What Freljord Champions do you own?

Anivia 130 56.77%
Ashe 198 86.46%
Gragas 103 44.98%
Lissandra 58 25.33%
Nunu 186 81.22%
Olaf 137 59.83%
Sejuani 113 49.34%
Trundle 126 55.02%
Tryndamere 139 60.70%
Volibear 102 44.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

(FACTIONS) Freljord: Strategy Thread (updated as often as my time allows)

123456 ... 11
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CupcakeTrap

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

04-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enderzone View Post
Not very involved in the factions system so this is a noob question. Why is Gragas a Freljord champ? I thought he hangs around the mountains near Noxus. Are those mountains part of Freljord?
http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wik...eflow_Purchase

Gragas, the Rabble Rouser, made a journey to the Avarosa Iceflow, Freljord’s Northern-most glacier, in search of the purest waters in all of Runeterra. The League champion arrived to Freljord to stake his claim to the arid ice field. Meeting with King Tyndamere and Queen Ashe, the Rabble Rouser impressed upon his hosts the significance of this locale to his brewing art, imploring them to entrust it into his custody. Seizing the opportunity to capitalize on the development of an otherwise treacherous territory, the monarchs happily obliged.

Gragas signed an agreement to lease the Avarosa Iceflow from Freljord for an astonishing 9,000 years, ensuring that the cherished water supply will be his for the brewing long into the future. His dealings with the monarchs were then concluded appropriately and according to tradition: with a drink. Atop the wellspring, Gragas constructed the first large scale brewing operation for his most famous libation: the legendary Graggy Ice.


And he kinda looks Freljord, you know? Viking-y?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CupcakeTrap

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

04-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi ramfan View Post
Also, Cupcake, can you please add our thread to the OP and the signups so people can find it?
Added!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ckwigy

Junior Member

04-09-2013

Speaking from the perspective of a support main, we're in a pretty weak spot until some of the recent PBE changes push through to live.

Nunu's nerfs hit him pretty hard, and to be honest he's pretty weak as far as supports go right now. He's still probably our most reliable option at the moment.

Volibear is extremely weak as a support in general, but especially with an Ashe. Throwing an enemy onto your Ashe early game is more likely to end with a dead Ashe than it is a dead enemy in my experience. Also, Volibear is basically hard countered by any form of ranged cc, which pretty much every enemy support is going to have.

Ashe support is iffy, and she's our only strong choice for an adc at the moment anyway.

The key to supporting an Ashe is to keep her safe until late game. As crazy as it sounds, Trundle might be one of our best choices for support right now. His crapstick can provide an extremely strong form of disengage, his bite can debuff the enemy adc's attack damage, and his ult provides a strong debuff to an enemy's armor.

I haven't played Trundle support with an Ashe before, and he requires better coordination than most supports. However I encourage my fellow supports to keep an open mind.


Once the new stuff hits we'll have to find out what works. I have high hopes for Trundle (%damage added to ult, second slow added on q) , Sejuani (pop-up, aoe stun, %damage, slows, strong base stats), and Lissandra (cc for days) as unconventional supports. No one can say what will change before they're pushed to Live, though.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Numot

Senior Member

04-09-2013

Well now that Freljord is in I have joined factions, fighting for the home of my favorite champs, Freljord. I own them all, well not Lissandra yet but I will buy her on her release day. I have experience with Ashe, Sej, Anivia, Olaf, and my best of our champs, Nunu. Will be working on picking up the playstlye of the other 5.

Since Ashe is our only ADC it will cause us issues. I think we need to have comps that say to hell with the meta. Since Ashe is our adc they will expect it everytime. Lets make them pay for it. With all our cc we can easily run kill lane bots. With all our cc do we even need a true adc in every game? I like the idea of using Ashe as a mid. Ashe has a great poke, having the longest aa range in the game. She out ranges tradtional mids with just AA and if she still builds AD she will rip apart any Mid. Hey back in Ashe's day it used to be ADC mid.

This would allow for something like a Nunu/Voli kill lane, or a Voli/Trynd. That fling and slow will be a killer every time. If we wanted a really annoying poke lane bot could run Nunu and Gragas, although there ults might clash unless Gragas can use his ult to toss the enemy back into Nunu's ult so he can get that insane dmg with a full channel ult on them.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CupcakeTrap

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

04-09-2013

Just a random outside idea.

I feel like there's potential in having Ashe kite everyone forever because they're all permaslowed.

As for Draven: Draven is an extremely strong laner. It might make sense to send Ashe mid (old school style) and run someone else bot. You can even send Ashe mid with a support.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Numot

Senior Member

04-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupcakeTrap View Post
Just a random outside idea.

