For all of you who hate solo queue, think you deserve higher elo or rage too much.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yankee

05-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
True, though TF2 has less "carry" potential due to some of its design though.
Battlefield was going the right direction with Bad Company 2, but they steered towards "Hey Call of Duty is popular, lets be more like them" and Call of Duty is basically free for all in every game except there are modes called "Team Deathmatch" where you can't kill some people.

Morello

Lead Designer

05-08-2013
7 of 9 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folly Inc View Post
Two things I want to address here, the first adhering to your example, you should never downplay the importance of mechanics. "catch" as you call it is one of the foundations of Football. None of us can be good at the sport if we can't learn to catch first. 1v1, 2v2 have a -very- valuable place in this game. Training, Tutelage, and learning are all fundamentals of this game that are missing in virtually every way.
Yes - as a skills development mode, I think this has a lot of value - though as a serious mode, I think it has no weight.

The alternative to letting matchmaking work with randoms is enforcing needing pre-made 5's (or the even more random factors of custom lobbies) instead of people being able to get in a game alone at all. Now, champ select needs some help to smooth this - we agree - but it doesn't involved removing the "team" in League of Legends.

Morello

Lead Designer

05-08-2013
8 of 9 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauron View Post
I don't proofread on the forums, as you can tell :P

Morello

Lead Designer

05-08-2013
9 of 9 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
Battlefield was going the right direction with Bad Company 2, but they steered towards "Hey Call of Duty is popular, lets be more like them" and Call of Duty is basically free for all in every game except there are modes called "Team Deathmatch" where you can't kill some people.
I trend to agree as a player - BF fell a lot for me after 1942 generally, but the more modern ones are less appealing overall (which a number of critiques outside the scope of this post!) to me.

It depends a lot on what their goals were, though. If it was to broaden appeal in the short- and mid-terms, then I think they've been really successful, but if it was to create a really unique or compelling series in the long-term, I don't think their newer games are well-positioned to do that.

Tw1st3dFat3

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-08-2013

Quote:
Yes - as a skills development mode, I think this has a lot of value - though as a serious mode, I think it has no weight.

The alternative to letting matchmaking work with randoms is enforcing needing pre-made 5's (or the even more random factors of custom lobbies) instead of people being able to get in a game alone at all. Now, champ select needs some help to smooth this - we agree - but it doesn't involved removing the "team" in League of Legends.
all of the components of a 1v1 are already in place.. Go into a custom game make a room Title it 1v1 mid lane .. The value of a 1v1 is definately apparent to better yourself as a laner in the early aspect of the game..

as for supporting it as a game mode.. I think its a terrible idea and pretty much kills the entire concept of the game in general..

Redeemed In Fire

05-08-2013

Quote:
No, I think it's trying to make football into a solo game. That game is fine, but it's called "catch" and it's something you do to mess around - I'd be OK with a mess-around 1v1, but never a serious game for League.

You want the game to be something different than the very things that make League engaging and sticky.
But that's the thing, I don't buy it. I was never engaged by the team aspects, and I'd bet you a good sum of money most people complaining about ELO hell or raging about allies would at least be interested in a mode where they could play purely solo.

Maybe I'm just one player looking for something different. And if it comes down to that, I guess I'll try to be happy with the fact no one game really satisfies me. But "it isn't deep enough" smells like a BS answer given the existence of games like Diablo and Torchlight.

Tw1st3dFat3

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIX View Post
But that's the thing, I don't buy it. I was never engaged by the team aspects, and I'd bet you a good sum of money most people complaining about ELO hell or raging about allies would at least be interested in a mode where they could play purely solo.

Maybe I'm just one player looking for something different. And if it comes down to that, I guess I'll try to be happy with the fact no one game really satisfies me. But "it isn't deep enough" smells like a BS answer given the existence of games like Diablo and Torchlight.
You can play 1v1 in custom.. what you are asking for is a ranked system based on individual players which completely goes against the entire foundation of the game.

Redeemed In Fire

05-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vualk View Post
You can play 1v1 in custom.. what you are asking for is a ranked system based on individual players which completely goes against the entire foundation of the game.

Why? I'm sorry, but I never played league to wrestle with 4 random idiots (excuse the terminology but I've had a few too many run-ins with people having a bad day/on a new champ/off matchup/etc to have any confidence in soloq pubbies) and hope they're competent enough to work with me. And all of that to maybe get crushed in an extremely demoralizing way with no clue what can be done better anyway (other than the standard ward more die less cd more gank other lanes more that never really explains what you could have done).

It also doesn't help I'm not fond of a couple of core skill differentiation loops, mostly the attention splitting (something I'm bad at and won't ever really be good at). But that's an aside.

Tw1st3dFat3

05-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIX View Post

Why? I'm sorry, but I never played league to wrestle with 4 random idiots (excuse the terminology but I've had a few too many run-ins with people having a bad day/on a new champ/off matchup/etc to have any confidence in soloq pubbies) and hope they're competent enough to work with me. And all of that to maybe get crushed in an extremely demoralizing way with no clue what can be done better anyway (other than the standard ward more die less cd more gank other lanes more that never really explains what you could have done).

It also doesn't help I'm not fond of a couple of core skill differentiation loops, mostly the attention splitting (something I'm bad at and won't ever really be good at). But that's an aside.
I cant really be the guy to tell you what you could have done more or less to better your chances in a situation WITHOUT actually watching some of your gameplay.. (which i would be happy to do if you were to send me some lolreplay clips..)

As for teammates they are a part of this game and you have to find the median where you can work for YOURSELF yet at the same time help your team while doing so..

raksonraksonraks

05-08-2013

Quote:
The flaws are a team game requires teamwork? I think you're, instead, expecting the game to cater just to you and your tastes. This is the exact core attitude that the OP talks about! :P
wait, im wrong for expecting people to know how to play the game?

wut?

this is a team based game yes, but its a joke. you cant even compare it to real team based games such as.... football or basketball.