Some ideas about visual aspects of the game.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

El Pica Hielo

04-29-2013

Hello, I would like to send some suggestions for the game.
My suggestions are:

1) View of the Game Map (perspective): There is a significant difference in perspective map view, depending on the side where you start the game, aside BLUE (BOT) or violet side (TOP). One day I grabbed thinking: "Is it possible that, independent of the color that identifies each team (BLUE or PURPLE), the map is viewed from the same perspective?" I mean, that the prospect for the 10 players is the same, the enemy base will always be on TOP. It would be something really innovative and I think that no game has this mode.

2) MAPS (theme/style): After the 3rd round at Summoners Rift I'm bored of seeing trees ... (or any other map). I think it would be good to have options of maps, such as being able to choose a different scenario. Examples: Snow, Forest, Barren Earth, Desert, Holy Land, etc.. I think it would be good to choose the style of the map before starting the game, in all game modes (5v5, 3v3, etc..). Something that could be done is a map representing each region / facet of the game (Demacia for example) and others.

3) REAL skin PREVIEW at the store: Not all people know they can find on youtube to see how the skins would be on the Champion. I think it would be better and more practical, if the game have a REAL preview of how you will see the skin on the character while playing, with the option to rotate the 3D model to see the skin from all angles. It would be great!

Well, that's all for now, I hope these proposals reach somewhere, and feel free to comment and share your point of view,

Greetings to all!

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

04-29-2013
1 of 2 Riot Posts

Concerning your first point, this is an idea that I was thinking about recently, but I hit a couple of problems with it.

Baron would switch relative position depending on what your actual starting point would be, and that would be pretty bewildering for players.

Our geometry is optimized for the camera. If the map was changed so it could be freely rotated around, it would either require a lot more geometry, or would just look worse because we would be spending our geometry making the level look good from all angles.

It would cause some starting confusion. We would need to create an easy way for a player to know which side of the jungle would actually be on their right or left.

There are a lot of other concerns, but it is a more complex problem than it looks like on the surface.

We used to have various skins for our maps, including a winter skin for Summoner's rift. The environment team has a lot of priorities that it needs to juggle, but the idea of doing more of them in the future definitely has potential.

exe3

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-29-2013

I miss Winter Summoner's Rift. T_T

dharmagenesis

04-29-2013

i think u can even buy skins for the map and u chosse whch map skin see and other players chose their own skins after all u get it for urself

Wybourne

04-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
Concerning your first point, this is an idea that I was thinking about recently, but I hit a couple of problems with it.

Baron would switch relative position depending on what your actual starting point would be, and that would be pretty bewildering for players.

Our geometry is optimized for the camera. If the map was changed so it could be freely rotated around, it would either require a lot more geometry, or would just look worse because we would be spending our geometry making the level look good from all angles.

It would cause some starting confusion. We would need to create an easy way for a player to know which side of the jungle would actually be on their right or left.
What if you removed the vision bias by rotating the map 45 degrees so the the river runs horizontally down the center of the map? The whole going from east to west as opposed to northeast to southwest works well on the Dominion and Twisted Treeline maps, why couldn't it also work on Summoner's Rift and Proving grounds as well?

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

04-30-2013
2 of 2 Riot Posts

The problem isn't actually the the 45% rotation of the map. Turning the map so that the mid lane is straight is going to put the top and bottom lanes at an odd angle. A bigger issue is the 56% tilt of the camera so that the game is not completely top down, but altering that brings it's own problems.

Wybourne

04-30-2013

Mid and bottom lanes for purple side are already at an odd angle though.