I feel like there's potential in having Ashe kite everyone forever because they're all permaslowed.

As for Draven: Draven is an extremely strong laner. It might make sense to send Ashe mid (old school style) and run someone else bot. You can even send Ashe mid with a support.
Ashe being mid also gives her the best place to fire off her arrows from, will help her hit the other lanes with it more often.

If Ashe went mid with Support it would have to be kill lane and we would have to send Gragas or Olaf bot, since they are the only that can 2 vs 1 well.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

mi ramfan

Senior Member

04-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckwigy View Post
Speaking from the perspective of a support main, we're in a pretty weak spot until some of the recent PBE changes push through to live.

Nunu's nerfs hit him pretty hard, and to be honest he's pretty weak as far as supports go right now. He's still probably our most reliable option at the moment.
Yep, Nunu is our "safe" support option. He synergizes well with Ashe and has buffs for the team. The problem I have with him is that after the laning phase he's just a buff bot. That's the reason Voli is a good second option-Voli does something after the laning phase ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckwigy View Post
Volibear is extremely weak as a support in general, but especially with an Ashe. Throwing an enemy onto your Ashe early game is more likely to end with a dead Ashe than it is a dead enemy in my experience. Also, Volibear is basically hard countered by any form of ranged cc, which pretty much every enemy support is going to have.
I disagree with you that Voli support is bad. Keep in mind that when you pair Volibear with Ashe, you have Ashe slowing everyone down in lane while Voli speed buffs himself and charges in. If you're slowed by 30% and Voli is sped up by 30% you aren't going to get away. And Voli has the slow and his absurd execute to give him damage of his own in the bot lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckwigy View Post
Ashe support is iffy, and she's our only strong choice for an adc at the moment anyway.
Hey man, I was just throwing it out there. Only way I could really see a good Ashe support is with, say, Tryndamere, because she can keep people slowed for him while he blows them up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckwigy View Post
The key to supporting an Ashe is to keep her safe until late game. As crazy as it sounds, Trundle might be one of our best choices for support right now. His crapstick can provide an extremely strong form of disengage, his bite can debuff the enemy adc's attack damage, and his ult provides a strong debuff to an enemy's armor.

I haven't played Trundle support with an Ashe before, and he requires better coordination than most supports. However I encourage my fellow supports to keep an open mind.
I've played Trundle support before. It's iffy because he has a harder time getting in range then you think because his pillar and speed ring animations are really really terrible. We're talking Poppy autoattack levels of bad animation here. And his AD steal is pretty useless if you can't land it on the enemy AD carry, which means that Trundle support is a good counterpick against say, Ionia or Noxus, but vs. Vayne or Piltover's collection of carries with escapes we're not really going to get anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckwigy View Post
Once the new stuff hits we'll have to find out what works. I have high hopes for Trundle (%damage added to ult, second slow added on q) , Sejuani (pop-up, aoe stun, %damage, slows, strong base stats), and Lissandra (cc for days) as unconventional supports. No one can say what will change before they're pushed to Live, though.
Yeah, that's pretty much correct. This is the Freljord mentality: we lock you the **** down, then stack slows on you when you try to run. There's no escape-that's our faction's identity and it's pretty much what we're pidgeonholed into.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

mi ramfan

Senior Member

04-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numot View Post
Ashe being mid also gives her the best place to fire off her arrows from, will help her hit the other lanes with it more often.

If Ashe went mid with Support it would have to be kill lane and we would have to send Gragas or Olaf bot, since they are the only that can 2 vs 1 well.
This post is going to be kind of a rant against 2v1 lane swaps because I had several bad experiences with them when I was Ionian. So before I start, let me say: 2v1 SWAPS CAN WORK IF YOU PLAY THEM RIGHT.

The problem with 2v1 lane swaps is actually playing them right. When I was in Ionia I had to play the 1 role in the 2v1 twice. Once as Akali against Caitlyn+Blitz mid, and once as Irelia against Draven+Mundo bot. I only bring this up because 2v1 always sounds awesome as long as you're the 2. For the 1, it feels like absolute ****. You're curled up in the fetal position under your tower, praying that the enemy team decides to allow you to farm. It feels horrible.

Now, I'm willing to take that burden for the team. I'm willing to sit in a 2v1 getting zoned-in exchange, I expect my 2v1 to do ****. In a 2v1, you HAVE to, HAVE to, HAVE TO PUSH. If I pick Gragas bot and I turtle up under my tower, and I look at our Ashe+Nunu mid lane and see you guys just last hitting while the Lux clears your entire wave I will start ripping my hair out and yelling at my computer screen. You won't hear anything in chat other then "mid/top please push".

