Let's talk about Champ Select

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RavenHusky

04-10-2013

I kind of like the idea of having some time before champ select begins to discuss strategy, because what is an extra minute? It gives everyone time to discuss what they're doing so that there are less arguments in champ select, and have everyone do a second ready check once everyone's content.

Also, should communication break down, I think either a vote kick or a free dodge pre champ select should be allowed, with normal dodge penalties occurring once champ select starts.

ProR2D2

04-10-2013

How about you choose your favorite roles/lanes before queue, so when you enter champ select you are already in a full group?

Buy a ward pls

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-10-2013

So I only skimmed through the riot responses to this, but it seemed that everytime prisoner island was brought up and the fact that the majority of the people in there would be bronze the rioters would argue that there were toxic people in all ranks so why would it be mostly bronze people in there?

But I mean realistically some what, 50% of league ranked playing population is bronze so wouldn't it make more sense statistically that the majority if the players there would be bronze?

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

04-10-2013
54 of 55 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroKuno View Post
Make a votekick limit for the day. There should be no reason for a votekick every single game. If you limit the votekicks then people will use them more concentrated and not blatantly abuse them on every game.
If we gave players 1 votekick per day for example, it's highly likely that most players use their 1 kick of the day. If you consider the statistical probability of 10 players in a game, each with 1 free vote kick that could be used in any given lobby... you see that we basically double or triple the number of Champion Select Lobbies that are required before one actually enters a game.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

04-10-2013
55 of 55 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by All With Style View Post
P.S. @Lyte: I always enjoy reading your posts on player behavior, toxicity, and positive reinforcement. I find most of them very insightful.
Makes me wonder if you could solve bigger problems in the world.
It's interesting to note that as we talk to other developers and academics about the League of Legends community and our collaborations with players in creating a stronger online community, scientists and developers have noted that the things we are learning in this collaboration could be applied to general, bigger problems in the world.

As we move towards a generation where more and more of our time is spent online, we're going to start dealing with new behavioral issues that have never been seen in real life contexts in the past century. It's an exciting time to be collaborating with players on a problem like improving player behavior online.

tjddnr

04-10-2013

I love these ideas!
except the vote kick may always not work out the way you want, like you called mid but the premade of 4 votes to kick you, or kicking people who automatically pick a champ not fitting the meta or considered 'troll' when all the summoner wants is to have fun.
also the vote kick might take alot of time, like when you queue up and 1/10 players decline you have to wait, I've had this happen to me 4 times in a row once. Make it speedy please!
these options are very nice and please implement them soon!
we're all tired of calling a role and then having someone lock in leaving us to dodge or become agitated and play something we don't want to,
thank you riot for your #1 customer service.

Cuix

04-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
If we gave players 1 votekick per day for example, it's highly likely that most players use their 1 kick of the day. If you consider the statistical probability of 10 players in a game, each with 1 free vote kick that could be used in any given lobby... you see that we basically double or triple the number of Champion Select Lobbies that are required before one actually enters a game.
This is an interesting point, but not fully fleshed-out. What if players have one -vote- per day, and failed vote-kicks take away that vote just the same as successful kicks? Champion Select lobbies -might- be doubled, but certainly not tripled. Maybe give out "votes per day" based on honor, specifically based on Teamwork and maybe Friendly. Most players get none, those with honor get 1-5. That takes it down from "double the lobbies" to maybe "25% more lobbies". Is that a problem, then? More lobbies isn't -grand-, sure, but the benefits would outweigh that cost.

Ulevo

04-10-2013

I am definitely of the opinion that champion select should use a system where you select your roles prior to queuing.

While I understand this puts implied meta restraints on how the game 'should be played', Riot already does this as it is. You have specific tags in game for champions like 'Support', you divide 5 players on each individual pro team by the position they're playing, and there are other factors are work that already heavily impose on how this game is played.

It's become a natural phenomenon, and I think it would create a much easier time if people could que up to play the role they desire. I think this would help to decrease toxic player behaviour both in and out of the game.

JimsHardcore

04-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
That is a good point to raise, but I also believe it could be discussed futher.
What instead of one "Vote-Kick" initiation, players had a set amount of votes instead.

Just like the "Hawk-Eye" system in tennis/cricket and many sporting arena's now, it could be used as a 'challenge'? If correct the user may remain with that 'challenge' or 'vote' in this scenario.
And since a minority of 1% of the community is toxic, would it then make sense to trust the community with this type of idealism? Only a minority of lobbies would be affected with troll 'kicks'?

@Lyte What is your opinion on a set "vote" number per player, possibly relative to their Honour System?

McNaulty

04-10-2013

None of the 3 suggestions in the OP are as useful as the ability to REPORT DURING CHAMPION SELECT.

This way champ select trolls accumulate bans at TWICE the rate. Plus, just make it clear Pick order is all that matters.