Summoner Rift - Custom Map Skins

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheCatBug

05-03-2013

if i knew how to 3d model i would totally fix the trees in the beach rift i love if but all i know how to do is 2d games.

Majician

05-03-2013

I sure wish Riot would follow Valve's footesteps so far as the WORKSHOP Initative. Some people in the community have come out with some amazingly awesome skins and have gotten paid for their efforts, as well as Valve pocketing some of the cash as well. This could only be a win/win for Riot as we get to vote with our RP on awesome quality stuff.....more skins, more games.....I see only upsides.

Yurixy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatBug View Post
if i knew how to 3d model i would totally fix the trees in the beach rift i love if but all i know how to do is 2d games.
Yeah, even by people who knows modeling (I know modeling in C4D) it needs to be Maya because the plugins for LOL models are for Maya.

I tried Maya some years ago, but it's incredibly complicated, or should I say totally different from other programs like C4D or 3DSMAX. Each program has its different styles, techniques, tools, shortcuts and way of doing things. It's really time consuming to learn.

Yurixy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majician View Post
I sure wish Riot would follow Valve's footesteps so far as the WORKSHOP Initative. Some people in the community have come out with some amazingly awesome skins and have gotten paid for their efforts, as well as Valve pocketing some of the cash as well. This could only be a win/win for Riot as we get to vote with our RP on awesome quality stuff.....more skins, more games.....I see only upsides.
This has some downsides too. From what I know (correct me if I'm wrong) Dota 2 does not accept custom homemade skins. It only accepts the official released skins, and it's really hard and competitive for your skin to be released.
You don't have much freedom and should I say, almost any chance of competing with some micro companies who study only for the purpose of making and selling skins in the Valve workshop.

Sure, it also has good upsides as you said.

Yurixy

05-03-2013

ATastyDessert

05-03-2013

Hey, I have a request. Can you make a map skin called "20000 Leagues Under the Sea"?

Here are some details I would love to see in it:

Teemo's shrooms become sunken treasure chests
Dragon becomes a Underwater Dragon (think Chinese dragon model)
Baron becomes a Kraken OR a Leviathan (serpent version not whale)
There are small fish that swim around the map and they swim away if you a hero goes near them
Some champs could swim instead of walk (Naut, Nami, and Fizz for example or certain skins like Scuba Gragas and more)
Trees become coral reef
Have one or more underground volcanoes somewhere (I'm thinking the turrets as volcanoes which erupt when destroyed)
Brush becomes sea weed and sways with the ocean
Red buff becomes a merman
Blue buff becomes a kappa
Wolves become sharks
Wraiths become sirens
Golems become titans
River has sunlight pouring through it so it's the brightest area on the map (this doesn't mean the map should be dark though. The rest of the map also have bright patches where the sun shines through brighter)

Edit:
Make the fountain a bottomless hole with a hint of a red glow (as in lava) and occasional bubbles floating up). Champs stay afloat because of the water gushing upwards
Make the shop keeper Davy Jones and his store the locker (lmao)

4gotten Myth

05-03-2013

Plz let it be

Morello

Lead Designer

05-03-2013
5 of 5 Riot Posts

Some of these are really great! Nice work to all the creators

As I'm not an environment artist, I can't really comment on logistics and such, but I just think they're cool

ZeroSoldier

05-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Some of these are really great! Nice work to all the creators

As I'm not an environment artist, I can't really comment on logistics and such, but I just think they're cool
These environments really are something special as they have the ability to change the atmosphere of the game.

Kittycrusher

05-03-2013

hey i have a question! dunno if you'll read it though,

i really really dig these map skins and would like to download a bunch of them and then have them rotate every game so i dont get the same skin more than once in a row...is that possible?