RiotSchmick AMA / Status Thread

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kyeguy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-06-2013

Hey Schmick. That was a fun game with you as veigar and me as the ezreal. They had so many tanks though . I'll be on later tonight to play!

Uniquisher

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-06-2013

How long have you been working at riot?

And I understand about the 2 jobs not overlapping, which is kind of sad for me, because I like both.

I enjoy coding because I get a joy every time I work something out.
And I enjoy thinking of cool little things that will make the player be like "Oh this is cool" or just make them feel the emotion I intend to send or a reaction etc. (if that makes sense)

Question:
What schooling did you do to become a software engineer at riot games? (if you can share)

Also a side note:
I notice when most people say "I wantz to makez a gamez"
their reason is because "I play heaps of games"
I say, well thats not my reason haha.

I was actually talking to a guy about university enrolling etc. who worked on mortal kombat
and he asked me "why do you want to do this job?"

I said "Although I do play lots of games, thats not my reason, my reason is because when I do play a game, I get something out of it, and I want to do the same for others"

His reaction was priceless.

Just like with League, I get so much joy and excitement out of it (and rage of course)
and I want other people to enjoy things too XD

Their's my lifestory rant! C:

RiotSchmick

Software Engineer

05-07-2013
89 of 150 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniquisher View Post
How long have you been working at riot?

And I understand about the 2 jobs not overlapping, which is kind of sad for me, because I like both.

I enjoy coding because I get a joy every time I work something out.
And I enjoy thinking of cool little things that will make the player be like "Oh this is cool" or just make them feel the emotion I intend to send or a reaction etc. (if that makes sense)

Question:
What schooling did you do to become a software engineer at riot games? (if you can share)

Also a side note:
I notice when most people say "I wantz to makez a gamez"
their reason is because "I play heaps of games"
I say, well thats not my reason haha.

I was actually talking to a guy about university enrolling etc. who worked on mortal kombat
and he asked me "why do you want to do this job?"

I said "Although I do play lots of games, thats not my reason, my reason is because when I do play a game, I get something out of it, and I want to do the same for others"

His reaction was priceless.

Just like with League, I get so much joy and excitement out of it (and rage of course)
and I want other people to enjoy things too XD

Their's my lifestory rant! C:
Lol, you said you had a lot of questions for me and then you only asked one! : P

My education was a non-typical path to a programming career.

I double majored in Psychology and Linguistics in college, but there was a critical point in school when I realized that my career plan in these fields wasn't going to work for me. I won't go into boring details about that here, but when I came to that crossroads, I had to figure out what I was going to do instead.

My dad was a programmer, so we always had computers, and game systems, in my house from a very early age. I always loved playing games and spending time on the computer creating things. Being an introvert, I enjoyed sitting in my own world interacting with this piece of equipment that stimulated my mind without making any social demands on me. So when I reconsidered my career path, I had the realization that going into programming was an obvious choice for me. I still graduated with my Psychology and Linguistic double major, but took some Computer Science courses as well, and then learned on the job after that. That was all awhile ago though, so I had a lot of on-the-job experience before I got to Riot.

Uniquisher

05-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotSchmick View Post
Lol, you said you had a lot of questions for me and then you only asked one! : P

My education was a non-typical path to a programming career.

I double majored in Psychology and Linguistics in college, but there was a critical point in school when I realized that my career plan in these fields wasn't going to work for me. I won't go into boring details about that here, but when I came to that crossroads, I had to figure out what I was going to do instead.

My dad was a programmer, so we always had computers, and game systems, in my house from a very early age. I always loved playing games and spending time on the computer creating things. Being an introvert, I enjoyed sitting in my own world interacting with this piece of equipment that stimulated my mind without making any social demands on me. So when I reconsidered my career path, I had the realization that going into programming was an obvious choice for me. I still graduated with my Psychology and Linguistic double major, but took some Computer Science courses as well, and then learned on the job after that. That was all awhile ago though, so I had a lot of on-the-job experience before I got to Riot.

Sounds like a lot of mess and fun haha.

I've heard Computer Science is the way to go to becoming a programmer mainly?

Im in Aus, it could be the same, are there any other ways? More recommended ones?

Also I dont want to completely spam a whole heap of questions, and wanted to share a bit xD

edit: there were actually 2 questions :O
i'll re ask

How long have you worked at riot games?

Artifice

05-08-2013

Okay so first off I need to know how you would like to be referenced in the paper, as I'v been sternly told that I'm not allowed to just use your forum name(I asked).

1. Did you leave for college knowing what you wanted to do?
2. Did you have any prior experience (internships, reading, videos etc.)
3. If you could would you go back and choose another occupation? (Do you have any regrets basically)
4. How hard was it to find a find a place of work in your field?
5. Describe a typical day.

Okay these are the only questions I need to ask. If you do end up answering them, thank you very much

RiotSchmick

Software Engineer

05-08-2013
90 of 150 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniquisher View Post
Sounds like a lot of mess and fun haha.

I've heard Computer Science is the way to go to becoming a programmer mainly?

Im in Aus, it could be the same, are there any other ways? More recommended ones?

Also I dont want to completely spam a whole heap of questions, and wanted to share a bit xD

edit: there were actually 2 questions :O
i'll re ask

How long have you worked at riot games?
Oops, I missed that one. I started in May 2012.

I would definitely recommend going the CS route. There are other ways, such as the way I did it, but going the CS route will be the best way and prepare you the most for the challenging problems you will hopefully get to work on.

ShadyElf

05-08-2013

Quote:

I would definitely recommend going the CS route. There are other ways, such as the way I did it, but going the CS route will be the best way and prepare you the most for the challenging problems you will hopefully get to work on.

Does the college matter or could I still do fairly well in the field with a degree from a community college?
I think I made a mistake with my biology degree (or could just be panic because I'm half a year from graduation with no research experience, damn lack of green card...) and would rather not getting a backup degree from a four year college and do that expensive mess all over again.

nrouns

05-08-2013

Why do you always invite me only when I am offline qq

Uniquisher

05-08-2013

Quote:

Ah ok, yeah I've heard computer science is good way to go.

Just a question about living in America, because thats where I plan to move from Australia (as much as I love this country, but the jobs...)

Is it expensive? mainly in areas around Cali etc. Such as the Riot Games Headquarters

Though,

I've heard about the Riot HQ in Sydney, do you know if they will have programming positions?
Or is all of that based in NA?

Thanks C:

p.s. if you're having an aram soon Im actually on! haha

8 Bit Astronaut

05-08-2013

I don't have a question. I just dropped by to say you're awesome and my favorite Rioter next to Griftrix and IronStylus :3