Riot Games Presents: Battle Training

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Scynix

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-03-2010

If you really want to help new players, do something about the following:

1) Leavers.
2) Known, bad champions that are queue dodged. Flag them and recommend them for experienced players only. Maybe even color code the borders around champions based on difficulty. Green is the easiest to faceroll, red requires you to be the living embodiment of the god emperor himself. Require, or suggest, a summoner level before being able to play such a character. I'd go with require, but that would upset a lot of those AP Garens out there. Herp derp. In addendum, disable items for champions that gain nothing from them. A pure mana regen item should not be purchasable on Garen, unless you're in a high ranked match, for people who have some weird "he provides aura mana regen to the team!" fetish. The game is practically DESIGNED to pummel newbies in the head at this point.
3) Leavers. No. Seriously. My friends and I have been keeping track because it was a problem in DotA. We have a black list that comprises at least half of our losses, and maybe more than half of our wins. This gives an incredibly poor skill perception.
4) A tutorial or pop up or ANYTHING that explains avoiding dying is more important than getting that tower dived kill. Or maybe explain feeding in general, and if someone dies 5 times in a row add some kind of "dominated" so people will be pointed out, like when someone dies to a creep.
5) The community at large. It needs to have more tools for developing social groups. This forums search function being disabled does nothing to help. If my 300ish games played have shown me anything, it's that we have an INCREDIBLY poor core community.
6) Stop pandering to pro players. Seriously, they are not your core base. They are the elite. That's the point. But on a nearly consistent basis, their opinion beats out all other opinions. This is fine, in most regard, because they will obviously have more knowledge and experience with things like new champions. Unfortunately, unless they're smurfing, they have no comprehension for how difficult it is to win a game 2vs5 because you have a leaver and two people AFK in the fountain- and you KNOW they won't receive any kind of punishment for it. Just becuase it's free to make an account doesn't mean you can't give other players a way to avoid these people. It's asinine, and I don't understand how this game has survived a year like this.

Thanks for your time.

Alert The Clutch

11-03-2010

Does it give you flack if you don't pick a champion high on Elementz tier list?

Ihaspotpies

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-03-2010

Looks pretty good. Best thing that Riot has announced since the new map announcement awhile ago.

Vrendar

11-03-2010

Props to scynix

-Staying alive is way betetr than getting a kill and dying in my view

Sodogo

11-03-2010

haha nice

Sodogo

11-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scynix View Post
If you really want to help new players, do something about the following:

1) Leavers.
2) Known, bad champions that are queue dodged. Flag them and recommend them for experienced players only. Maybe even color code the borders around champions based on difficulty. Green is the easiest to faceroll, red requires you to be the living embodiment of the god emperor himself. Require, or suggest, a summoner level before being able to play such a character. I'd go with require, but that would upset a lot of those AP Garens out there. Herp derp. In addendum, disable items for champions that gain nothing from them. A pure mana regen item should not be purchasable on Garen, unless you're in a high ranked match, for people who have some weird "he provides aura mana regen to the team!" fetish. The game is practically DESIGNED to pummel newbies in the head at this point.
3) Leavers. No. Seriously. My friends and I have been keeping track because it was a problem in DotA. We have a black list that comprises at least half of our losses, and maybe more than half of our wins. This gives an incredibly poor skill perception.
4) A tutorial or pop up or ANYTHING that explains avoiding dying is more important than getting that tower dived kill. Or maybe explain feeding in general, and if someone dies 5 times in a row add some kind of "dominated" so people will be pointed out, like when someone dies to a creep.
5) The community at large. It needs to have more tools for developing social groups. This forums search function being disabled does nothing to help. If my 300ish games played have shown me anything, it's that we have an INCREDIBLY poor core community.
6) Stop pandering to pro players. Seriously, they are not your core base. They are the elite. That's the point. But on a nearly consistent basis, their opinion beats out all other opinions. This is fine, in most regard, because they will obviously have more knowledge and experience with things like new champions. Unfortunately, unless they're smurfing, they have no comprehension for how difficult it is to win a game 2vs5 because you have a leaver and two people AFK in the fountain- and you KNOW they won't receive any kind of punishment for it. Just becuase it's free to make an account doesn't mean you can't give other players a way to avoid these people. It's asinine, and I don't understand how this game has survived a year like this.

Thanks for your time.

true story right here

xo Davy Jones ox

11-03-2010

looks like Riot wants to compete with DOTA 2 "coach system"

Kangi

11-03-2010

I like how the brush tip advises that champions may be waiting in the brush to ambush you, showing a Garen "DEMACIA!"-ing out of the brush.

Tamat

Live Services

Follow RiotTamat on Twitter

11-03-2010
2 of 3 Riot Posts

We've been working on the Battle Training Tutorial for a while. In the final stages of development we decided to do some "usability testing" which involved us scouting the interwebs in a search to find gamers that hadn't yet tried League of Legends. These gamers came into our offices to play the Battle Training Tutorial. As they played through the tutorial, members of the development team observed them from another room. It was through this experiment that we were able to identify enhancements that we needed to make to assure it's effectiveness in teaching new players new players the in's and outs of the game.

The result is a tutorial that's going to be more effective in teaching new players how to play League of Legends. Kudos to all the developers that put this together, they did an amazing job!

tvburk

11-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraveyardShift View Post
Will the bots come fully equipped with /all chat raging abilities?

this