Journey Into The Freljord III: The Troll King

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DianasGotSwag

03-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTome View Post
As a long time Trundle player and fan, I suppose I should weigh in on what I think about the changes so far:

The Good
- Trundle is the Troll King? Awesome. It's nice to see one of my favorite champs in a position of power and importance in the non-League world. Additionally, putting him at odds with Ashe finally gets us a potential antagonist beast race in the Freljord. There's a lot of beastmen from the Frozen North (Cryophoenixs, Yetis, Bear-people) who are all seemingly totally cool with humans ruling the place, which I always found kinda unusual and lame. Having Trundle be the one to stand up and say 'no' to Ashe and Tryn's forced monarchy makes him an important character on the world stage, which I like. Fight the power Trundle!

The Bad
- All of old Trundle's abilities revolved around sickness, which it sounds like they are getting rid of. Pillar of Filth can be easily turned into Pillar of Ice, I guess. But what about Rabid Bite? Contaminate? Agony? Decompose? You can probably make these things Ice-based as well, but the real question is, should you? We have a lot of ice-based champs in the League, but very few plague based ones. Trundle's reliance on sickness made him different from other champs and fit very well with his role as de-buffer and area control. He was a sickly troll who made your team worse at what they did by contaminating the ground under you and giving everybody rabies while beating them with a big club, that's not something you see all that often in League. It seems foolish to replace something unique about Trundle with something generic, even if it is to fit lore.

The OK
- His new looks are odd and not what I'm used to, but I understand. Muscular Buff Trundle may not be the troll I know and love, but it works with his new lore. Non-buff guys can't be king. If that were true, Ezreal would be king. Do you want King Ezreal? I thought not. Since Trundle's a king now, he has to look the part.

- I really hope his skill set still focuses around sustain and de-buffing. It was one of the things that made him an amazing jungler. The Troll belongs in the jungle, Riot! Don't change that!
They could always just follow on from Trundle's current law. Sure they will change things and what I'm suggesting is almost certainly wrong in that say, Trundle goes to Freljord to find a way to lift the curse and ends up as the king of the frost trolls AND that Riot do tend to completely redo things makes it unlikely.

Conversion Gel

03-27-2013

Oh yes, look at all these people who don't play Trundle are now buying him to get his skin

PrinceOfTheCrows

03-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conversion Gel View Post
Oh yes, look at all these people who don't play Trundle are now buying him to get his skin
or they are now getting him because they like the new look. That's me by the way.

Switchz

03-27-2013

This is cool but i don't see how trundle get the rework when some champ needs rework than him!(Sejuani) nobody even use her now! Trundle is fine the way he is! Thanks anyway! And sivir her hair looks like a hoodie xD

thewolfknight52

03-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLSwitcH View Post
This is cool but i don't see how trundle get the rework when some champ needs rework than him!(Sejuani) nobody even use her now! Trundle is fine the way he is! Thanks anyway! And sivir her hair looks like a hoodie xD
I've been seeing quite a few Sejuanis in games actually. I feel she needs a rework myself of course, but she is seen a LOT more than poor ol' trundle. Long live the troll king!

THE CRlMSON CHIN

03-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by woopyfrood View Post
Upvoted.

Trundle's current design and themes have a cult following, and this change is a slap to that fandom's face, especially with a "Traditional" skin that just looks like a buff WoW troll that put on a Trundle costume. People who argue against the Trundle fans often use the fact that we're a minority as a justification for trashing his original concept, and that it's more reasonable to make him palatable to the masses than extremely appealing to a niche group. That kind of pro-homogenization thought should be fought against. It is antithesis to art and fandom.
This.
The problem riot face is they must actively pay attention to those of us who value Trundle and who Trundle is important to because we are not the majority. But in this instance we are the ones whose opinions are more important. If you're going to make a "traditional" skin make sure it isn't "a slap to that fandom's face". Riot I'm generally impressed with the work you do and I want to thank you for that, but in this instance I cannot help but feel as though you have let me down completely.

BCMYKRMCXYZiggs

03-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galgus View Post
His tribe isn't canabalistic, or at least they are heavily implied not to be when the lore says they are gentler than their more savage brethren.

Do you even lore?
Like I said in my edit, I stated what I did because whether his tribe ever resorts to cannibalism is inconclusive. It was my hope for Riot to change this part of Trundle's lore if they fully commit to the Trundle reboot.

[Edit from my previous post]

Seems some members of the forum have come up with their own conclusions of what the lore is saying about Trolls of Valoran. True, it is said that Trundle's tribe is said to be undeserving of the attack that befell them by the necromancer and they are the more mild mannered brethren of the troll race.

Still, the lore is ambiguous as to how far apart in nature the trolls are from each other. We are talking about fictitious races with no real definition until someone from Riot states otherwise. Besides humans or terran, most races are considered homogenous from the get go until otherwise said. It is unsettling to know trolls cannibalize and are separated from other intelligent races (whatever that means). If Trundle's tribe are so different from the rest of the trolls why is there no mention of them getting along with other races? It doesn't help that Trundle has the ability to bite other champsions in game. Some may assume that Trundle can resort to cannibalism towards his enemies.

Of course, I make speculations like the rest of the forum about how the lore is interpreted. But keep in mind that there is little to work with in terms of the what defines the trolls of Valoran since there isn't much troll lore. I have read the lore. And to conclude that cannibalism is out of the question because Trundle's tribe is "more genteel" and undeserving of their grisly fate can only be opinion.

I understand the emotional bonds that players have formed with the champion Trundle. I want like him and play him as well. However, parts of his lore is ambiguous and undefined at best. Bordering on traits that deplorable. Why do trolls even cannibalize to begin with? Is in their nature? Do they have a shortage of food? Trundle's splash sets him in jungle or swamp. Their should be plenty of game in those parts. Why resort to cannibalism in the first place? With the inclusion of Quinn's journals maybe more light can shed upon the mysteries of Valoran and Trundle's tribe.

I only stated what I did in hopes that Riot would change this part of Trundle's lore for the better. If Riot fully commits with the Trundle reboot, his lore may better define what trolls are fully capable of. Quinn's journal has already released bits about whats up with Trundle and the trolls that he leads. So far they portrayed in a antagonistic light.

Did Quinn judge too quickly when she observed the Troll King? Is there more to Trundle than meets the eye? Only time will tell.

Galgus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Hit Monkey View Post
I'm trying to really grock this one... So...

This...

http://i.imgur.com/WU0aNuk.gif

A model created in the game's youth, with limitations in technology...

Is somehow better than this...

http://riot-web-static.s3.amazonaws....omic_thumb.jpg

A model created when the development team has matured, better skilled, better tech and all?

Am I on Bizzaro Planet?
Most agree that the old model needed a touch-up, but they completely changed his physique to something out of touch with the old lore in the new traditional skin model.

FatedTitan

03-27-2013

Why does everything have to be buff and pretty? Why can't we have the underdog role represented? Why does the club have to look like he could carry it?

We have enough buff characters. We have enough pretty characters. And I can say with 100% accuracy that we'll be getting more of them in the future. So why do you have to take out those that don't fit that standard and make them fit that standard? Why does every champion have to have the same body build? Where's the diversity?

That splash art still doesn't look like Trundle. It can be a different ice troll and I'd say okay, but to put Trundle's name on that is blasphemy.

Zeunchainn

03-27-2013

Why you don't announce sneek peak on the front page anymore?