Keyboard stops working for a couple seconds throughout game

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LakusClyne

03-24-2013

Was not having this issue with iLoL but now that they are using the Riot mac client my keyboard will stop working all of a sudden in the middle of the game for 10-15 secs then start working again. I cannot use my Naga Hex because the keybindings on the mouse stop working as well because the keyboard stops working. It's a pretty annoying bug that has existed since the mac client first came out.

Dataslave

Adjudicator

03-24-2013

If you can reproduce this bug in the official client without the iLoL wrapper, I'd love to help. I saw plenty of people having this issue with iLoL over the past year, and didn't find any solutions mentioned.

LakusClyne

03-25-2013

Ok I just installed the official client and it's doing the same thing. I have a two monitor setup and basically my second monitor will start to flicker and that's when it kills my keyb input. After 15 or so secs the flickering stops and I regain input.

Brentmeister

Associate Software Engineer

03-25-2013
1 of 1 Riot Posts

I get this issue as well with my keyboard. I believe it to be a defect in the keyboard/macbook around the way USB devices are powered. It may be possible to fix this by getting a USB hub with an external power source. However, I do not believe it to be a bug with LoL specifically as I get it using pretty much any application.

LakusClyne

03-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotBrentmeister View Post
I get this issue as well with my keyboard. I believe it to be a defect in the keyboard/macbook around the way USB devices are powered. It may be possible to fix this by getting a USB hub with an external power source. However, I do not believe it to be a bug with LoL specifically as I get it using pretty much any application.
The thing is that I use the wireless mac keyboard that is connected via bluetooth. And also when the keyboard input dies so does my programmed hotkeys on my Razer Naga Hex. Q W E R D F which are all mapped to my Naga also stop working.

Dataslave

Adjudicator

04-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakusClyne View Post
The thing is that I use the wireless mac keyboard that is connected via bluetooth. And also when the keyboard input dies so does my programmed hotkeys on my Razer Naga Hex. Q W E R D F which are all mapped to my Naga also stop working.
Honestly, I've spent tens of thousands of hours on a wired Mac keyboard, and thousands on a wireless one, and I've never, not once, experienced the issue you guys are describing (using a 2009 iMac and 2006 Mac mini primarily).

I did use the wireless Mac keyboard on a pc for a few years, and it would lose connection once every few months, not due to battery life.

There are some reports on the apple support forums of bluetooth devices having issues when there's another device (old mouse), with barely any battery left, interfering. There are also some wired keyboard issues, but they're almost 4 years old, and seem fixed with an OS update.

There's lots of people talking about an iLoL specific issue. Gathering specific keyboard types and system specs as people report this issue couldn't hurt.