What impresses rioters?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rossingol

04-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
If you love writing and the experiences that you can create with words and games, Twine is an interactive fiction tool that is being used to make some insanely good stuff. For example, howling dogs, which is some of the best writing anywhere.

Thank you for that, I'm going to look into it immediately!

NotSid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-18-2013

My question for a red is, how do you GET passionate about something? That's a really difficult question to answer, I'd say. I haven't found my passion yet. I mean, I love gaming, and you could say it's my passion, but I know nothing about making them and I don't know if I would have the passion to go about learning it.

Brightinly

04-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarizard View Post
I like the cut of your jib.

...Wait a second. I see what you did there.

The Wild Scarizard Fled!
I used mean look, where is your god now?

Dl2agon

04-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag View Post
The week before I interviewed at Riot, I went skydiving. I did this specifically to have something really interesting to talk about during my interview, but I also went a little further. I ordered the video package for the skydive and got the raw video from them. I edited the video the morning of my interview and showed it to them, complete with badass music. I won't say that impressed them enough to hire me, but I know it didn't hurt.
Why is it you dont ever post in brand threads D: support your mighty avatar! ps. fix his ult bug please.

Skyhawke

04-18-2013

Quote:
Warning: probably nothing league-related with this post

Not to just turn this thread into giga-real-talk, but i'm know this is common. As someone who's been in this position i really want to stress something; not all who wander are lost. Take this time and as much as you need to 'figure out what you want to do with your life' - as cheesy as it sounds, you need a dream to have a dream job.

I've had more odd-jobs and opportunities thrown at me than you can shake a stick at, but once it hit me that Game Design (and specifically for Riot) was what i really wanted; not just 'what i thought would be cool to do', not just 'something i thought i could be interested in' - the path was set. Did i get lucky? I'm sure luck has worked its way in there somewhere, but you can't find a rare pokemon without going into the tall grass.
@Afflictid - I'm probably a little late to the conversation, but I just wanted to second what Scarizard said here. I, too, was in a similar situation. It took an "intervention" of sorts from my friends to realize that I wasn't going towards a field that I had a true passion for, and when I found out what I wanted I started pushing forward again.

I ended up switching schools and making up some classes, but I'm back on track again now. All I needed was that big goal to give me something to run towards. I'm running through the "tall grass" like Scarizard did and I hope to get that little bit of luck to get into game design, but the amazing thing is that now I feel more comfortable in a lot of aspects in my life. I don't feel rushed to get a game design job, but it is more of a calm confidence that I am working towards it, and now all the little goals I have are easier.

Edit: I kind of ninja'ed Morello. Kind of.

Morello

Lead Designer

04-18-2013
18 of 26 Riot Posts

Quote:
Warning: probably nothing league-related with this post

Not to just turn this thread into giga-real-talk, but i'm know this is common. As someone who's been in this position i really want to stress something; not all who wander are lost. Take this time and as much as you need to 'figure out what you want to do with your life' - as cheesy as it sounds, you need a dream to have a dream job.

I've had more odd-jobs and opportunities thrown at me than you can shake a stick at, but once it hit me that Game Design (and specifically for Riot) was what i really wanted; not just 'what i thought would be cool to do', not just 'something i thought i could be interested in' - the path was set. Did i get lucky? I'm sure luck has worked its way in there somewhere, but you can't find a rare pokemon without going into the tall grass.
I need to add to this, as I'm also a college dropout. That doesn't mean college doesn't have value, but it's not auto-win, or even always valuable for each person. It also depends on what you want to do.

Scarizard is right though, it's about what you do, what you learn, and how you develop skills. Some people learn that through traditional education (Lyte probably learned a few things earning his PhD ), some through doing mods or indie projects, others through analogous work in other fields, etc. One of the most liberating and daunting things about this industry is how there's no right answer on "how to." How you answer that is specific to yourself.

Morello

Lead Designer

04-18-2013
19 of 26 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedGranny View Post
This is quite naive.

Very often, lack of resources is exactly what prevents someone from doing what they love. That frustration is the angst which has driven human suffering since forever. It strikes me as worse than naive, actually: it's stupid. It's very much like when the wealthy CEO tosses off one of those "let them eat cake" comments about the economy.

"If they're unemployed, great, they have time then to start a business and enjoy life finally!"

Game creation is a very time-consuming task which is notably difficult to engage in while working two jobs at Panera and Walmart to pay rent.

There are a great many passionate, intelligent, otherwise-capable people who will never get the chance to impress you or anyone.

It's a matter of opportunity, too. Not just motivation.
It's a matter of creating opportunity. Is it important enough to prioritize? If not, then that speaks more volumes about passion and motivation than anything else that could be said.

If someone with my humble education, upbringing and background can do what I do on League of Legends, then I suspect anyone with the talent and the drive can achieve it.

Aussiebumbum

04-18-2013

Once I finish my education at school I plan to enroll myself into uni (Equivalent to College), as a proud and passionate gamer I want to do a course in bachelor of games and interactive entertainment. Personally, I'm someone who aim's to follow my dreams and with good intentions. Everything points in a positive direction with what you said.

