[FEATURED] Behavior Alerts - Nudging players back on track

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GreatOne23

04-30-2013

Good stuff, Riot honestly is the best company out there at meeting community wants/needs.

Aithòs

04-30-2013

This is all well and good and I'm glad it's going to be put in, but I still think you are focusing on the wrong issue. I'm a mostly positive player, I am mature, don't insult my team or use excessive swearing (and never directed at anyone else), I don't use allchat and I try to be constructive if I'm pointing something out to a teammate who made a mistake. However, like everyone occasionally my patience comes to and end or someone provokes me enough to illicit a response. I'm glad this will help tell me if I have been caught in a bad mood and need to take a break...

So what's my point? We need to address the CAUSE of the toxicity. The majority of players aren't toxic, they exhibit toxic behavior because of the system YOU have put in place: champion select. There have been countless threads in the past three months included one you started and yet we have no action of even communication on the topic from you.

Most toxic behavior stems from someone of a group of people who fought during champion select. I can tell you personally that most of the games where I was really negative in mindset (not outwardly) were due to people fighting over spots. I'm sick of it. Pick order and call order are both garbage and we need a solution RIGHT NOW. Not a year from now, not six months from now, not at the start of S4 which I'm sure is what you intend to do...right now.

You cannot force people into roles they hate and expect them to be happy when their team ridicules and berates them for bad play in a position they genuinely warned their team they were bad at. I'd estimate (wild speculation) that 90% of the toxicity in your games stems from this.

The rest is a combination of afk, dc, trolls and fights over "non-standard" picks.

PLEASE ADDRESS THIS NOW.

Noboty

04-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next View Post
When are you guys planning to get off adobe air?
Riot, pls answer!

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

04-30-2013
33 of 47 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiths View Post
This is all well and good and I'm glad it's going to be put in, but I still think you are focusing on the wrong issue. I'm a mostly positive player, I am mature, don't insult my team or use excessive swearing (and never directed at anyone else), I don't use allchat and I try to be constructive if I'm pointing something out to a teammate who made a mistake. However, like everyone occasionally my patience comes to and end or someone provokes me enough to illicit a response. I'm glad this will help tell me if I have been caught in a bad mood and need to take a break...

So what's my point? We need to address the CAUSE of the toxicity. The majority of players aren't toxic, they exhibit toxic behavior because of the system YOU have put in place: champion select. There have been countless threads in the past three months included one you started and yet we have no action of even communication on the topic from you.

Most toxic behavior stems from someone of a group of people who fought during champion select. I can tell you personally that most of the games where I was really negative in mindset (not outwardly) were due to people fighting over spots. I'm sick of it. Pick order and call order are both garbage and we need a solution RIGHT NOW. Not a year from now, not six months from now, not at the start of S4 which I'm sure is what you intend to do...right now.

You cannot force people into roles they hate and expect them to be happy when their team ridicules and berates them for bad play in a position they genuinely warned their team they were bad at. I'd estimate (wild speculation) that 90% of the toxicity in your games stems from this.

The rest is a combination of afk, dc, trolls and fights over "non-standard" picks.

PLEASE ADDRESS THIS NOW.
A large part of the player behavior team is already working on Champ Select. We don't work on just one feature at a time. Join in the Champ Select discussion here:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...php?p=35559365

texasone1

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiths View Post

PLEASE ADDRESS THIS NOW.

Okay here is something that I do to reduce the negative in champ select if someone starts off with the role calling! I will say something that is completely off topic during champ select like "i wanna run up and down the river yelling the british are coming"! Its a tactic to keep negative out of champ select! Or this one "support or I feed and you are top pick"! You must do these things to keep your team in a positive tone or as laws of social relations dictate that no words are bad words! Thus by not at least communicating enough during champ select to let your teammates know that you are already in a positive mood and not trying to ruin games then they will perceive you as a threat to their mood!

Off topic a little! Those that lack in communication skills would seem to be raged and flamed at the most but are decent players!

