Should the maximum camera zoom out be increased?

Yes! (Any additional reasoning?) 880 88.09%
No... (Why not?) 119 11.91%
Voters: 999. You may not vote on this poll

Camera zoom out is insufficient. Let me zoom out more? Reasoning included.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ReLL The Scoot

04-20-2013

1280x1024 is a very awkward screen resolution to play lol on
It is far too zoomed in, and you can only just barely see all of the exposed fog of war around your character, i would love to see a camera that could be zoomed out more

Absolutdead

05-06-2013

OLD Thread I KNOW but would like to chime in a thought since the votes do speak for themselves.

I am one of the many folks who have encountered some of these issues with the locked camera/ zoom issue. I'd like to offer a suggestion which will keep the zoom "as it is" but will still give the people some measure of what they have voted for.

Instead of changing anything with the zoom option I would like to offer the idea of instead simply allowing locked camera's the ability to not stay centered on the champion but instead for a moment "allow the camera to move off center" toward the direction they are ACTIVELY moving. When the champion stands still (due to the champion not actively moving) allow the camera to SLOWLY shift back to the default locked position.

Basically: Allow the camera to move a little bit off center toward the direction of the champion's direction and then slowly center the camera on top of the player when they stop moving.

Why do I think this is a viable solution you ask? When the creator (Zileas) mentioned he wanted to allow for the possibility of mistakes in regards to the camera he wanted to restrict the view of the camera to allow for possible ganks from non pro players. Basically this idea would allow for players to get the view they want on any ranged players while essentially still giving up visibility from their backsides, thus giving players the chance to gank people in the back while they are focused more on the direction they are attacking in.

Just my thoughts, I hope you guys understand what I was trying to verbalize

Best Atheist NA

05-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutdead View Post
OLD Thread I KNOW but would like to chime in a thought since the votes do speak for themselves.

I am one of the many folks who have encountered some of these issues with the locked camera/ zoom issue. I'd like to offer a suggestion which will keep the zoom "as it is" but will still give the people some measure of what they have voted for.

Instead of changing anything with the zoom option I would like to offer the idea of instead simply allowing locked camera's the ability to not stay centered on the champion but instead for a moment "allow the camera to move off center" toward the direction they are ACTIVELY moving. When the champion stands still (due to the champion not actively moving) allow the camera to SLOWLY shift back to the default locked position.

Basically: Allow the camera to move a little bit off center toward the direction of the champion's direction and then slowly center the camera on top of the player when they stop moving.

Why do I think this is a viable solution you ask? When the creator (Zileas) mentioned he wanted to allow for the possibility of mistakes in regards to the camera he wanted to restrict the view of the camera to allow for possible ganks from non pro players. Basically this idea would allow for players to get the view they want on any ranged players while essentially still giving up visibility from their backsides, thus giving players the chance to gank people in the back while they are focused more on the direction they are attacking in.

Just my thoughts, I hope you guys understand what I was trying to verbalize
Yup, this is pretty much it. All I'd like to see on my screen is the area that my enemies will most likely be in (in front of me), not the area behind my champ which is less important. On blue side, you have the perfect view, no matter what lane you're in. Your targets are out in front of you, and you can see it all. On purple side, you see mainly behind you, for whatever reason, and can't see the enemy without unlocking your camera.

Boourns, you still around here buddy? Any new info would be great. It's been a while since you gave us anything And I even complimented you on the great customer interaction

Bzy

05-08-2013

The camera does need a bit of an extra zoom out feature. I laned with a Quinn the other day on Lulu and I was staying back away from the action so that I wouldn't die in a heartbeat. But from this position, my shields and speed buffs were useless because I was unable to even tell when there was an enemy projectile heading towards her; everything in bot lane was out of my sight. And the unlocked camera setting is just not viable enough for the heat of the moment.

ForPortal

05-09-2013

I went to the trouble of measuring the in-game display, and it's immediately obvious why Purple is at such a disadvantage:

Blue can see 50% further.

Not 10%. Not 20%. 50%. Not only is the HUD predominantly in the bottom half of the screen, the player's champion is not centered in the screen. Just centering the screen on the champion's head instead of their middle gives Blue a 14% advantage.

Yes, Zileas thinks it's fine as-is. Zileas is wrong. He has created a flawed UI which grossly favours one team, and will continue to favour one team until it is fixed.

Tauros113

05-09-2013

I've always wanted to zoom out more. I use locked camera, and ending up on purple side can really hamper how well I do. God help me if I'm bot lane and we lose our first turret. Now I've got all of about 3 inches to see enemy champs incoming, and my range for everything is essentially halved.

Also, I don't see why it's a problem if people find that the camera's too zoomed out and they hate it. They could just zoom in a bit, right? Then people could find their own natural zoom size, but right now it's impossible if there are needlessly-imposed limits on what people can and can't do. And if the "silent majority" of League players hate it, then change it back. At least then the community would know people don't want it instead of hearing "Zileas wants people to make mistakes."

Best Atheist NA

05-28-2013

Bumping for the hell of it.

boourns

UI Designer

05-30-2013
18 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best Atheist NA View Post
Yup, this is pretty much it. All I'd like to see on my screen is the area that my enemies will most likely be in (in front of me), not the area behind my champ which is less important. On blue side, you have the perfect view, no matter what lane you're in. Your targets are out in front of you, and you can see it all. On purple side, you see mainly behind you, for whatever reason, and can't see the enemy without unlocking your camera.

Boourns, you still around here buddy? Any new info would be great. It's been a while since you gave us anything And I even complimented you on the great customer interaction
Dunno what to say, changing the camera zoom is a not going to be possible without Zileas's buy off. I don't have any new information to change his mind. If I were you, I'd try to catch his attention with a well reasoned argument.

hotfire

05-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Dunno what to say, changing the camera zoom is a not going to be possible without Zileas's buy off. I don't have any new information to change his mind. If I were you, I'd try to catch his attention with a well reasoned argument.
I've played warcraft and used unlocked camera for ages, but I still feel like I can see further down lane (where I want to see) when I'm on blue side. For a while I've wished you could just rotate the camera 180 degrees, even though drag and baron would reverse positions, it shouldn't be a problem to anyone which way my camera is facing.

Also, I'm doin my Zileas dance.

In my day we would have never allowed a bear into the League of Legends.

EFG

05-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
If that worked we would have been able to zoom out more years ago.