An ancient mystery in Runeterra

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Baron Bodacious

05-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer Ezreal View Post
Some would consider a warrior who leads an army against overwhelming odds a hero, but there's so much bloodshed in these stories...
Because wars are usually so full of friendship and niceness.

IceNinja42

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorSalad View Post
I think he means that they only received help after nearly losing the battle. lots of people likely died before getting his blessing.

My best guess as to how this will transfer into the game is that the new champion will empower teammates if they are low on health, or something similar.
Maybe the ult will cost the life of the caster in exchange for a massive, teamfight changing effect

N1ghtwing

05-08-2013

So Ezreal could this mean that such a figure could appear and help decide the victor in the on going battle for the rule of Freljord?

Adiwik

05-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodMorningCrono View Post
This is all really interesting speculation, but the answers are pretty obviously laid out in front of us on the Howling Abyss, if you take like 10 minutes to lurk and listen to the local lore.

The second I looked at that statuette I knew I'd seen it somewhere before, so I slipped into the Howling Abyss to listen to the tale of the iceborn...dude. http://i.imgur.com/gfmoO8r
This guy, Greyor. (don't mind my name, I was undercover.)

"So you want to hear the story of this place? Of my glorious death? Stay a while and listen, I might tell you that and more."
"We were human once, then the watchers came. They changed us, forged us into weapons, made us Iceborn."
"We served the watchers willingly; the Seeker was their voice. She told us their desires, what to build, and who to kill."
"We took Freljord! We took Valoran! Everywhere we went men trembled and the ice followed us. We forged a mighty empire but, it wasn't truly ours...so long as we served the watchers."
"Avarosa united us; she showed us that freedom was worth dying for! So we turned on the watchers, we knew we were stronger than they were. They had given us too much power."
"This is where the final stand took place, this bridge. They held out for days, so many Iceborn died, but we kept on fighting. We climbed over the bodies of our fallen to press the attack, but the watchers still wouldn't die."
"In a mighty, final surge, we overran them! We lifted them from the ground...We tossed them, howling into the abyss! That must've killed them, nothing could survive that fall..."
"We needed a guardian in case the Watchers came back, we needed someone who couldn't be killed, someone who could never leave. Hundreds volunteered, but Avarosa chose me..."
"I am Greyor, the eternal guardian of the Howling Abyss! Avarosa herself killed me...it was a great honor. She bound my spirit here, so I can sound the horn if the watchers returned."
"If you hear me sound the horn, the Watchers have returned! If that happens you must come at once! Bring an army, bring ten armies! Throw those damned watchers back into the Abyss!"

The turrets on the blue side of the ridge are clearly made in the image of the watchers, with the nexus turret bearing very, very strong resemblance to the statuette himself.
http://i.imgur.com/0OYM3y7.jpg

The seeker, who is the recently discovered champion of the League of Legends, Lissandra, is heralding their possible return to the world. The nice likeable grandpa from Piltover on the purple side is digging deeper and deeper, giving the Watchers a possible path to return to the world, dooming us all without the iceborn to defend us! We should all honor Greyor's request to "bash his head in for him", for the good of the future of Runeterra.

Oh, you might want to tell the Freljordian ice queens Ashe and Sejuani about this, since, you know, Lissandra is basically knocking on their door. And tell Anivia while you're at it, Greyor seems to know her as well, spouting such lines as: "I welcome you, Cryophoenix." "I remember your sacrifice." "If the watchers return, we will need you, Anivia." Maybe others allied with the ice queens as well, I dunno you're the explorer, not me, I'm just a summoner with too much free time.
GG this dude!

Trylobyte

05-08-2013

Seems to me like some sort of nigh-immortal spirit of war, a bit like Hecarim. A bloody, violent inspiration to the losing side of a conflict, causing the weak to rise up and destroy the strong and arrogant. Wonder what some of the older champions in the League might know, like Mordekaiser or Xerath.

Varusaurus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

05-08-2013

Quote:
Some would consider a warrior who leads an army against overwhelming odds a hero, but there's so much bloodshed in these stories...
Which is why I stand behind this idea. the times you found, markings on tombs, ect.
They are for warding off who ever this is.

Biggus Fishus

05-08-2013

Clearly this is a man who loves blood. Maybe he's friends with the Blood Brothers?

Rustmaker

05-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorSalad View Post
I think he means that they only received help after nearly losing the battle. lots of people likely died before getting his blessing.

My best guess as to how this will transfer into the game is that the new champion will empower teammates if they are low on health, or something similar.
I think you're on to something. It might be the bigger the disadvantage the stronger the benefit, or something like that

Adiwik

05-08-2013

Quote:
i believe they call it a culling.... making it easier for winter to come

Zak Kebron

05-08-2013

Quote:
[aws2=news/April_2013/post/dagger.jpg]news/April_2013/post/dagger_thumb.jpg[/aws2]

You can carve plenty of interesting things out of the Freljord's ice. That place has always been a battleground, so I wouldn't have thought twice about digging up a dagger like this one if it weren't for two things. One: check out the etching in the metal. Look closely enough and you'll see the same serrated design found in the rest of these relics. Two, well… the dagger's hilt is carved from human bone.

Here's where it gets more interesting. The tribesmen of that region say the figure on the blade is a legend, a “warrior-savior” who appeared during a battle against a hated rival tribe several years ago. They'd almost lost the battle, but the warrior appeared and led them to a crushing victory over their enemies. They left no one alive, but when the tribesmen went to celebrate with their champion, he'd already vanished. They say that - in his memory - they took the bones of their enemies as trophies.

It sounds like a similar story to the one from the Shuriman tomb. Both tell of a warrior who appeared and turned the tide of a great battle… but at a gruesome cost.
Sounds like Ares got lost and turned up in Runeterra. And this does sound SUSPICIOUSLY like that dude Tryndamere saw in the past... Go ask him, Ez