Let's talk about Xerath

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nanatsu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-11-2013

Xelnath maybe the issue isn't Xerath's kit but rather that people don't have as much of a rush with his kit's style compared to other champions. Another thing could be that he just doesn't have much visual impact, it would be cool to see a real impact on the terrain when using his Arcane Barrage and have sound that reflected it. There is also the fact that his cast animation makes him look stupid tossing his arms up like he just don't care it would be awesome to see his armor move to change into a cannon when shooting Arcanopulse.

Arctanus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-11-2013

What about if instead of an ammo system on his W, he had something like the cost per extra cast mechanic that's on Kassadin's R? If it's feeling unfair now then it might be more balanced with that mana cost increase.

Okuser

05-11-2013

I believe Xerath is pretty balanced right now but if yall really wanted to buff him you should make his W cast faster. This would allow him to chase enemies much better and give him a little more safety.

Any other changes to his dmg numbers would just make him broken.

Zombiepaste

05-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
So I played around with *only* swapping R and W and retuning Barrage.

The result was that laning felt easier sooner, but either the damage was insane on W or negligible and ignorable. Going to try putting some orthogonal power on this kit, along with looking for ways to make siege mode more exciting.

FYI - increased mana cost + spell pen was insanely strong. Like... in a playtest, Xerath obliterated Volibear with near true-damage. If you guys think stacking % spell pen is weak. Whelp. Uhm. Yeah. Its nuts.

First pass notes:
  • Poke in lane was still OK.
  • W as harass (due to ammo system) - very effective, but felt unfair to the opponent
  • R as ultimate - actually felt better due to consistently having a shorter cooldown. Still lacking something... epic though.
can you get us a quick youtube vid of what the changes look like so we may see ourselves? I wanna see why a cooldown R is better than a toggle R

Can you give us something vs health stacking champs cause apparently you don't wanna go the route of so much spell pen.

how much longer is his Q with R siege mode?

Gamerdragon

05-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades Fury View Post
But Xerath is essentially MEANT to keep throwing nukes from a large distance.. I don't see what else you'd want to do as xerath..
It's not just about tossing nukes.

I could generalize all mages as people that toss nukes from a distance. Xerath just has longer range.

It's that Arcanopulse and Arcane Barrage are incredibly similar to each other as spells: Range, that there's a cast delay, that it ignore creeps between Xerath and the target, that it broadcasts where it's going to land ahead of time. It's basically a kit where you have two spells that are both 'fireball' and while this is passable with live xerath simply because of the fact you have 'regular fireball' and 'super fireball' it's not exactly engaging. On a functional level that might be exactly what Xerath needs to do, but there has to be a better way to implement it. Fizz has two spells designed to do the same thing, but they both work in entirely different ways.

David Hume

05-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctanus View Post
What about if instead of an ammo system on his W, he had something like the cost per extra cast mechanic that's on Kassadin's R? If it's feeling unfair now then it might be more balanced with that mana cost increase.
We have that skill, it's called Living Artillery.

Proves your idea is good on one hand, but probably not usable on Xerath as well.

blah12321blah

05-11-2013

Since i think i forgot about it in my other post, i'll just say it again: siege mode should give immunity to knockups/knockbacks/grabs, that's a given. Right now it feels awful to make yourself unable to move your body while still letting enemies able to do that; for a mere 400-ish range increase that makes you the easiest target ever and costs skillpoints and time.

I'm disappointed that you ditched the "stacking 5% pen each time you hit an enemy" thing, that sounded like the rewarding effect for landing skills that i've been dying for on Xe. And don't tell me voli can't handle that, in real play he's simply gonna Q+Flash directly to you and then you're done for when jarv follows up with his combo. You're not gonna poke him down to irrelevance with just this new passive.

Arctanus

05-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hume View Post
We have that skill, it's called Bio-Arcane Barrage.

Proves your idea is good on one hand, but probably not usable on Xerath as well.
I was very confused by this response, until I realized that you think I'm referring to Xerath's current W, I think. I'm talking about the proposed R/W switch that Xelnath posted a while back. Were you, or am I just very confused?

SysreqVaries

05-11-2013

Only thing I would care about losing.

Pvt Piledriver

05-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeaeros View Post
Xelnath

Can we talk about increasing his auto-attack range while in siege mode? I mean, even right now without much tweaking to his kit, can we talk about that?

It seems logical, plus it might actually make me feel good about landing an W E Q stun... you know being able to at least auto-attack while not casting.
I think giving him the ability to hammer you with Lich Bane procs from 1000 range is a really bad idea. His damage is great already. If Lich Bane was a viable pickup on him, his kit's damage would need to be reduced to compensate, and even then, it still wouldn't be fair. It wouldn't matter if he hit his Qs or not while sieging, since he can just auto you with the proc for guaranteed poke no matter what.