New and need some help!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SteezMaster

04-03-2013

Im new to league of legends and have close to no clue what I am doing when it comes to champions. I'd mostly like to play as some kind of a ranger/Mage or someone that does damage from afar and I was wondering what champions would be good for that. Also, what are runes and how do you go about getting them? And what is jungling?

Zaneysed

04-03-2013

I'll answer your last question first, the space between the three lanes (top, middle(mid), bottom(bot)) that looks like a forest is called the jungle. In the jungle (THE MIGHTY LION...) there are neutral enemies that can be slayen for gold and exp. What a jungler does is slay these creeps to gain levels and ganks lanes (surprise attacks them). The jungler usually stays in the jungle for the first part of the game except to gank.

For your first question I recommend checking out Mobafire.com, they have a search tool that can sort out ranged mages and then provides you with a guide for that champoin on how to play them, what items, runes and masteries to use.

On how to acquire such champions there is an in game store where you can spend either IP (influence points, earned by playing games) or RP (roit points, purchased with money) to purchase champions for permanent use.

AFK DeFault

04-03-2013

In terms of champions that deals dmg from far, there are Xerath, Kogmaw, Jayce, Ziggs, Gragas. Sadly they are expensive and considered as difficult for beginner. For runes, you do not have to worry about it yet. I believe it is more effective to buy champion than runes. (for now)

RiotKTGoldwolf

Assistant Producer

04-03-2013
1 of 2 Riot Posts

This week there are some free champions that might be right up your alley. I always recommend trying out the free champions when you're a new player to see what ones "click" with you!

Graves - Ranged attacker that uses a gun. He has an ability that does pretty good area damage, and a dash that you can use to help you escape danger. His ultimate is very fun to use.

Lux - A very popular Mage right now. A bit more difficult to play since all of her abilities have to be aimed and travel in a line. If that doesn't intimidate you, you'll probably love her. Also she shoots lasers, and that's pretty awesome.

Another good option might be some of the most affordable champions in the store. Prices for champions aren't a reflection of their power - many champions are available for just a little IP (currency you win just by playing) because they are good picks for new players. Check out:

Annie - The quintessential Mage of League of Legends. Lots of fiery abilities to do damage from a distance.

Ashe - Ranged attacker with a bow. Her abilities slow enemies which is useful for escaping or chasing. Her Volley (W) is great for harassing enemies.

Keep trying champions until you find one that matches your style!

Wipe on trash

04-03-2013

I would like to add something - do NOT pick Oriana as a new player.
My personal recommendation is Ryze. Cheap, easy and devastating.

Astral Yorae

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-03-2013

Hi SteezMaster!
I will send you a friend invite as soon as I log into the game. Once we meet online, I will be happy to offer any guidance you may need!

Welcome to League of Legends and have fun!!!

Astral Yorae.

Lone Leone

04-03-2013

Ashe, Ryze, and Annie are recommended champions and their range 450 ip to three wins and you can buy them but only one champ so total if you buy them three is 1350 but theirs some 1350 champs that are range but harder to learn and master but fun

IamGeorgie

04-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotKTGoldwolf View Post
This week there are some free champions that might be right up your alley. I always recommend trying out the free champions when you're a new player to see what ones "click" with you!

Graves - Ranged attacker that uses a gun. He has an ability that does pretty good area damage, and a dash that you can use to help you escape danger. His ultimate is very fun to use.

Lux - A very popular Mage right now. A bit more difficult to play since all of her abilities have to be aimed and travel in a line. If that doesn't intimidate you, you'll probably love her. Also she shoots lasers, and that's pretty awesome.

Another good option might be some of the most affordable champions in the store. Prices for champions aren't a reflection of their power - many champions are available for just a little IP (currency you win just by playing) because they are good picks for new players. Check out:

Annie - The quintessential Mage of League of Legends. Lots of fiery abilities to do damage from a distance.

Ashe - Ranged attacker with a bow. Her abilities slow enemies which is useful for escaping or chasing. Her Volley (W) is great for harassing enemies.

Pretty much sums up what I was going to say. Also, if you want you can add me in game. we can play a few together, and I can give you a few tips if you would like. IGN is same as forum name. Have fun!

Voxr

04-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteezMaster View Post
Im new to league of legends and have close to no clue what I am doing when it comes to champions. I'd mostly like to play as some kind of a ranger/Mage or someone that does damage from afar and I was wondering what champions would be good for that. Also, what are runes and how do you go about getting them? And what is jungling?
Annie and Ryze are cheap, fun, and really good for new players who like mages.
Ryze is easy to learn but hard to master, but is still really fun and devastating to the other team once you get the hang of him.

Annie is too. She's short range that controls a awesome demon teddy that is great to throw down in team fights and watch people melt away

GL HF!!

Voxr

CrescentNight

04-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotKTGoldwolf View Post

Does anyone else not have this for their champion rotation, or is it just me?