Keltas

04-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
What impresses me is exactly what I see in my co-workers and friends. Self-motivation and the desire to conquer a craft, to make something big, even if there are little means to do so. You don't need $3k worth of software to show me a lineup of awesome characters. Printer paper and pencil lead will do just fine to do those explorations.
I'm actually going to school right now to be a Game Designer. I've wanted to work at riot since League came out. I've designed numerous champions on paper and constantly am thinking of new ones. The problem is I have never gotten a job in my life (I'm 19, not a single place will hire me because I lack absolutely any experience. my college isn't helping either, I'm teaching myself to code because I have to take 2 years of unrelated classes to learn it.)

When I look at your job application forms, I wouldn't even come close to meeting to automatic 10 point requirement for it to be looked at. I literally only have the things I design for any game company, it makes it really hard to stay motivated when I submit content (such as champions) and never get any feedback. I feel like I'm trying to do something I'm not suited for.

Do you have any suggestions what I could do to get more noticed by riot?(or any game company, there's plenty I would love to work for that I make content for) I could find all the champions I designed and post them, as I've only posted one, but I feel like there's some huge thing I'm missing and I don't know what.

Edit: It doesn't help that I'm bad at art. I can picture everything I design, but I can't translate it into an image on paper for my life.

Edit2 lol: I noticed you've redone your application. I doubt someone with zero experience could be looked at, but it gives me a little more hope.

Scarizard

Live Balance Designer

04-18-2013
20 of 26 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSid View Post
My question for a red is, how do you GET passionate about something? That's a really difficult question to answer, I'd say. I haven't found my passion yet. I mean, I love gaming, and you could say it's my passion, but I know nothing about making them and I don't know if I would have the passion to go about learning it.
Prolly my last post for the night, but this is also something i struggled with and kind of wanted to address -

warning: might contain length and feels - will also prolly be hella cheesy and not eloquent

For as long as i could remember, i was playing games. This statement might be true for a lot of us - i was a kid during the N64 Era and my dad bought my brothers and i the console along with Super Mario 64 and a Strategy Guide (even though mom said we couldn't have it). We'd stay up past bedtime, bonding and taking turns reading off where to get the next star and trying to beat the challenges ahead and figure out all of the game's secrets. The next thing i knew, every week or two we'd head down to blockbuster and buy/rent a new N64 game and beat it. (Needless to say, this was pretty awesome.)

Then, as i got older, i got really into acting. I had a starring role in my first play when i was 14 and got the opportunity to record radio spots for it on local stations - this series of events really had me looking towards entertainment - landing starring role after starring role, practicing all sorts of impersonations, comedy, singing, broadcasting, you name it. All the while neglecting my studies altogether (i was kind of a punk), playing every PS2/GBA/DS game i could get my hands on in the meantime (i skipped a week of school pretending to be sick so i could stay home while my parents were are work to beat Final Fantasy X).

Time went on - and aside from the occasional 'being a wiseass and delinquent', Gaming and Entertainment were my only real focuses. This is also around the time i was just straight up skipping school - probably only going 2-3 times a week. All of my time was spent playing competitive Pokemon, Magic: The Gathering, raiding in WoW, and just playing whatever new release was out or old gem i'd dug up (Chrono Trigger is, was, and always will be a favorite from this era). Then i dropped out largely due to disinterest - and thus started a tumultuous 3-year cycle of travelling america (with pitstops at the behest of my parents to return to Alabama and 'try out' college) where i really wanted to discover myself and my place in the world. Needless to say, being homeless on-again-off-again doesn't really lend itself to acting - so while i was just backpacking, crashing on friend's couches/floors, or just passing through town, i'd make sure to play this dumb game called League of Legends on my terribad laptop. All of my friends and acquaintances from this period wanted to know what i was up to, and that was when i'd get them to download LoL and try it out with me. The end result was creating mini 'game clubs' from various places i'd live in, and quickly came to use the game as a way to keep in touch.

I didn't know what i wanted out of life. But instead of job applications, i'd spend time skyping with friends and teaching them about League. I'd bum food from friends who cook so i could use my last 10 spot on a MTG draft. I'd crash at a friend's place for a week because i'd start a game at their house and couldn't put it down. From Atlanta, to Auburn, to Olympia and back - i realized that gaming for me was a constant. It endured. My love of bonding with friends and strangers alike over Donkey Kong Country, Advance Wars, Pokemon Cards - the fact that people from all walks of life could take a moment to just co-exist, all over a few pixels and chiptunes - it hit me what gaming really was to me. It wasn't an escape, or a way to waste time. It was a way for me to positively impact people i cared about - a way to spend time with loved ones or to stay in touch. That's sort of when i knew - and the rest is history.

What i mean is this - passion doesn't always come from a sudden moment of clarity. Passion, for me at least, is a slow burn; it's something you work towards. It's when sacrifices become no-brainers. Will all of you find your passion within the Gaming Industry? Definitely not - and that's okay. There's a range. From politics, to education, to music, to farming, to accounting, to singing videogame themes a capella - the trick is to continue doing it, no matter what challenges life has for you or whatever tries to get you to stop. And please, take your time. Take up a hobby. Take things easy. You'll find it - or it'll find you. But most importantly, be open about finding your passion. It might be something you'd never expect. My Mother is passionate about helping others through nursing. My Father is passionate about designing water meters. If you're truly passionate about it, it can never be uncool.