Janna support

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotAmes

QA Analyst

06-07-2013
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Lots of good advice in this thread! I play Janna a lot when I support. A good combo is W + Q (min charge). If you land the slow, they're easier to hit. Eventually you'll be able to hit with Q pretty often just by predicting where opponents will go.

That's a lot of mana, though - try to do it when it's safe (you're in a bush and can get close enough to W without being hit) and your lane partner can take advantage of the CC.

Fuzen kuden

06-07-2013

just play an under powered mid and BAM over powered support. Why? becase supports are watered down mid laners. and ontop of this supports get the bat twice as often >.>

Hiro Hamada

06-07-2013

Janna's CC isn't affected by tenacity, so she can disengage quite well for her carry late game.

Yes lulu and nami arguably have a better lane. However Janna late game makes it near impossible for people to get onto your AD carry.

In otherwords janna=defensive support style, lulu/nami=offensive.

Romantic Metro

06-07-2013

Janna is fairly difficult considering her risk with using her W-slow (she has to be within near gap close range), a skill shot knock up, sometimes finicky shield (I've targeted teammates before but she ends up shielding herself if she's not in range of them), and an ult that can be used for creative set ups to displace enemy teams but put her at risk and somewhat squishy. She's definitely got a decently high skill cap to use her to her full potential.

That being said: charging Q is only good for maximizing its damage and is best used for clearing waves when being sieged or when sieging. Other wise it's better to just tap Q again to shoot it off faster for the knock up and to make it harder to dodge. I tend to put a point in all 3 abilities in the first 3 levels then max my shield and then her Q to get it lower on cd. Sometimes I'll put an early second or third point to help my adc push lane faster if we are being outpushed.

I like to get an early philo stone for mana regen and its gp5. Once I get my sightstone upgraded or not (depends on the situation) I'll work towards a kage's lucky pick for another gp5 and some ap. Later on i'll build either shureylias if we need more speed for engage/disengage (something janna excels at) or build the lucky phage into twin shadows for more ap, and the reveal/slow the active gives. I like Ionian Boots on her for cdr. I also build what the team needs (locket, aegis, etc.) I really like locket on Janna because of the extra cdr it gives her which helps to get her cooldowns shorter because she has semi-long cd to begin with. Of course wards as usual being the support and all. If I'm at the point in the game where I can turn the other gp5 item into a second item I will, and I like Athene's unholy grail for more cdr and mana costs.

So for me I like mana efficient, cdr, defensive aura, ap items for her. She synergizes well when built towards though.

As for Janna play she excels very well at engage/disengage, and helps with wave clearing during siege positions defensively and offensively. Her ult is tricky because the longer you hold the channel on her ult the more she heals herself and the team but her AoE knockback only applies once at the beginning before the enemy team can re-enter her AoE. So I generally only hold it for a second if at all for setting up plays to displace their team or to disengage from them. Though it can be useful to hold onto it if the teams are in a tight space duking it out considering the cc it brings to the table and the heals it brings.

ALSO her shield (her E) can be used on turrets to help defend them. Don't forget that. I don't know if you can shield minions I can't remember but I think you can which can/could be nice to pester the enemy adc when they think they are gonna last hit it and they might miss some farm.

HunterHagen

06-07-2013

I'm not sure if this was covered, but you don't always have to land your tornado. If you can get the enemy to walk around the path, then that's a pretty high accomplishment already. Just that is usually enough to escape / peel for your carry.

There are a few tricks to mindgame the enemy with it as well. For example, you can cast it towards the direction of where you're running away to. That way, you will have more time to charge it for a stronger knockup.

Tornado isn't as great when used offensively. Best to save it for defense, unless your team gives you an easy shot.

ch0pst1ckUS

06-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMetro View Post

I like to get an early philo stone for mana regen and its gp5.

I think the GP5 passive is unique, that is, it won't stack. Better to build 1 item first from the first GP5 item, then build the second item, if possible.

I recently started playing Janna and I aim for:
1. philo
2. sightstone
3. morello (mainly for stronger shield + CDR)
4. boots +3 / +5 depending on the situation - i really like the slow reduction of boots +3.

Cynicatt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Koopa View Post
what do you recommend? I don't usually support, but when I do or have to I need to be good at it.
I actually would recommend Janna! She's my favorite support.
A double-tapped janna Q across a teamfight can change the whole flow of the battle and it's a fairly short cooldown which is much better than having to use your Lulu/Sona/Nami ult and just as effective. Janna's ult has multiple uses, and with some practice as to when you can use it to save an ally without pushing a kill away, you'll be a very effective disruptor.
Janna is a great disengage for popular bot lane supports like Leona, Thresh and Blitzcrank, as you can land your tornado across the support and the adc, giving your ally a chance to escape.
A Kage's Lucky Pick is great for her laning phase, and adds to your shield and poke. Add some boots of mobility, a twin shadow and a runic bulwark and you're a very hard champion to kill, even if you get caught warding in the jungle. It's very hard to chase a janna that knows how to aim her Q.
If you do play Janna support I would recommend leveling your shield first, then slow.
Don't forget to buy sightstone early.

pmd

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch0pst1ckUS View Post
I think the GP5 passive is unique, that is, it won't stack. Better to build 1 item first from the first GP5 item, then build the second item, if possible.

I recently started playing Janna and I aim for:
1. philo
2. sightstone
3. morello (mainly for stronger shield + CDR)
4. boots +3 / +5 depending on the situation - i really like the slow reduction of boots +3.
gp5 is unique as in u cant have 2 philo stones give u 2x gp5, not to mention kage is like 4 or 4gp5 not 5 like philo is

MorgManBasher

06-07-2013

You have to realize janna is good in certain lanes and not the best in others.

Janna is extremely strong against leona support because when she e's in to grab your carry you can cancel it by Qing her.
Only her and thresh can really do this.

PoisonedTea

06-07-2013

Janna is the most powerful support in the game