I just realized why Trundle needed a lore change.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jinx the Zombie

04-04-2013

A point easily missed by so, so many. Still, that's not to say that the current lore is good, which is the biggest gripe I have about it. It definitely succeeds in terms of opening up his character to the greater story of the conflict in Freljord, but other than that it's just kind of bland. I personally would have liked to see something with a little more oomph, something not quite so simplistic in its nature to bring a greater amount of depth to Trundle and his new role as The Troll King. Another player, unfortunately I don't recall the name and have since lost the link to the thread, gave a suggestion along these lines that I quite liked:

Instead of doing away with Trundle's cursed aspect all together, it could be possible that the frost trolls are being blighted by the Ice Witch's magics and Trundle's tribe suffers greatly because of this affliction. However, Trundle is able to resist the affliction for whatever reason (it could easily be the heightened regeneration from his original lore). The trolls then turn to him to find a way to remove the curse, so he goes off in search of a way to cure the disease. Instead he finds that the Ice Witch is the cause and seeks to destroy her. That could of course take him to her lair so he can find that new club of his which the trolls take as a sign that he is to be their new king and so on and so forth.

It's not a perfect synopsis, both in the sense of recreating what that player said and creating the bare bones for some lore with a nice middle ground between new and old, but I think it has more potential to leave him with a stronger motivation than the "I'll work for this villain then outsmart her later" cliche. And it's the cliche's in his lore that I have the biggest problem with. Well, that and the loss of his voice, but that's what the Traditional or Classic or whatever-they're-calling-it skin is for.

Gr8one777

04-04-2013

poor Trundle

People like "there you go man you cured... not GTFO"

But he like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T575Pbo4eWM

Kyrrion

04-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx the Zombie View Post
Awesome things.
I agree with you on some parts, but I think it's very important we don't pass a final judgement on the new Trundle until we learn more about him. All we know is what Quinn saw of him and his background. The background lore blurb simply gives the general background, it says "this is hte origins of this character", while those awesome journal posts Riot has introduced (like with Quinn and Zac) provide a whole lot more to their stories and adds real depth.

I think we need something like that specifically for this new Trundle. Certainly wouldn't hurt... Hopefully.

Calatia

04-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx the Zombie View Post
Instead of doing away with Trundle's cursed aspect all together, it could be possible that the frost trolls are being blighted by the Ice Witch's magics and Trundle's tribe suffers greatly because of this affliction. However, Trundle is able to resist the affliction for whatever reason (it could easily be the heightened regeneration from his original lore). The trolls then turn to him to find a way to remove the curse, so he goes off in search of a way to cure the disease. Instead he finds that the Ice Witch is the cause and seeks to destroy her. That could of course take him to her lair so he can find that new club of his which the trolls take as a sign that he is to be their new king and so on and so forth.
Isnt that -kinda- what they are doin with the new lore?

New Trundle, The Troll King, doesnt feel like the kind of character who goes 'ME EVIL! ME DO BAD THINGS FOR FUN! HAHAHAHA!"

His lore depicts him as someone who just wants to lead his people to better lives, no matter what the cost is. Wich means siding with Lissandra to avoid getting killed.

If they ever keep writing the journals of justice im sure they would go in the direction of "Trundle saw a chance to kill the Ice Witch and seize the power for himself and his people, so he tried to take it, but failed, resulting in the Witch taking hostages/wiping many of the troll tribes."

At least thats the impression that the new lore gives to me.

Jinx the Zombie

04-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrrion View Post
I agree with you on some parts, but I think it's very important we don't pass a final judgement on the new Trundle until we learn more about him. All we know is what Quinn saw of him and his background. The background lore blurb simply gives the general background, it says "this is hte origins of this character", while those awesome journal posts Riot has introduced (like with Quinn and Zac) provide a whole lot more to their stories and adds real depth.

I think we need something like that specifically for this new Trundle. Certainly wouldn't hurt... Hopefully.
I'm not saying the ideas in the updated lore are bad, I just feel they're just presented in a very bland way. The cliche's bug me, too, but they're kind of unavoidable in short summaries like champion lore. I do think that would be really cool if they did something really detailed about this conflict, though, and not just from Trundle's perspective. This is one of the best attempts at helping League's lore grow since the JoJ and the League Judgements were cancelled and if handled carefully and correctly they could bring a lot of good story back to the game.

Jinx the Zombie

04-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatia View Post
Isnt that -kinda- what they are doin with the new lore?

New Trundle, The Troll King, doesnt feel like the kind of character who goes 'ME EVIL! ME DO BAD THINGS FOR FUN! HAHAHAHA!"

His lore depicts him as someone who just wants to lead his people to better lives, no matter what the cost is. Wich means siding with Lissandra to avoid getting killed.

If they ever keep writing the journals of justice im sure they would go in the direction of "Trundle saw a chance to kill the Ice Witch and seize the power for himself and his people, so he tried to take it, but failed, resulting in the Witch taking hostages/wiping many of the troll tribes."

At least thats the impression that the new lore gives to me.
I agree that he's not acting out of a need to do dastardly deeds for the fun of it. They also are playing up that necessary leader role, in a sense, but it's primarily because they made Trundle's character more conniving. Which is okay, I just personally feel that his updated lore doesn't have that fleshed out feel to his character the way it could. What's more, that suggestion was more to bring forth the possibility of an effective marriage between the old and new lore, to show that a potentially interesting combination of the two would be fairly easy to accomplish.

Silver Grimalkin

04-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus871 View Post
Nami has reasons to not be there even.
Idk about you, but if i was looking for the macguffin that will save my people, i would want the summoners who seem to be the only ones in the world who know what the **** is going on.

On top of that, the league gives her a connection to diana, who is the best candidate for helping her out with the moonstone business.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

04-04-2013
1 of 32 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icker View Post
You can say this same thing about half of the champions. They don't have any particularly good reason to be there, they just are.
That's a problem. It's a big problem. Runaan is going to speak to this, if she hasn't already, but I want to emphasize that this is very much something we want to avoid. This is something we are reconciling as you see to the changes in lore that are happening, the assigning of factions, allegiances, etc.

We never want to complete out a champion's lore from inception. We want to have lots of room to tell a lot more stories. We don't want to conclude to a hard certainty because that closes the arch of a character. Integration with other characters, factions, etc, strengthens characters because it allows for continuous interactions, cross pollination and alliances. One-off-ism makes things not only confusing, but puts our characters at such distance from each other they may have no way to have a reasonable trajectory with each other. We need opportunities for characters to cross paths, to have relationships, to create conflict.

Again, Runaan will speak a lot to this. I'm not sure if she's gotten a chance to post about Trundle specifically. We've talked a lot about this before, and I'd like us to message why we do the things we do.

kooties

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-04-2013

Parrot! I beseech thee, a fellow summoner has a question regarding Janna's shoulder tattoos!

If you would be so kind: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3307345

CynicalGiant

04-04-2013

I would honestly like to see someone compile a list of every champ with a "kinda there" or "nothing to do" story like Trundle.

Despite him being my favorite character, Renekton might need a look at. Same with Nasus.