Learning to CS for non laners

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Insidous

04-30-2013

i like to que up with friends and just try to cs. friends dont care if u die or dumb stuff most the time. Look at some of these pro plays in all games they do the same stuff over and over and over. One startcraft pro would set down for 2-3hrs a day and just spilt his units up over and over. thats a lil crazy for normal players. but the point is u just hv to keep doing it.

Archainis

04-30-2013

I find CS to be a lot about timing, you have to get your basic attack to connect in the space between when enough other sources of damage (usually other minion attacks) have hit your target, and when too many have hit it (when your target dies). These sorts of timing windows also appear in games like Guitar Hero, DDR or osu!, so playing those games can help train your eyes and coordination if you want practice outside of League.

In terms of farming under turret, here are some of the health estimates that usually apply:
melee minion = 2 turret shots + auto + auto (if less than 80 AD)
caster minion = 1 turret shot + auto + auto (if less than 120 AD)

Finally, once you get the hang of watching the health of opponent minions, try to start watching the health of allied minions too, since that'll let you know when your lane opponents will be approaching to get their own cs. These will be prime opportunities for poke since they'll likely be using their auto attack to kill the minion rather than on you.

Another idea is to try playing Taric or Nunu support and auto to push the lane. The idea here is that you need to auto minions that you can't kill so that you don't steal them from your carry, but still get in some when you can. This gives a good idea of when not to attack the minions, which ends up being the times when you should be attacking the minions as a laner.

xethik

04-30-2013

Have a friend either a) "lane" with you and attempt to deny you CS or b) play as an opponent who attempts to harass you while you CS. While just brute force CSing with no outside influence can be helpful, I feel the game completely changes when you end up have someone else with lane with you.

a) is more of a dojo approach. Make sure they have lower AD than you before trying this, I feel that having someone else TAKE the CS from you is a bit more obvious than just missing the fact that you missed it.

b) can be frustrating. If your friend is set on it, he can just be a nightmare. Just try to get someone who will not overwhelm you, just add a bit of a real element to it. They need to be trying to CS, too. See if you can beat them!

As for tips, realize your skill set and know when using an ability can get you a creep kill (especially on cannon minions). If you see you won't be able to get both minions who are both low, maybe you can use Mystic Shot on one and AA the other, or Double Up one after AAing one. You don't want to run yourself OOM, but you want to make sure you use the mana you have to effectively CS and survive.

Ryster

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotHavoc View Post
Some of these posts are super helpful. I should supply some context for my personal interest. I'm a pretty bad laner. As I said in my original post, I main jungle and that's all I play. I have great map awareness and can call ganks pretty well, so I don't need to worry about the other parts of laning but those are still important for others that don't have jungle experience.

I thought it would be useful for us to talk about good things we can try to get better at specific things on SR, in this case CSing! I'll have to try out custom games, that seems like a lonely way to learn to get better. Anyone have some other suggestions?
Hey Havoc =D

My girlfriend who plays with me is not the best cser so I tried to help her with 2 different strategies. The first thing I did, since she is a competitive girl, is go into a custom game with her and 1v1 her mid. Then all we would do is try and get the best cs. This helped her get more practice with how much damage her champ did. Once she got used to it, I would tell her I am going to try and harass her from time to time as well, to give that feeling of being in a real game, while still making it a mini competition between us.

Another thing I tried, which she hated, was we would queue up on the same team, with no bots. I would pick a support, someone with low damage and we would both go mid. I would try and steal them when I knew I could kill them, to show her she can last hit a bit before me. She hated that, and honestly it is not the best idea, but it does help you prepare for that inevitable troll who wont support and you are stuck duo adc bot with them.

Hope that helps ^^

edit: The guy above me read my thoughts 0.o

xethik

04-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
Hey Havoc =D

My girlfriend who plays with me is not the best cser so I tried to help her with 2 different strategies. The first thing I did, since she is a competitive girl, is go into a custom game with her and 1v1 her mid. Then all we would do is try and get the best cs. This helped her get more practice with how much damage her champ did. Once she got used to it, I would tell her I am going to try and harass her from time to time as well, to give that feeling of being in a real game, while still making it a mini competition between us.

