Journey Into The Freljord III: The Troll King

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Muranodo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Racoon View Post
I just wanted to be sure that when Riot got back from their weekend at WeDontGiveaDamnVille, they might just see that people care, and bother to respond to us for the first time in several days. Wishful thinking I suppose.
I understand the passion. The first time I saw this thread I was at work; I could literally do nothing but respond slowly on my phone. And after that silence. Then Grumpy Monkey came and quickly exited.Then the only League news I heard was related to events and savoring in the positive fandom.

Just have to wait for the PBE release. Then wait again for the outcry about what we've assumed (unless they change things between then and now) to begin the conversation anew. I'm rather jaded there.

Muranodo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-30-2013

Seems important to post these quotations here from Ironstylus. I somewhat regret advocating him as being more risky. He's again solely defending --- though, it makes sense, considering; I don't wish to badmouth him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
You're posting in a thread about VU. What am I to assume? Also, I'm an artist and you're speaking in a thread completely referencing art. So, again, as far as art is concerned, what this thread is actually about, no, he hasn't been on any list.

I'm sorry that you feel Trundle isn't up your alley anymore. If you have an emotional attachment to a character we don't want to dismantle that, but we do want to improve characters where we can. We want to solidify theme and bring up the execution where the opportunity exists. This is going to ruffle feathers, and we've resigned ourselves to that. It's a heavy burden to bare, knowing you're going to really cheese off a very devoted base of players, but we feel it's in the greater good where we see fertile ground. We knew what we were signing up for though, and we expect a good share of negative feedback. So long as it's productive though, we're going to soak it up.

We're trying to do the what we can to increase appeal and solidify where we feel there's shaky foundation. It's going to come with its share of bruises, but in the end it should help our roster be stronger, more cohesive, and better executed.
Quote:
You can call me out, it comes with the job. Truth is, it's not about popularity, it's about quality and cohesion. Character roster is becoming more important in terms of those qualities. That's why many things are fair game.

Trundle wasn't fulfilling a fantasy appropriately, or so we decided. Honestly, that's more Morello territory as he has a more solid opinion. However, I agree with him on that level. Fantasy fulfillment and the psychology of a play style/roleplaying of the character's mentality are things that were lacking in Trundle, or so we felt.

This is a subject more appropriately addressed by people who are not me. I don't really have a heavy an opinion as others do, nor do I espouse to have all the detailed math behind the scenes.

Urgot won't go anywhere, but he could use a polish pass to improve the quality of his model, animations and particles.
Quote:
Considering the ice theme overhaul it felt natural to go with his current hue and accent colors.
----

Not much to sad but greater sadness and disgust. I also find most of the arguments for it to be subpar and pathetic.

Shadow Racoon

03-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muranodo View Post
Seems important to post these quotations here from Ironstylus. I somewhat regret advocating him as being more risky. He's again solely defending --- though, it makes sense, considering; I don't wish to badmouth him.

----

Not much to sad but greater sadness and disgust. I also find most of the arguments for it to be subpar and pathetic.
I used to think that Iron understood characters a little bit better. Apparently, I was mistaken. If he really believes that making Trundle into -another- ice themed champion, and one who's drawn to look almost exactly like a WoW troll will somehow grant the populace some great Neverending Story fantasy fulfillment, then perhaps he needs to step back and consider if he's really an artist or simply a guy that draws **** that's already been done a hundred times.

Both he and Morello, it's very clear, have no concept of true characters, and only have aspirations of recycling what are already post-consumer ideas. I know I said it before in this thread, but if they are insistent on completely destroying characters, I find zero reason to play the game, and will uninstall the second I see a watered down WoW troll where a character used to be. Because if it's clear they're going to change characters we've come to care about at their very most fundamental level, then I can't be bothered to start caring for -any- character, since they'll all hit that point sooner or later, and be in line for another "cool" update.

FurryKittenSoup

03-30-2013

All I see are butthurt fanboys.

FurryKittenSoup

03-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Racoon View Post
I used to think that Iron understood characters a little bit better. Apparently, I was mistaken. If he really believes that making Trundle into -another- ice themed champion, and one who's drawn to look almost exactly like a WoW troll will somehow grant the populace some great Neverending Story fantasy fulfillment, then perhaps he needs to step back and consider if he's really an artist or simply a guy that draws **** that's already been done a hundred times.

