheVicious

12-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppetSoul View Post
So I don't really see a problem, as the bots are literally incapable of winning if all they do is feed into the enemy towers over and over (presumably intentionally losing for IP). Thus, while you might lose because a bots on your team, you might win the next one at the same chance (actually, BETTER chance, because your elo goes down, so you're less likely to be against a premade, and theres 4 possible spots on your team vs five for theirs). And you can queue dodge if you see the bot again. Thus, eventually it'll be 5 bot teams against normal teams, feeding you free wins and giving you slight elo boosts. And as your elo gets higher you'd go against non-bot teams.
Umm I see a major problem >.> especially for the players in the low to mid ELO brackets. I've seen a bot myself once, and it completely ruined the game for me. Either it would slowly walk around our jungle, enjoying the scene and the pretty textures of the neutral minions, or it would walk into the middle of a fight and kind of just sit there and /wave. It fed the other team about 19 kills if I remember correctly.

SevenVII

12-11-2009

The only one I have seen wasnt very complicated. It was basically just a script that had him move around the spawn point every few seconds, and he would spam /surrender over and over and over.

He also had it buy some items every so often, but never left the spawn, always spammed /surrender and when the 25 minute mark came up it allowed him to start the poll obviously. Funny thing was it was even spamming /surrender in the champ select where / commands arent allowed. I should have bailed then but didnt think it was truly a bot at that point, just some clown.

Reivur

12-11-2009

I've seen a bot before, but its a bit strange; your characteristics are different. I reported mine a week and a half ago. It was an Udyr. The one I saw would wait until minions spawned, and then when they spawned he'd go to the farthest active tower; always the northern tip of one, never any other placement. He'd then wait; indefinitely, unless something got into melee range of the tower, and then he'd walk up, auto attack it, and then walk back to the tip. (Similar to the "A" command characteristic of attacking anything at the point you specified.)

When the tower he was 'guarding' with auto attack gets destroyed, he'd just stand there like an idiot and then get killed. It would then usually take him another minute before he'd move to the next turret point. Repeat entire game. Quite frustrating; he more or less made me solo the lane but sapped my xp in the process.

PuppetSoul

12-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampZero View Post
and every single newbie would have to wade through a swamp of bots for his first 20 games.

do yourself a favor and don't try to think stuff. You're not very good at it, and bot morality/consequences are already well documented in a plethora of online games, so you can just pick your favorite informed stance and stick with it.
Noobies start at 1500 elo or thereabouts, afaik. The bots would IMMEDIATELY drop below that on their first game, and "newbies" would never know that bot existed after the bot's third or fourth subsequent loss. Only habitual baddies would ever run the risk of seeing them in subsequent games, because the bots would plummet at a rate unparalleled by a human.

I mean, it's theoretically possible for there to be millions of bots, giving them enough mass to accumulate all the ranks from zero elo up past the 1500 base, but that's illogical, and even then, it'd only artificially boost the human elo to 1501-2851 or whatever instead of 1000-2350 or whatever the spread is right now.

It'd also require them to completely ignore the necessary million bots taking up the zero to 500 range, as merely dredging that portion of the elo list (which would be unattainable by a human, as they'd have to lose something like 50 games in a row to five-man bot teams once they dipped under ~1400), would cause the elo pile to settle, with the bots filling in the missing five hundred elo ranks by losing perpetually, and the people who are so bad that they rival the intelligence of bots just above that, and so on (just as it is now).

In fact, I'd be more worried about the consistent banning of bots, because if they're indeed Chinese gold farmer account selling sites making them or w/e, then all they're going to do is making a hundred more to replace the previous hundred that get banned, and then you have a hundred bots fresh out of the oven that have to drop elo until they become non-factor, ruining all the scrub games from 1500 till they hit the "bot zone", every time they do bannings. Just like in f2p MMOs, where a wave of bot bannings merely means that the noob area is about to get packed to the brim with jftghis.

I see people complaining about bots being bots, but sadly, they can't fix that. You can't ban a bot until you can prove it to be a bot, meaning it has to ruin at least one game before it can be eliminated; even in the utopian ideal world you people live in. In the real world, they have to assume the person is just a mongo, and have to wait for the bot to ruin X number of games before it can be suspicious enough to call it a bot.

ODonnell

12-11-2009

Since ip has time-value, i would not be surprised if loss bots flooded low level games