[FEATURED] Behavior Alerts - Nudging players back on track

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Logi Animus

05-12-2013

@Lyte, you said in the conference video about this new system, that you do not agree with just banning players after they're reported to the Tribunal. Since I'm guessing what Riot wants is this: Lots and lots of players = more money if players are willing to buy RP. More players = More chances of getting reports each day, BUT with this new system, it'll warn the hot heads in-game and give them a chance to get back on their feet and work things out the RIGHT way. With this said, shouldn't players who have permanently banned accounts be able to get a second chance and have their ban uplifted and see if they've recuperated. I won't lie, my account has been permanently banned and it was a day after I bought $300 worth of RP, sucks doesn't it? I think the Tribunal (my opinion) is pretty biased but helps create a better experience for positive players. So why not unban the perma banned accounts, give those players a chance to learn from their mistakes and actually see if this new system, will be as good as it sounds to the most of us. .

Homebrew

05-12-2013

thank you and good job.

kyobreck

05-12-2013

Sweet, I'm super excited to see this implemented .

BiZeBoY

05-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Wild Luxray View Post
While you're reading this thread Lyte, can you tell us how you feel about someone getting 200-300 of a specific kind of honor and still not having a ribbon?

I'm at 214 teamwork honor myself, and still no signs of a ribbon. It really makes me lose any trace of faith in the system, especially when I see people with like 40 honors in something and they have a ribbon.

I didn't get 215 teamwork honors off of chance you know. :/
so it doesn't seem to be the act of doing a good job that makes this person want to do good but the label that they did somethign good - see people like this and the millions of others that spam asking for honor after matches ruin good ideas
bc they arent

Planets Cubed

05-13-2013

Contrary to popular belief, improvement of behavioral problems in the league community has paid off in terms of both results (reduction of griefers) and bringing joy. I for one loved the ribbons and it took me over 300 games to finally get a green ribbon. As soon as i acquired it i never made a negative comment since and always am happy to fill an unwanted role. In ranked i would say FILL and believe it or not more than 20% of the time i got to play mid or top and it was rather enjoyable since the whole team cooperated. Whenever i got griefers who would dc i would just try to encourage those still loyal team members and still managed to win half of the games where the odds were stacked against us. A week later i got both the animation for the blue and yellow ribbon but the yellow one was displayed. League is much more enjoyable now and hopefully this implementation will further their goal to improve the community one patch at a time. Keep up the good work riot, perfection may not be achievable, but you can sure as hell try.

Obizzle

05-13-2013

I firmly believe that there has been very little change in player behavior, and any numbers that Riot has is probably inflated.
In order for any behavior change system to be effective the consequences must be meaningful and immediate. So far, the programs implemented have not met either criteria (besides the many other flaws they have.) This idea does not address those fundamental flaws nor does it provide any meaningful information to the reported player.

CTLegacy

05-13-2013

Great work! Have been wanting a feature like this for the longest time. Will definitely keep me in check although I haven't been to tribunal yet. It's a good way to make sure i'll never go there!

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

05-13-2013
45 of 47 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obizzle View Post
I firmly believe that there has been very little change in player behavior, and any numbers that Riot has is probably inflated.
In order for any behavior change system to be effective the consequences must be meaningful and immediate. So far, the programs implemented have not met either criteria (besides the many other flaws they have.) This idea does not address those fundamental flaws nor does it provide any meaningful information to the reported player.
Yes, clarity and speed of feedback play critical roles in the effectiveness of an intervention or feature trying to shape behavior, but it isn't binary. Just because the feedback isn't immediate doesn't mean the intervention will have 0 effect; but I agree, if we could improve the immediacy of the feedback, we'd see larger effects.

K0nundrum

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-13-2013

What are the chances, I just received a tribunal warning the other day (which I strongly disagree with) that came out of no where. I read somewhere here that the case usually comes up fast with recent game reports but all the games in my case were from months ago. Infact, I wouldn’t have even known that if i didn’t recognize one specifically. The ironic and sad part about it for me is that I had just unlocked 3 of the 4 ribbons; one for friendly, one for helpful, and one for teamwork (green, blue and yellow respectively).

Is there any chance this new warning system can replace my current warning? Losing all my hard earned honour for a so called “friendly” warning from Riot seems kind of harsh. This has been on my mind for days now. I’ve sent a request to support but a behaviour team representative is taking a very long time to help as I’m sure it is very busy.

Obizzle

05-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Yes, clarity and speed of feedback play critical roles in the effectiveness of an intervention or feature trying to shape behavior, but it isn't binary. Just because the feedback isn't immediate doesn't mean the intervention will have 0 effect; but I agree, if we could improve the immediacy of the feedback, we'd see larger effects.
Immediacy is just one aspect of the feedback that needs improvement. How will you address the quality of the feedback provided, a blanket statement does not equal quality. I see very easy solutions to both issues.
Also you misinterpreted part of my quote Lyte, I was referring more to the immediacy and meaningfulness of the consequences. Feedback is a positive reinforcement training device yet you are using it as a punishment device. How will you develop punishment protocol for toxic behavior that is both meaningful, immediate, and consistent (all three have been shown to have the largest impact on behavior change)?