Another thing I tried, which she hated, was we would queue up on the same team, with no bots. I would pick a support, someone with low damage and we would both go mid. I would try and steal them when I knew I could kill them, to show her she can last hit a bit before me. She hated that, and honestly it is not the best idea, but it does help you prepare for that inevitable troll who wont support and you are stuck duo adc bot with them.

Hope that helps ^^

edit: The guy above me read my thoughts 0.o
I brought you to the dojo I guess.

Noblepeasant

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-30-2013

There are no short cuts - just lots of practice. Really focus on CS for a few games and get used to your auto attack animation.

I focus down the caster minions who aren't being targeted by my ally minions, and switch to minions who are super low for the "last hit"

Alex3omg

04-30-2013

Quote:
Okay, I wanted to open up a little discussion for people to talk about good tips to get better at CSing. I personally am not very good as I am main Jungle, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who needs some good pointers so fire away.

What do you guys do to help yourselves get better as a laner and make sure that your creep score is good, while still looking out for ganks and other opportunities?

Use attack-move-click sometimes, get used to having it bound somewhere good, because it helps prevent you from clicking the ground and moving. Also using some flat AD runes is really helpful until you're a surgeon at it. Other than that it's a lot of practice.

http://www.lolpro.com/guides <--Gameplay guides
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFD43DB539651D5C3 <- "learn the league" guides and he has other good videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/gbay99/v...ew=1&flow=grid <--Another good league tips show

solomid has general guides too. This sort of guide is the best way to get better at the game. Reading champion specific guides (lolking has the best imo, lolpro has more indepth stuff though) and learning counters (championselect) are all good ways to get better but general game tips are most important.

swan2swan

04-30-2013

Would it be possible for Riot to add a section on the tutorial that forces you to learn how to last-hit? As in, your minions start walking up and out and attacking enemy minions, and you have to clear four minions from a wave of six? This would lead to a repeated test that would HAVE to be passed in order to proceed, so no matter what, people would have to last-hit and win.

And it's not like beginners would be so helpless that this would be unreasonably difficult; in fact, it would do a good job smacking down the mentality of "okay the minions are dead let's keep moving" and emphasize "I need to be the one to kill the minions." They'd catch on quicker, I'd think.

xSubvert

04-30-2013

Quote:
I'll have to try out custom games, that seems like a lonely way to learn to get better. Anyone have some other suggestions?
Solo training in a custom game can get lonely but if you have someone there to help you, be it someone beside you watching you and giving feedback on the spot or someone in game laning with/against you, it would be worthwhile. I personally learnt csing with Ahri (who has a faster attack animation than most mid laners) playing custom bot games but as a post above stated, knowing how much damage you can do, how fast your champion's attack animation is, how fast the particle is (if ranged) and how far away from the minion you are all play a part.

Another thing I found helpful is clicking the minion you know is the most likely to be your next target and watching their health. You'll get a feel for how much damage each minion type will do then you can gauge when you need to cs or be close enough to that minion to cs.

Overall advice is pick a champion you'd lane with (in any lane) and just get to know that champion's attack animation, projectile speed (if ranged) and how much they can hit for.

WhtePuma

04-30-2013

Experience and knowing how much damage they take from minions both melee and spellcaster how many are aiming at one geting low and time your last hit to hit it before they minions get it. Sometimes 2 will be getting hit at the same time, you will need to react to this quickly by getting 1 shot off on one of them and last hitting it before it dies, this will allow you to get both minions in most cases. Otherwise you can play it safe and use a cc to get them.

The longer the game goes the less percentage of health the minions will do to each other cause they have more health and only a little bit more damage, so watch out for this as well as it also effects how much % damage the turret will do to them.