the day malzahar gets a VU

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

tailsmph

03-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
As an artist primarily involved in upping the quality of older content, I will switch departments and get on those other things right away.
You could design models that look like, ya know, from this generation of graphics. With things like...... moving mouths...... facial expressions.......... ect......

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

03-30-2013
10 of 30 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv 50 Poliwrath View Post
Bold part is where we call you out. The roster being stronger doesn't require you to delete Trundle. You are pissing off the people who have been playing Trundle happily, the ones whom only asked for a slight animation change or number job. Instead we are getting an artistically bland champion to appeal to players who didn't care about him before so you can up the sales for a small amount of time before he fades back into obscurity. It just shows us you never really cared ( we had to bare with Morello calling Trundle a mistake).

How long until Urgot is deleted to make him into a hunk? I mean it's obviously he isn't popular due to his visuals.
You can call me out, it comes with the job. Truth is, it's not about popularity, it's about quality and cohesion. Character roster is becoming more important in terms of those qualities. That's why many things are fair game.

Trundle wasn't fulfilling a fantasy appropriately, or so we decided. Honestly, that's more Morello territory as he has a more solid opinion. However, I agree with him on that level. Fantasy fulfillment and the psychology of a play style/roleplaying of the character's mentality are things that were lacking in Trundle, or so we felt.

This is a subject more appropriately addressed by people who are not me. I don't really have a heavy an opinion as others do, nor do I espouse to have all the detailed math behind the scenes.

Urgot won't go anywhere, but he could use a polish pass to improve the quality of his model, animations and particles.

SlVIR

03-30-2013

Thanks for coming to these threads parrot and talking to us about VU.

Even though some self righteous jerks try to drive you away <3

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

03-30-2013
11 of 30 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsmph View Post
You could design models that look like, ya know, from this generation of graphics. With things like...... moving mouths...... facial expressions.......... ect......
We're not an FPS. Models with feature creep don't add value to our type of game and usually only add a pile more data to the size of files. Economical models where we're being selective with detail tend to be the best solution. Mouth pockets and some other minor features do help however.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

03-30-2013
12 of 30 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luscious Lenny View Post
Thanks for coming to these threads parrot and talking to us about VU.

Even though some self righteous jerks try to drive you away <3
I wouldn't be doing what I do if I wasn't willing to talk to advocates and critics alike =)

MadLock

03-30-2013

Quote:
What the Parrot said
So do you feel that Zilean would require a visual update soon?

CynicalGiant

03-30-2013

Is Nasus ever going to get a VU? Renekton looks all nice and stuff and has amazing new skins, and Nasus really doesn't.

Ninth Belief

03-30-2013

Quote:
Actually, I'd totally do this if I had my choice. I'd probably drive our animators crazy with how many rigging bones I'd have them put in his hair! I think there's a line to skate with Taric. Tons of opportunities, but wow, do we ever have to make sure we do right by players and the psychology embraced by those who play him.

I really love that design but honestly, it might be a little too serious for Taric.
Please no.

Please go with the chinese artwork one. I really, REALLY hate murrica taric. He's not meant to be silly. The community did that. And don't say "Well that's what's important!" because if that were true, then Taric would've never received the changes he got recently that made him viable outside the support role -- RIOT originally envisioned him as bruiser with a potential support role, NOT the community. RIOT originally envisioned Taric as a badass Gem knight, the community made him sparkling gayboy. He can have a sparkling gayboy skin, but Chinese Taric is the better taric.

Edit: Downvotes -- of course. http://oi56.tinypic.com/2ymhnrb.jpg is Chinese Taric. I don't even know what to say.

Vulking

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-30-2013

Quote:
You're posting in a thread about VU. What am I to assume? Also, I'm an artist and you're speaking in a thread completely referencing art. So, again, as far as art is concerned, what this thread is actually about, no, he hasn't been on any list.

I'm sorry that you feel Trundle isn't up your alley anymore. If you have an emotional attachment to a character we don't want to dismantle that, but we do want to improve characters where we can. We want to solidify theme and bring up the execution where the opportunity exists. This is going to ruffle feathers, and we've resigned ourselves to that. It's a heavy burden to bare, knowing you're going to really cheese off a very devoted base of players, but we feel it's in the greater good where we see fertile ground. We knew what we were signing up for though, and we expect a good share of negative feedback. So long as it's productive though, we're going to soak it up.

We're trying to do the what we can to increase appeal and solidify where we feel there's shaky foundation. It's going to come with its share of bruises, but in the end it should help our roster be stronger, more cohesive, and better exectuted.
Mr. Parrot, while I do accept and understand trundles new lore and look, I have to ask, does he really have to had his color scheme switched to the WoW Troll standard color scheme? I mean, is so hard to not make the comparison to the WoW trolls do to that, couldn't he have been a bit more greenish? I would have preferred him looking like Ganondorf than a WoW troll.

BlargCow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-30-2013

what are your thoughts on shen? his arms look like two big meatballs conjoined