Anyone @ Riot play Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate right now?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Best Kagerou NA

04-08-2013

Cause I know I am, and I am loving the **** outta this.

Wiksy

Associate Software Engineer

04-08-2013
1 of 8 Riot Posts

I'm playing it. And I know there are a bunch of other people in the office playing it as well.

Only Bruisers

Recruiter

04-08-2013

monster hunter? never heard of it

Best Kagerou NA

04-08-2013

Oh you. I farmed the **** outta you for your armor ya know.

Only Bruisers

Recruiter

04-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12CenturyLegend View Post
Oh you. I farmed the **** outta you for your armor ya know.
who didnt? i actually played monster hunter tri, not ultimate but the whole series is amazeing

ricklessabandon

qa analyst

04-08-2013
2 of 8 Riot Posts

yup, i play monster hunter quite a bit. i've been playing mh3u recently, and i've also played mhp3, mh3, mhp2g, and monster hunter frontier.
the series is one of my favorites! i've got hundreds and hundreds of hours logged in across the various games. ♥

Xelnath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Systems Designer

04-08-2013
3 of 8 Riot Posts

I'm on hour 9 of that game right now.... it seems kinda simple?

InfamAce

04-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
You'll take that back on the later quests, haha.

Arctanus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-08-2013

I'm at 160 hours, HR 44 right now. Doing the 3 G-Rank Diablos looking for a Hardhorn to finish the Dire Miralis armor.

Gixia

04-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
Depends what you mean by simple? The basics of the game are fairly simple, in that it's basically just alternating back and forth between doing preparations in town and going out on quests in the same areas (more areas become available as you get further into the game but none will be larger or require more exploration than the first one does). Boiled down to the basics, it's just kill giant monsters to make fancy clothes out of them so you can go out and kill more giant monsters.

Once you get into the game, I'd say about halfway through the 2 star quests (in single-player, or pretty much right away in multiplayer), when you start being sent out to fight giant monsters, that's when things start getting complicated, as suddenly 75% of the quests essentially boil down to being long boss fights, requiring you to learn not just the monster's attack patterns, but also their behavioural patterns, as they'll lead you on chases throughout the entire area while they try and lose you to eat or sleep to recover their stamina or health, and you'll need to figure out what the best stategies for taking them down are. And the large monsters you'll encounter at first are easy, but they'll get harder. Then they'll start throwing multiple at you at once, and things just snowball from there.

I find the game fun and addictive, though it doesn't appeal to everyone. I find people need to have a certain mind set to really enjoy it. A combination of savouring the savage challenge that can come from a difficult game like Demon's Souls, while also genuinely enjoying some of the grindy aspects of MMOs, as you will end up fighting the same monsters an awful lot in order to get the parts you need to make the gear you want.