Let's talk about Xerath

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xelnath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Systems Designer

05-08-2013
1 of 159 Riot Posts

Let's start with a few facts:

• Xerath has a 50% win rate across all elos.
  • Xerath only has a 51% win rate in very high elo matches.
  • Xerath's total burst has a 1134 dmg + 3.4 AP Ratio + 40% spell pen - the highest baseline burst in the game.
  • Xerath has a very cool theme and concept

Despite this:
  • Xerath is the 2nd least played Mage across all regions.

The data indicates Xerath is actually balanced in terms of total impact on the game. His best case burst is massive. Yet he's not played a lot.

Why do you feel this is? What do you feel would make Xerath feel better?

---

Edit:

Curious about the player response to our survey? Read this post:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...02893#38302893

Carunei

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-08-2013

xerath dunked on me in aram riot pls

Orphan Molester

05-08-2013

Meh he just isn't that fun, he seems weak if you don't have spectacular positioning

Axhliay

05-08-2013

Can we give him a bit more base damage on Arcanopulse so that he can clear waves more efficiently?

Titiln

05-08-2013

wasnt this thread made like a month ago though.

well, he's the least played because he's the least fun.

the whole stun combo feels meh when you dont have anything to follow it up with, and his stun also has ridiculous dependency on locus bonus range.

werKd

05-08-2013

It is awkward to have to root yourself to the ground to deal massive amounts of damage and he has no escape.

R1pVanW1nkle

05-08-2013

How about we fix up Karma instead? The rework was a bust.

LSA

05-08-2013

Because his waveclear is ****ing awful lol. That's one reason.

Also I think it's really stupid how Xerath's range is one of the things that make him, him, yet his E range is so tiny. Why does it have to be so small? At least expand it so it's equal or at least slightly shorter than his Q.

Seriously though, his waveclear is ****ing terrible. Compare him to TF (yes, they're different champs, but they're both ap carries). His Q can 1 shot minion waves pretty early on. Xerath can barely manage to 1 shot a whole minion wave even if he's fed . TF also has a more reliable stun on a shorter cooldown and it's easy to hit, and on top of that, TF can kite the **** out of you.

Also make his ult better if you can. Something like making it stronger/bigger after each one and make the last one explode & possibly slow in an aoe like leonas ult

Sacrix

05-08-2013

Make him more viable in other lanes besides mid, preferably to make his passive as strong as it is meant to be, and you will see him rein over the world!

To expand on my thought, having to lock himself in place, to make use of his damage, really shuts him down. With the League of Gap closers atm, him locking himself down, just sets up most jungler/mid combos to easily dive and massacre you. As well, this hinders his mobility, making him much more useless in other lanes than he already is in mid.

Where he shines is late game, he can blow up anyone, ANYONE, from a safe distance, and usually get away. But his early game is just too demanding on him being perfectly positioned to do absolutely everything right. If he is countered in lane, their is almost a 0% chance of him even making a dent in the late game.

So to sum these thoughts up, he's immobile, making him handicapped to only the shortest lane, mid. He has a hard time coming back into games, even with his range, he can just get gap closed, and blown up. His passive does not fit with his current feel. Its more of a tanky tops passive than a mid caster.

Spread some light on these areas, and I'm sure he will do something that people will ogle over for a while, and might even make him viable in the top of the tier games.

I'll expand on this a little more, as I though of a little fix that could make him more viable in other lanes. Take away his Locus of Power, and replace it with a spell of similar ideals. Make it one that would not lock him in place, and would still give him similar benefits.

The range bonus is what makes Xerath, Xerath, so, we keep that effect, and in order to not make the move completely overpowered, we give it a m.penn of about half its current value (20% At rank 5) to accommodate for it not locking him in place anymore, while at the same time, giving it a passive that would allow him to get more m.penn with each consecutive spell hit. Scaling something like 5% (At every level OR could scale 1% per rank.) a hit, up to 4 hits. That would make him achieve his former m.penn bonus, while at the same time making him more mobile. This would also work well with his full combo, which is about 6 hits, if the last Chains is positioned well.

Thoughts?

Another idea that is good, but not my own: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2454789

Geonde

05-08-2013

Please don't change his passive. I love it how it is.

Though, I honestly feel that adding a bit of power to his E would be great. Right now, it's just a stun. You max it last because W is just that much better. Maybe if it had a slightly lower stun at rank 1, but would go up by about .5 seconds at max rank, that would be awesome. Or, even adding a small slow to it would be great..say, 20%.