[FEATURED] Behavior Alerts - Nudging players back on track

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Labcown

04-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev0lvedGenoc1de View Post
"The data suggests that over 92% of players are Neutral or Positive."

I suggest you check your data again and RECHECK it.

Want real feedback? Make a new account, play 1 game, and tell me if you get well manned players.
Well mannered =\= Neutral or Positive

You can be crude, but still be neutral or Positive.

"Well ****! I didn't think you'd pull that off! Good Job!"

KobeMonster

04-30-2013

Great idea, great work. We've all been an ass at some point in game. Sometime that's all it takes is a little nudge in the right direction. Chill out & play..

ZaganJustice

04-30-2013

FINALLY!!!
About time you notified people they've been reported.
It sounded so obvious to so many other people, but you finally got it right.

Bane1998

04-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
As mentioned in the post, the system calculates the accuracy of every report and uses report weights to determine whether a report is valid. Toxic players who report everyone in every game will not be able to fire alerts or send anyone to the Tribunal. Their reports just do nothing.
Bold is mine.

I am disappoint, Lyte. I think the term 'troll' is highly overused. I've been called a troll on more than one occasion, and I'm sure tons of people have been called trolls even though they aren't. They just had a bad game.

What people think of when they say 'troll' is pretty varied, and it's mis-attributed most times. I think using the word (especially by Riot) just propagates the idea that there are a lot of trolls, and encourages the arbitrary labeling to everyone and everything.

It's one of the sadder things to me in the community, how quickly everyone gets called a troll. It implies purposeful failing, which then justifies a 'we can't win anyway cuz we have a troll' mentality, which loses more games in my experience than the supposed troll does.

I would have written it as 'people who report excessively when the Tribunal disagrees eventually have no weight with their reports.'

JevelFaithful

04-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Walrus View Post
@Riot can you explain a little more about how one would get these warnings?

My weekend usually goes like this:
1. get drunk
2. play LoL

To my knowledge I haven't been reported to the tribunal yet, but if this warning system picks up on swearing/offensive language and/or "bad" scores, I'm boned because swearing and dying is pretty much what happens and probability increases at the night goes on. That is not to say I'm purposely feeding or trolling normal/ranked games or that I just get tanked and go lose games... I'd say I'm a fairly supportive player who will cheerlead so to speak like:
"its ok we burned their flash"
"dont worry we'll get em next time champ"
"ill try to gank more but play safer"

At the same time I'll tell it how it is. The flamer screaming in all chat "noob team/scrubs/gg fed x champ" to stfu with their 5/10/0 raging at the guy who is 4/8/6. Everybody gets pissed off about losing, that's why its called losing. So will I get into trouble for verbally ***** slapping sense into players?
The system picks up on reports so... How often do you piss off your team mates enough to get reported?

texasone1

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-30-2013

Hey Lyte do you play league and if you do would you mind playing a game or 2 with me? Today is my birthday!

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

04-30-2013
32 of 47 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane1998 View Post
Bold is mine.

I am disappoint, Lyte. I think the term 'troll' is highly overused. I've been called a troll on more than one occasion, and I'm sure tons of people have been called trolls even though they aren't. They just had a bad game.

What people think of when they say 'troll' is pretty varied, and it's mis-attributed most times. I think using the word (especially by Riot) just propagates the idea that there are a lot of trolls, and encourages the arbitrary labeling to everyone and everything.

It's one of the sadder things to me in the community, how quickly everyone gets called a troll. It implies purposeful failing, which then justifies a 'we can't win anyway cuz we have a troll' mentality, which loses more games in my experience than the supposed troll does.

I would have written it as 'people who report excessively when the Tribunal disagrees eventually have no weight with their reports.'
I typically just use 'negative' or 'toxic' player. I've corrected it in the original reply.

I Am Tolan

04-30-2013

gg

Minharoni

04-30-2013

This sounds absolutely amazing

DarthReckoner

04-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
I think with these types of experiments we know it can work, but the difficulty is in the execution. Aside from issues with different laws in different countries, one of the issues with extrinsic rewards is that unless you can keep offering more rewards (or more types of rewards), you don't actually improve behavior long-term. For example, let's say you offer a Sportsmanship Skin. The players that are awesome already will just be the way they are, and get the skin. Another group of players might be toxic, and pretend to be sportsmanlike just long enough to get the skin, then go back to normal--their behavior hasn't actually improved. This reward mechanism is only effective until the reward is unlocked, then there's no more reinforcement of positive behavior.

It's not an impossible problem, there's just issues to work through and research to be done on whether it's a good idea at all for a game like League.
What if our honor ribbons were visible in game, instead of just our pregame avatars?