Both he and Morello, it's very clear, have no concept of true characters, and only have aspirations of recycling what are already post-consumer ideas. I know I said it before in this thread, but if they are insistent on completely destroying characters, I find zero reason to play the game, and will uninstall the second I see a watered down WoW troll where a character used to be. Because if it's clear they're going to change characters we've come to care about at their very most fundamental level, then I can't be bothered to start caring for -any- character, since they'll all hit that point sooner or later, and be in line for another "cool" update.
"Both he and Morello, it's very clear, have no concept of true characters," wow ur gonna just diss them like that cuz u disagree with them on one little thing. i was right to call u guys butthurt fanboys.

Shadow Racoon

03-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryKittenSoup View Post
"Both he and Morello, it's very clear, have no concept of true characters," wow ur gonna just diss them like that cuz u disagree with them on one little thing. i was right to call u guys butthurt fanboys.
Thanks for the bump.

Holy Malevolence

03-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryKittenSoup View Post
You can call someone a murderer for stabbing someone to death.
So I'm going to go ahead and claim that the similar gutting of a character, while not justifying a criminal title, allows for such claims of lack of character understanding.

And at the end of the day I can find no better retort to you personally than to mock your usage of the single letter 'u'. People like 'u' make my eyes bleed, please find the nearest fire and do what comes most naturally to your splinter sized neural system.

Ophirr

03-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muranodo View Post

----

Ya know, not all Trundle fans hate his new remake. I'm an avid trundle player (he's one of my most played ranked champions), yet I love the new Trundle. He is now going to actually be part of the world of Runeterra, instead of some random troll that could one day get deleted and no one would be able to tell, since he has no connection to anything.
He has an amazing story and theme, being at the same time one of the most pitiful and one of the strongest characters in Runeterra, but it suffers from Isolation from everything else.
He fulfills a pretty awesome anti-tank/anti-bruiser role, but that role has been slightly taken over by penetration changes and the advent of league of warmogs/gap cosers, so I definitely see some justification in changing his kit around a little bit.
As for his looks/feel, I find that to be a matter of preference. But I do know that when I play him, I don't feel like a diseased creature who's spreading said pestilence around to the rest of the world, I feel like this epic troll hero who's bashing his club against the best the world has to offer, while being extremely resilient and hard to kill. I think being the Troll King helps to get that across better.

So before you start harassing Riot about how they destroyed this "epitome of perfection" that is Trundle, take a second and realize that this isn't a case of Trundle Players vs Riot. This is you, and a group of people with the same opinions vs Riot and a group of Trundle players with different opinions.

Adyalauder

03-30-2013

Trundle before sivir? Riot hates sivir for sure

FurryKittenSoup

03-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophirr View Post
Ya know, not all Trundle fans hate his new remake. I'm an avid trundle player (he's one of my most played ranked champions), yet I love the new Trundle. He is now going to actually be part of the world of Runeterra, instead of some random troll that could one day get deleted and no one would be able to tell, since he has no connection to anything.
He has an amazing story and theme, being at the same time one of the most pitiful and one of the strongest characters in Runeterra, but it suffers from Isolation from everything else.
He fulfills a pretty awesome anti-tank/anti-bruiser role, but that role has been slightly taken over by penetration changes and the advent of league of warmogs/gap cosers, so I definitely see some justification in changing his kit around a little bit.
As for his looks/feel, I find that to be a matter of preference. But I do know that when I play him, I don't feel like a diseased creature who's spreading said pestilence around to the rest of the world, I feel like this epic troll hero who's bashing his club against the best the world has to offer, while being extremely resilient and hard to kill. I think being the Troll King helps to get that across better.

So before you start harassing Riot about how they destroyed this "epitome of perfection" that is Trundle, take a second and realize that this isn't a case of Trundle Players vs Riot. This is you, and a group of people with the same opinions vs Riot and a group of Trundle players with different opinions.
the fact that ppl disagree with this perfectly reasonable statement proves that u guys r just biased butthurt fanboys. u guys shouldnt even have an opinion if u just hate everything that goes against urs.