[Analysis / Discussion] Akali balance at Diamond

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morello

Lead Designer

05-06-2013
1 of 12 Riot Posts

Placeholder for myself (or preferably Scarizard who is more directly on this than I) to comment. We noticed, just a big thread and big topic that needs a longer reply than my standard short ones.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

B3ER

Senior Member

05-06-2013

So it begins.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cytus

Senior Member

05-06-2013

Anxiously awaiting the red posts now.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Flandag

Senior Member

05-06-2013

Good, so she's balanced for 10-15% of the entire game. What about the rest of us? Just saying.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Agrexis

Senior Member

05-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flandag View Post
Good, so she's balanced for 10-15% of the entire game. What about the rest of us? Just saying.
The rest of you should educate yourselves about her rather than QQing.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Flandag

Senior Member

05-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrexis View Post
The rest of you should educate yourselves about her rather than QQing.
So instead of balancing her, everyone else should play better. That's a great idea in theory, but not in practice. Also, it's the same for every single champion out there. Why is it that the Elitist Theory always prevails?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

str0nk

Senior Member

05-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flandag View Post
Good, so she's balanced for 10-15% of the entire game. What about the rest of us? Just saying.
I don't understand your point here.
She's not very balanced at this moment. She's really really weak (in the bottom 10 win rates according to Lolking and Elophant).

Sayath (the thread OP) mentions that we should focus on making her more viable at higher ELO without impacting the lower ELO community. The way to do this is by increasing her skill ceiling.
The PBE changes (Twilight Shroud now grants vision) are a step in the right direction, but it is not enough. She will still be weak after those changes go live.

There are tons of ways that Riot can increase Akali's skill ceiling without much effort. A lot of people posted their suggestions in this thread (such as making Twilight Shroud more "useful" late game [not easily counterable by 125g Vision Ward] and weaker "early" game to compensate).


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Agrexis

Senior Member

05-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flandag View Post
So instead of balancing her, everyone else should play better. That's a great idea in theory, but not in practice. Also, it's the same for every single champion out there.
Except she was balanced (pre-nerfs). Just because people don't know how to play against her doesn't mean she should have been nerfed. What if a Ryze carries the enemy team because your team didn't know how to play against him? Should he be nerfed because we can't expect people to "play better"?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Flandag

Senior Member

05-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by str0nk View Post
I don't understand your point here.
She's not very balanced at this moment. She's really really weak (in the bottom 10 win rates according to Lolking and Elophant).

Sayath (the thread OP) mentions that we should focus on making her more viable at higher ELO without impacting the lower ELO community. The way to do this is by increasing her skill ceiling.
The PBE changes (Twilight Shroud now grants vision) are a step in the right direction, but it is not enough. She will still be weak after those changes go live.
From my experience at the lower, lesser important levels of game play (it seems), Akali's main weakness, the fact that she's super frail early game, is way way harder to utilize than it is for the more practiced, coordinated players. Yeah, okay, we should learn, but its hard to learn when you can't do.

Plus, even when a jungler pulls off a good gank and kills her early? She's still the hardest snowballing champion in the game. All she needs is one good fight. One.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

str0nk

Senior Member

05-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrexis View Post
Except she was balanced (pre-nerfs). Just because people don't know how to play against her doesn't mean she should have been nerfed. What if a Ryze carries the enemy team because your team didn't know how to play against him? Should he be nerfed because we can't expect people to "play better"?
I do have to agree with you though.
She does need her damage back. I don't understand why that was taken from her (considering she is an assassin that only does SINGLE-TARGET damage [minus her E which is almost negligible]).

Why is it bad for an assassin to excel in a 1v1 scenario? That's all they have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flandag View Post
From my experience at the lower, lesser important levels of game play (it seems), Akali's main weakness, the fact that she's super frail early game, is way way harder to utilize than it is for the more practiced, coordinated players. Yeah, okay, we should learn, but its hard to learn when you can't do.

Plus, even when a jungler pulls off a good gank and kills her early? She's still the hardest snowballing champion in the game. All she needs is one good fight. One.
You over exaggerate. She's not Katarina. One good fight does not make her instantly strong.

I've lost MANY games on Akali where I've done really well just because the enemy team knew how to counter me.
People have this false idea that KDA means everything.

Akali is not useful if she can't do her job. Unless Akali snowballs, she is pretty weak (even if she is at the same level/gold advantage as other most other champions because they have utility and she doesn't).