Can't update, "unspecified error occurred"

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dataslave

Adjudicator

03-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by twizzm View Post
did a complete reinstall and repatch with ethernet cord, still the same warning at 99%. so with all the money i invested in the 2 weeks i had this, youre telling me im screwed?
There's always hope, but it requires answering questions about your problem, and a little time. If you're not sure about any of these, just ask, they're pretty easy to figure out with someone to guide you.

1) Is your account on the computer an administrator?
2) Do you have a case-sensitive file system
3) Are you running any sort of third party software which could affect your network connection? (virus software, firewall, little snitch, etc)
4) Do you have any custom DNS settings?

Can you post your new patcher logs from the new install? I'd like to verify that you're getting the exact same error as the old install.

Also, though this support page is specific to windows, we can adapt some of it to the mac client.

Under Force a Repatch, when it says to open the following directory: C:\Riot Games\League of Legends\RADS\projects\lol_air_client\releases\{hig hest version number}, you want to instead find your League of Legends.app file in Applications, right click and go Show Package Contents, then navigate to Contents/LOL/RADS/projects/lol_air_client/releases/{highest version number}. Follow the instructions from there.

twizzm

03-26-2013

okay :]

1. yes i am only account and user on my macbook pro
2. honestly not sure, how do i check?
3. no i have all firewalls and 3rd parties off
4. Nope, i am plug and play modem/router combo from Cox Communications.

twizzm

03-26-2013

right now doing the force a repatch, deleted all the files now its repatching, will keep posted after done.

twizzm

03-26-2013

Dataslave, the force a repatch worked. thank you so much. im logged in now. very much appreciated and you should get a raise, if you arent paid you deserve to be.

Dataslave

Adjudicator

03-26-2013

2) Open Disk Utility. Click on the partition for your primary hard drive on the left (Probably called Macintosh HD). At the bottom of the window, if it says Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled), you're fine. If it says Case-sensitive, Journaled, its a problem.

Try restarting your router, see if it has better luck patching after that.

Edit: glad to hear its working

Brentmeister

Associate Software Engineer

03-26-2013
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dataslave View Post
I've seen a few other people with corrupted installs like this, but I'm not sure what's causing it yet. At least one other person has had an issue with (/releases/Maclive/projects/lol_game_client_en_us/releases/0.0.0.38/files/Data/Sounds/FMOD/VOBank_en_US.fsb).

It looks like it keeps trying to download the compressed file, but it gets corrupted in transit (md5 doesn't match on the other end), and has varying levels of failure after that.

You don't have anything odd like a case-sensitive filesystem, do you? And you do anything like yank your network connection or interrupt the patch process during the initial patch to 3.0.4?

If bandwidth isn't an issue, could you try reinstalling from scratch, or hope someone else can make more sense of the log files than I can.
Just for your edification Dataslave, VOBank_locale.fsb are the largest single files that exist in our game.That means if there is corruption on the wire/disk players are statistically more likely to hit it on this file than any other. Also any traffic shaping that occurs on large files only would hit this. I have a similar problem at home when I try to download large files with Google Chrome I get a "Network Error" it only occurs every now and then but restarting my router causes it to go away.

HappyFourTwenty

Recruiter

03-26-2013

This all happened to me a bunch too. Just have to keep deleting and reinstalling :/

zomdomdom

03-29-2013

you know guys, dataslave isn't saying any thing that can solve it. he's just saying how to post logs and it doesnt work at all

zomdomdom

03-29-2013

all he says is to restart things

Dataslave

Adjudicator

03-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by zomdomdom View Post
you know guys, dataslave isn't saying any thing that can solve it. he's just saying how to post logs and it doesnt work at all
My first step in doing tech support on these forums is almost always to ask for your system specs and logs, because that's what you were supposed to put in your initial post in the first place. It gets old asking over and over again, but the people coming here for help don't seem to understand that its not possible to "just tell me how to fix it" with only a vague description of the problem to go on. I look at most of the log files posted, and I try my best to offer help based on what I see there.

In addition, if several people start chiming in on a thread, all experiencing the exact same bug, I'm going to request specs and logs from each and every one of them. The more logs that are posted for a single bug, the better chance of the developers finding the bug and solving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zomdomdom View Post
all he says is to restart things
The first thing most tech support people tell you to do, when you call them with a problem, is to reboot your computer. For odd network issues, such as this one, rebooting your modem/router is also a standard request.

Tech support for computers is all about slowly eliminating possibilities until you're left with the cause of a problem. The problem is, doing tech support over forums is extremely slow, and it can take hours or days to do a back and forth question and answer session with someone to figure out their problem. Often you'll see me ask several questions at once, or offer up several possible solutions at once; This is me trying to speed up the process.

Network problems could be caused by aging networking hardware getting confused and needing a reboot to clear things up, or it could be caused by antivirus or security software on your computer, or it could be caused by an improperly configured router, or it could be caused by your ISP doing traffic shaping on your patch files as they're downloaded. I'll throw in a "reboot your router" and "try at someone else's network connection" because trying those things will eliminate a lot of possibilities. If those don't fix it, I can spend my time offering more specific advice.