The cycle of starting items nerfs

First Riot Post
123456 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JevelFaithful

04-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexy Yutaka View Post
Most of the items you mentioned were nerfed because by buying them, you completely remove counterplay. I play a decent amount of top and mid, and whenever I see the enemy starting 9 pots, I know I'm just not going to be able to kill them, and it's going to be a tough lane. It's silly that by buying a certain set of initial items, you make it nearly impossible to trade with you. That should never be the case, and I'm glad to see that Riot has removed it.
^^ this

By the way, anyone remember why they nerfed boots? Or how they did it, I don't remember boots being hit.

CaptnJakSparrow

04-30-2013

Mordekaiser will almost never see play again, unfortunately.

Felaedor

04-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlappy View Post
Mordekaiser will see health cost reductions in a few years.
FTFY.

You're welcome.

CaptnJakSparrow

04-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felaedor View Post
FTFY.

You're welcome.

Key word in there, "years."

AlexanderNVV

04-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexy Yutaka View Post
Most of the items you mentioned were nerfed because by buying them, you completely remove counterplay. I play a decent amount of top and mid, and whenever I see the enemy starting 9 pots, I know I'm just not going to be able to kill them, and it's going to be a tough lane. It's silly that by buying a certain set of initial items, you make it nearly impossible to trade with you. That should never be the case, and I'm glad to see that Riot has removed it.
the only starting items that were completely out of hand were 9 pots and perhaps red elixir

all other starting items were fine and starting items are not meant to have whatever you mean by "counterplay", they should only help you adjust the early weaknesses and strengths of your champion in the way you like

CertainlyT

Champion Designer

04-30-2013
1 of 3 Riot Posts

While I agree that we have done significant re-balancing to starting items, I don't think it has been nearly the nerf-fest you believe. Rather, our Live team is continuing to try and create space for diverse starting purchases appropriate to your champion and expected opponent. Are they completely happy with starting items? I think the answer to that is "not yet" -- this isn't an issue on which perfection is easily reached, but things are better now than they've ever been.

Off the top of my head, here are some of their decisions that run counter to the theory that they focus on nerfing starting items.

DBlade is a better starting item now than it was last season (the passive change to flat regen is superior until you deal >100 damage post-mitigation).

Boots were not nerfed per se, we merely gave champions half of their benefit innately, opening more starts -- S2 was characterized by 8 or more champions all starting boots.

Long Sword was buffed in S3 (from 415 to 400... builds into Vamp Scepter).

Flask is still a viable starting item in a lot of lanes that didn't exist in S2 (I am watching the Korean pro team LG-IM #2 run it on Diana right now. The release version was plainly overtuned.

Faerie Charm and Rejuv Bead were added to a number of recipes for S3 (and Bead made cheaper), making them more attractive starting items.

Seeker's Armguard was added, making Cloth + 5 Pot a stronger start for APs against physical damage dealers.

Voidgolem

04-30-2013

More! More build paths for longsword and cloth armor! Like eight is not enough!

and I guess mantle too. Just so it doesn't feel neglected.

Epicbethyname

04-30-2013

Just because you add more options doesn't mean they're better options.

SinnerMagnius

04-30-2013

I think my main problem with the starting item nerf is 1v2 lanes, they're already boring to watch, predictable and hard to deal with as a player. Pots made them a bit more manageable, with the nerf of these starting items it's going to be reinforcing 2v1 lanes as a dominant strategy and I'm really not sure if that's a good thing.

Bakabridget

04-30-2013

While there will always be a best starting item, I think the pots start was the worst. It made things too passive. Why even bother harassing your opponent when they have more than enough pots to sustain every bit of it?

123456 ... 9