So if we're going to play the 2v1 right then let's go for it. But if we're not going to do the 2v1 right, with all the pushing and 3v1 dives with jungler help that entails, then we shouldn't bother. Because doing a 2v1 wrong is the quickest ticket to defeat.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Numot

Senior Member

04-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi ramfan View Post
This post is going to be kind of a rant against 2v1 lane swaps because I had several bad experiences with them when I was Ionian. So before I start, let me say: 2v1 SWAPS CAN WORK IF YOU PLAY THEM RIGHT.

The problem with 2v1 lane swaps is actually playing them right. When I was in Ionia I had to play the 1 role in the 2v1 twice. Once as Akali against Caitlyn+Blitz mid, and once as Irelia against Draven+Mundo bot. I only bring this up because 2v1 always sounds awesome as long as you're the 2. For the 1, it feels like absolute ****. You're curled up in the fetal position under your tower, praying that the enemy team decides to allow you to farm. It feels horrible.

Now, I'm willing to take that burden for the team. I'm willing to sit in a 2v1 getting zoned-in exchange, I expect my 2v1 to do ****. In a 2v1, you HAVE to, HAVE to, HAVE TO PUSH. If I pick Gragas bot and I turtle up under my tower, and I look at our Ashe+Nunu mid lane and see you guys just last hitting while the Lux clears your entire wave I will start ripping my hair out and yelling at my computer screen. You won't hear anything in chat other then "mid/top please push".

So if we're going to play the 2v1 right then let's go for it. But if we're not going to do the 2v1 right, with all the pushing and 3v1 dives with jungler help that entails, then we shouldn't bother. Because doing a 2v1 wrong is the quickest ticket to defeat.
This why if we did it it would have to be a kill lane. I would not run Ashe/Nunu kill lane mid, it is too passive and with the towers so close the enemy can just camp the tower. Ashe/Voli on the other hand would work, thanks to Voli's fling and Ashe's slows. Voli charges in in flings the mid, Ashe slows them and now they have to run back past Voli to get to their tower and safety.

But that is just one comp. Another could be as I said before send Ashe mid and run mid old school. Then we do something crazy like Nunu and Gragas bot. Nunu and Gragas both have great pokes and both have great sustain. Nunu eats minions and Gragas drinks. Nunu buff them both. There ults combine in a very unexpected way, allowing Nunu ult to always do full dmg. Nunu ults, the enemy get out of his ult, Gragas knocks them back in with his ult. In the end you have a very powerful, annoying, highly mobile, and just plain unkillable bot lane. Basicly it is taking the idea of Nunu top and making it a workable bot lane.

And I have to disagree with you about late game Nunu, if he builds ap or even ap tank his Ice ball still hurts even at 60 minutes. It is still a decent chunk of hp gone, still a really good slow, and he still has that ult. If he uses it in a chock point bush they might not even notice his ult until it is to late. BTW, my Nunu top has destoryed Rumble in the past.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ckwigy

Junior Member

04-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi ramfan View Post
I disagree with you that Voli support is bad. Keep in mind that when you pair Volibear with Ashe, you have Ashe slowing everyone down in lane while Voli speed buffs himself and charges in. If you're slowed by 30% and Voli is sped up by 30% you aren't going to get away. And Voli has the slow and his absurd execute to give him damage of his own in the bot lane.
I know a lot of people swear by him. All I know is that I've only ever lost to a Volibear support once. It was the first time I played against one. Once I figured out how to play against him I never lost to him again. It might very well be that I've only ever played against terrible Volis. Or that I've simply gotten lucky, or any number of other possibilities.



Quote:
Originally Posted by mi ramfan View Post
Hey man, I was just throwing it out there. Only way I could really see a good Ashe support is with, say, Tryndamere, because she can keep people slowed for him while he blows them up.
Oh I totally understand. It's true. With our limited support roster we don't have the luxury of scoffing at any possibilities. xD



Quote:
Originally Posted by mi ramfan View Post
I've played Trundle support before. It's iffy because he has a harder time getting in range then you think because his pillar and speed ring animations are really really terrible. We're talking Poppy autoattack levels of bad animation here. And his AD steal is pretty useless if you can't land it on the enemy AD carry, which means that Trundle support is a good counterpick against say, Ionia or Noxus, but vs. Vayne or Piltover's collection of carries with escapes we're not really going to get anywhere.
Oh, you're right about that. He's not able to initiate fights very well. We'd be relying on jungle or on Ashe ult to initiate fights in bot. If he can get on top of their adc, though, they're gonna have a bad time.


On another note, since our enemies can pretty much count on Ashe being on our team and since she only costs 450, it might behoove us to first-pick Ashe whenever possible. Not a big deal or anything, but it might give us a slight advantage in counterpicking from time to time.


123456 ... 11