I played with a certain varus player who really lacked in communication skills and wasn't too good at playing! I tried to help them at the end of a game which they were on the enemy team this time! They still didn't understand but I at least was trying to do something to keep them playing! I friended them also! They haven't tried to talk with me since but I am thinking they were banned! Somewhat likable person but stubborn! Meaning they would insist in staying in lane and never recall and varus is a champ that must recall to get more items or die!

Tegakari

04-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serene Grace View Post
I love you Lyte <3

We appreciate the colossal picture of an in-game character that we see all the time...

Dzanio

04-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Hey Summoners,

In a future patch, we'll be releasing a feature called Behavioral Alerts. This system will detect spikes of negative behavior (i.e if a player is having a particularly bad day or week) and fire an in-game client warning to the player; we hope that these alerts will give players appropriate feedback about their behaviors before they travel too far down the negative path. We believe that these warnings will prevent a significant number of people from ever being punished by player behavior systems; more importantly, we believe that these warnings will make a difference in the large number of Neutral and Positive players that have rare bad days of toxicity, but previously never got feedback to nudge them back towards the positive.

---

In the past few months, a few key insights have shifted our approach to tackling player behavior in online communities. For example, we can use Honor, Reports and other behavioral metrics at our disposal to classify the types of players in League of Legends into four groups: Positive, Neutral, Bad, Toxic. It turns out that only 1% of the active playerbase is considered toxic---these are the players who are abusive to other players in a large number of their games.

The data suggests that over 92% of players are Neutral or Positive.

At this point, many players are thinking,

Lyte, youre a crazy scientist. If more than 92% of players are Neutral or Positive, why do a high number of my games seem toxic?

What were learning in the data is that context inside and outside a game can twist behaviors-it can even create toxic behaviors in good people. A player might have a bad day at work and get yelled at by their boss, then go home to play some League of Legends. At this point, the player already has high frustration levels or has a low tolerance for mistakes, and might end up raging at his teammates for several games; this pattern of behavior can create ripples in the community, and cause other players to have a bad day-this behavioral effect is like a toxin that can percolate and spread across hundreds and thousands of games. Given 10 players in a game, and the randomness that comes from every player having a unique circumstance, tolerance level and context, its now easy to see why a high number of games seem toxic-in each game, 1-2 players might be having bad days in real life, or in-game. So when a Neutral or Positive player starts down that negative path, how do we stem it?

Research suggests that having strong feedback loops can have a dramatic positive effect on behavior; in this case, the ability to quickly and effectively deliver feedback to players as soon as they exhibit behaviors that are out of line with the vast majority of players in League of Legends could be enough to get these players back on track. An example of feedback loops in action were Reform Cards, which provided more feedback to players about why they were being punished by the Tribunal---this feedback improved average reform rates by 7.8%.

Like many other player behavior features such as the Tribunal and Honor Initiative, Behavioral Alerts will take into account every players behavioral reputation in the system; for example, there is a lot of math behind the system to avoid firing alerts for false reports. In addition, there are numerous mechanisms in place to completely ignore reports from toxic players or those who abuse the report function to ensure that players will never receive any alerts from these reports. Were looking forward to feedback from players and hope that these alerts will have a significant impact on player behavior in League of Legends.

This feature is currently live on the PBE. Translations are still being worked on for about half of the languages, and will be added in the future before the feature goes live.
Good idea, I hope this helps.

Mayobe

04-30-2013

Good work, Lyte and Lyte's army of behaviorologicalizerists.

Glad you're still putting a lot of dedication into this. Hopefully it will help to deal with the recent wave of newbies that haven't figured out the code yet. TBH those guys are already starting to calm down, but I think a rapid-feedback system like this will help to curb future floods like that.

I'm going back to college after well over a decade of trying to make something of myself and I had occasion to talk to some of the faculty at the school about why I'm choosing a career in game development. When they asked me about what kind of company I admire I spoke about Riot for a while and I noticed that some of them were writing down the name of your company and some of the things I was talking about (essentially that you actually give a damn about what you're doing and put in a sincere effort because you love the game).

With any luck your attitude will spread and infect millions. o7

Mayobe

04-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegakari View Post
We appreciate the colossal picture of an in-game character that we see all the time...
Yes, we do. That's why we upvote it.

Boeser

04-30-2013

Very cool, looking forward to more updates