I just realized why Trundle needed a lore change.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rivini

04-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
When I was first pursuing Diana,

the drawings of her had her in armor,

sold into slavery
That fantasy.

IS16d1cfc8ecca5f40e259c

04-05-2013

Quote:
Pointless post
See that is all well on good because DIANA WAS IN HER CONCEPT STAGE!

The relaunch team put dismembered Trundle and stored him in the Frelijord.

You destroyed an established champion whom people loved, not a concept who hadn't seen the public yet.

Super Explosion

04-05-2013

Quote:
In the end we want relationships. They may be heavily entwined, or just a thread of connection. Either way, there needs to be substance that ties this world together cohesively, and ensures that when a champion claps their hands, there is a potential for another to feel a hint of that breeze from a thousand miles away.
This has been part of my advice for a long time on this game's lore:

You need to have each character feel like a real person.

And you need to do it in a way that is 'unexpectedly' lifelike.

No obvious heroes or obvious villains, just people with goals and motivations, themselves evolved in a relatable manner.

So people can "get into" the character, so to speak.

As a note to generate interest as well, try to make novel augmentations-- if ever anything sounds or looks as if you've heard it before, try to change it in a way that makes you say "wow, that's interesting" or "pretty clever!"

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

04-05-2013
19 of 32 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramund Hin Unge View Post
See that is all well on good because DIANA WAS IN HER CONCEPT STAGE!

The relaunch team put dismembered Trundle and stored him in the Frelijord.

You destroyed an established champion whom people loved, not a concept who hadn't seen the public yet.
I'd consider relaunch as applying some of that concept phase to established characters where creative and visual balance is seen as a good opportunity.

Alice Twilight

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-05-2013

OK I think I've found a way to address exactly what's been bugging me about this. I'm sorry it took so long but it's late. I think Trundle is currently one of best characters in the game when it comes to his lore and this change takes most of that away from him. I've stated this already but I've only shared negative criticism. It's not unheard of for established characters with completed arcs to once again feel the call to action. These veterans can take on new challenges with just about any sort of attitude and I think Trundle's dry sense of humor would flourish here. Most importantly though, the lore team frequently cites comics as a major influence, if that's true I'd invite them to read a whole lot more JSA because that's exactly what I just described: Established and complete character who could otherwise be resting on their laurels going out and being heroes. Sure it doesn't always work the quality of writing in the industry fluctuates massively but this would have been a far better best of both worlds solution. And it probably wouldn't have pissed off us trundle fans, I can only speak for myself but I'm mad and judging from what some of the others are saying on the forums a few of them are quite miffed.

stollerstigma

04-05-2013

Quote:
I'd consider relaunch as applying some of that concept phase to established characters where creative and visual balance is seen as a good opportunity.
Yet Trundle players were assured that he would remain himself. Instead the relaunch team murdered Trundle and gave us this Troll King.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

04-05-2013
20 of 32 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stollerstigma View Post
Yet Trundle players were assured that he would remain himself. Instead the relaunch team murdered Trundle and gave us this Troll King.
I find that sentiment to be hyperbolic.

MyDeadGrandma

04-05-2013

Quote:
<A complete dog's breakfast>

In the end we want relationships. They may be heavily entwined, or just a thread of connection. Either way, there needs to be substance that ties this world together cohesively, and ensures that when a champion claps their hands, there is a potential for another to feel a hint of that breeze from a thousand miles away.
And that wasn't obtainable with Trundle originally, so you threw him in with the current project that happened to be Freljord?

Seriously, put up a contest in the lore forums to 'tie Trundle's original lore into the relevant political landscape of the League.'

You'll get anything ranging from equal or better to anything the Riot team has ever done. It wouldn't be difficult.

Twerk it Twitch

04-05-2013

Quote:
He is right though. Trundle players discussed what changes wanted with various red posts including yourself and instead you guys killed him.

That isn't hyperbolic it's fact the current champion has nothing in common with the old Trundle outside of using a club and being a troll.

Alice Twilight

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-05-2013

Quote:
Perhaps it is but that doesn't change the fact that the core of what makes Trundle, Trundle isn't there anymore. You basically killed his fetich soul.