Community Development, Two Years On: Riot Pls

123456 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Stormchaser

04-26-2013

b

Ziliphade

04-27-2013

BUMP FOR THE LEGENDs

MathMage

04-27-2013

Bump.

CommandShockwave

04-27-2013

Wow, that's actually a fantastic concept.

The idea of just ditching soloQ altogether really is something I can get on-board with. Why try forcing people to adjust their behavior based on negative consequences and positive rewards determined well after the fact, when you can just have your peers be the ones to weed out the toxicity immediately.

+1

MathMage

04-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Schtiffles View Post
Wow, that's actually a fantastic concept.

The idea of just ditching soloQ altogether really is something I can get on-board with. Why try forcing people to adjust their behavior based on negative consequences and positive rewards determined well after the fact, when you can just have your peers be the ones to weed out the toxicity immediately.

+1
By 'soloQ' I assume you mean ranked solo queue. Solo queuing in normals is pretty much unavoidable; it's the easy way to play when you can't be bothered to find some friends to play with, and if Riot gets rid of easy ways to play they lose a significant portion of their playerbase. Plus, new players would have a terrible time finding ways to play without solo queue.

I do truly want to eliminate the notion that solo queue is anything but a casual mode. Getting rid of ranked solo queue entirely would be one way to accomplish this, but might be too large a transition.

CommandShockwave

04-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMage View Post
By 'soloQ' I assume you mean ranked solo queue. Solo queuing in normals is pretty much unavoidable; it's the easy way to play when you can't be bothered to find some friends to play with, and if Riot gets rid of easy ways to play they lose a significant portion of their playerbase. Plus, new players would have a terrible time finding ways to play without solo queue.

I do truly want to eliminate the notion that solo queue is anything but a casual mode. Getting rid of ranked solo queue entirely would be one way to accomplish this, but might be too large a transition.
Err, well yeah, I was talking strictly Ranked.

MathMage

04-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Schtiffles View Post
Err, well yeah, I was talking strictly Ranked.
Haha, all right. With the ambiguity of LoL terminology, sometimes it's hard to tell which terms people are using for which concepts.

Takerial

04-27-2013

Getting rid of ranked solo queue wouldn't be a good idea. Some people would prefer the option to go in it alone without a guild or a team etc going on. Especially since it would mean you'd have to join a guild or team to participate in rank and that shouldn't have to be a requirement in this circumstance.

I do think the guild system has merit. It would also solve a lot of queue problems.

Or even allow people to queue with more than just one other person without having to form a 5 man team.

MathMage

04-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takerial View Post
Getting rid of ranked solo queue wouldn't be a good idea. Some people would prefer the option to go in it alone without a guild or a team etc going on. Especially since it would mean you'd have to join a guild or team to participate in rank and that shouldn't have to be a requirement in this circumstance.

I do think the guild system has merit. It would also solve a lot of queue problems.

Or even allow people to queue with more than just one other person without having to form a 5 man team.
Implementation of ranked teams with respect to guilds would be more difficult; however, I don't think merging ranked queues to allow premades of any size is a workable solution. There's just too many ways for it to develop into stigmas towards groups of one size or another. I do think it's a good idea to give solo players a competitive outlet; at the same time, I want to see the ethos of competitive play change to focus more on the team than the individual. Of course, this is just the beginning of what could be accomplished with clans. There's lots of exciting potential for mentoring, fostering new game modes, and having various kinds of crazy fun. Competition is just the most obvious application of a guild system.

TheKingofEloHell

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendid Cake View Post
I'd love to have guilds/clans or whatever. Especially with incentive to joining one. Nothing more to say except that I agree. Well said.
Attachment 672530
As someone whose duo'd with diamond elo and still lost and my duo going out of his way to tell my team that they were the reason we were losing and tell me that he's sorry his backs not strong enough and that I played great/ breathe / I completely agree.

123456 ... 8