@Riot The custom Item sets

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pandaris

06-08-2013

I have a question every few games i have access to my items sets why is this?

Weegee7

06-08-2013

Weird, I was playing a game of ARAM last night and I got one of my item sets.

The thing is, I could have sworn I made that set only appear on Summoner's Rift.

Shimrra3

06-08-2013

Whats odd is that they aren't even malfunctioning consistently. I made a page open to all champs on Howling Abyss... sometimes it displays the latest version of it, sometimes a version from a couple days prior. Champ-specific pages (for SR) have completely replaced the standard recommended build tab, which is OK given that I made these to do just that, but worrying because I know they're not supposed to prevent access like they're doing... I seriously do just want it to work again.

Kovar Khepera

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaboopie View Post
I absolutely love this, I'm just wondering if there's any news on when they'll be back up. I mean, they've been down for quite some time now, and I'd really like to streamline my builds in game so I don't waste 10 seconds sitting there trying to remember what I want to build next.
Strange thing is, all my items sets are gone except one. Garen's. It's still there every time I play him.

Lopeko

06-08-2013

Is the replay feature being released with 3.8 as well?

BallsMcGee94

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damiya View Post
Item sets will be returning with the 3.8 patch.
ahh, the patch that will never come.

Crestfallenigloo

06-08-2013

Yay i literally got the game the day before they went out made like 4 really good ones and then never got to use them ill be happy when they return

RiotBahamut

Associate Software Engineer

06-08-2013
3 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandaris View Post
I have a question every few games i have access to my items sets why is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovar Khepera View Post
Strange thing is, all my items sets are gone except one. Garen's. It's still there every time I play him.

This is a confusing (but expected / anticipated) behavioral artifact that has arisen from what we've done with our patches recently. It's inconvenient and weird for sure, but your other item sets should be intact and it shouldn't be too much to worry about! For those that are interested, I'll try to make sense of what's going on. I'll also explain in a little more detail how Item Sets interacts with the game client since I saw some people trying to figure it out earlier.

---

The Item Sets feature was released in patch 3.7. As many of you know, some issues came up and the decision was made to hop back to 3.6. While those issues weren't related to the item sets feature, it had the unfortunate side effect of taking it down by going back to a point in time when it wasn't set up to be released. Let's put this bit of information aside for now.

How does the item sets feature work? For starters, it uses the game client's official recommended items API that has been around for a little while. This is basically a convenient way for other programs to tell the game what items you'd like to show up in the recommended item slots for which champions/maps. Many third party tools that offer similar functionality have been using the same thing. This is done by writing special files that the game client will load when a game starts so it knows what to do.

Now, the item sets feature allows you to associate an item set with multiple champions and maps at once. At the same time, it will cause several item sets to show up in-game sorted by how relevant they are. In other words, it's not just a direct implementation of the recommended items API where you say "I want these items to show up for Garen on SR" (I'm simplifying it a little) because it lays a little bit of extra functionality on top of it.

What actually happens is this: You create a collection of item sets outside of the game. Some of these item sets might only be assigned to one specific champion and map. Others might be global, where they're available on every champion and map. You may also have item sets that are somewhere in the middle, having a mix of being assigned to multiple champions or maps. However, at the end of the day, you're always playing a game with one champion on one map, right?

When champion select is completed and you're about to go in to a game, the pvp.net client will go through all your item sets and flag the ones that are relevant to the game that's about to start. It will then write all of these item sets to the special files I mentioned earlier that the game client's API uses. A little bit of extra information is added to these files so the game knows how to sort them inside of the store's dropdown menu. Here's the order in which they should appear (if I remember correctly!):

Quote:
- Tier 1: Item sets that have been specifically assigned to both the map and champion you're about to play. Item sets in this tier might have been assigned to other champions as well, so priority is given to sets that are assigned to fewer other champions

- Tier 2: Item sets that have been specifically assigned to the champion you're about to play, but are allowed to show up on any map. Again, priority is given to item sets that are more uniquely assigned to the champion you're about to play.

- Tier 3: Item sets that are assigned to the specific map you're about to play, but are allowed to show up for any champion.

- Tier 4: Item sets that are allowed on any champion or map.
Unless you create a lot of global item sets, this is usually specific enough to only make a few item sets show up in the game, even if you have a ton of them. The default recommended items should also still show up, but I don't remember off the top of my head where it falls in the sorting.

The way that all of this works means that a lot of these files end up getting written for the game client's API to use. Thus, the item sets feature will regularly wipe these files clean and write a fresh new batch when your next game starts. (As a side note: We use a naming convention for item sets generated by the item sets feature so we don't delete item sets that people have created with third party tools).

Here's the part where we come full-circle. The reason that some people are still seeing item sets that they created while 3.7 was up is this: At some point, you created some item sets and then went in to a game. The item sets feature wrote those special files, and the game used them to display those items in the shop. However, the item sets feature was taken away when we went back to 3.6 and those files were left behind. Since item sets is currently not available to clean up those files and update them for each game you play, you'll still occasionally see some of your item sets under certain circumstances.

There's definitely some things that can be done to improve the item sets -> game interaction (Perhaps updating the API to explicitly support some of item set's features, providing a more direct way to communicate them to the game client, or changing how/when those files are written and cleaned up), but in the meantime, you may occasionally see this silly behavior. The way it's implemented right now, however, ensured that the feature could stand alone and play nice with existing functionality that third parties are also using.

Sorry for the confusion!

blah12321blah

06-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotBahamut View Post
This is a confusing (but expected / anticipated) behavioral artifact that has arisen from what we've done with our patches recently. It's inconvenient and weird for sure, but your other item sets should be intact and it shouldn't be too much to worry about! For those that are interested, I'll try to make sense of what's going on. I'll also explain in a little more detail how Item Sets interacts with the game client since I saw some people trying to figure it out earlier.

---
Thanks for all the details! It makes sense overall.

Pandaris

06-08-2013

Wow Bahamut gets a +1 from me. I REALLY REALLY like that you took the time to explain WHY and HOW item sets were showing up. Thank you