SERIOUS constructive criticism needed

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RobotDrZaius

03-26-2013

I have gone 3-17 in my last 20 matches. This has never happened before, and I typically win over 50% of the time. I'm far from good, but I geek out so much over the math and mechanics of the game (tryhard), I feel like I should at least be "average". Help me out?

http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/27716003

Also, two more specific questions:
1. What marks to run on supports and tanks? Taric for instance?
2. Is frozen heart not good anymore? It was considered OP when I last played a lot, now guides shun it and I'm the only one building it in game.

Thanks... Just need someone to smack me upside the head and tell me what I'm doing so wrong!

Hirumonogatari

03-26-2013

well, for one perhaps dying less is one way to go about it. i like to take it as a rule that more than 5 deaths in any one game is too many, and that's probably pretty lenient on myself. if you are an initiator or tank and have to die, then make sure you get 3x the number of deaths in assists.

every death means you don't gain xp, don't gain minion gold and give gold to the other team. unless your death serves a particularly important purpose, like protecting your carry (and make sure he's carrying, not some 0/10 carry with boots and a pickaxe) or that brilliant engage when you cc 3 people at once, it's probably not a good idea to die so much. warding would help avoid deaths.

i have mixed opinions about frozen heart. it seems that in this meta most tanky characters go for health first, i.e. warmogs. penetration is pretty cheap nowadays and there's diminishing returns in armour. taric especially already has bonus armour. although to be honest i'd rather be building a sightstone (or as xseckx claims, just get more wards and ditch the sightstone) and getting a runic bulwark.

i'm sure those more experienced than me at melee champs will have more insight into runes and masteries. i mostly prefer playing ranged champs.

and well, you're level 28. you're going to be in a rough stretch till you hit 30 simply because you don't have the full runeset and masteries. i'd settle on you learning the basics of warding, positioning, csing (if you're not support) and when to engage and when to backoff till you hit 30. you've got 2 levels of time to learn these important things, which are probably far more important than runes and builds at this point.

I Only Jungle

03-26-2013

You are dying quite a lot. Try to push yourself to die less in the game. Instead of playing aggressively, just farm a lot and wait for the opponent to make a mistake.

RobotDrZaius

03-26-2013

Unfortunately Lolking is having some issues, so it doesn't show the 2nd half of this awful slide. i'm level 29 now btw, so even less time to figure stuff out

CSZHUNG, about FH. I would hate to cut it out, but if I have to I will...it was ALWAYS my go to item on Taric, because he needs the mana and CDR. He now benefits more from the armor (W) and the Mana (Passive), so it seemed perfect. Also, his Q heal becomes less effective if i build health, and MORE effective if I build resistances. There's my logic anyway...but I do know I need to buy more wards before I get this thing.

Sparthikas

03-26-2013

I offer you these suggestions regarding how you could play Taric.

Summoner Spells: Swap out Clairvoyance. I use Clarity, as per the tips section, to enable use of Imbue to the point where it provides effective sustain. Even Flash+Ghost will allow you to survive more, but I regard Clairvoyance as a foolish choice because its distracting to use and it often can fail to do you any good at all. Pick something more reliable. Ghost may actually be your best choice (although I'll keep picking Clarity) because placement is so vital to your skill set. Taric needs to be close to do more damage with E, to do damage at all with W, and to use his Ult to greatest effect.

2. Masteries - pick Resistance instead of Hardiness. Taric's W gives him passive armor, so bonus MR will enhance his survivability more than extra armor. If you are trying to exploit the 12% (of his bonus armor) that gets added back into his W's passive, I'd say forget about it affecting this decision because 12% of 5 armor is too miniscule to make it worthwhile. Even the extra 1 damage it adds to his W's active doesn't make enough difference.
Forget Wanderer, you can do better. While you're at it drop Wealth and Pickpocket. Wanderer's bonus won't work at all in fights, and won't make enough of a difference to matter outside of them. Mastermind would be a more useful choice, and I would encourage you to take Biscuiteer/Explorer, Awareness, and/or Artificer. Wealth isn't worth it for the one-time bonus (although Biscuiteer/Explorer IS worth it IMO because the Explorer Ward in the first bush past your turret right away prevents an ambush which otherwise would cost 75g to derail) and Pickpocket may look nice but you really won't be attacking champions enough for it to make a substantial contribution to your farm, especially as compared to Awareness.

Items: You're right to build the Philosopher's Stone and eventually Shurelya's, but why not double down on the gold/sec items and build (starting faerie charm, pots, wards) --> Boots of Speed --> Philosopher's Stone --> Kage's Lucky Pick (into eventual Twin Shadows). The AP helps out superbly and the extra gold will too. If you picked up Artificer mastery, Shurelya's + Twin Shadows = synergized movement control.

Lastly, the Marks. Armor Marks might be a good deal (for the W stacking), but I like Attack Speed marks to speed up the rate at which I can refresh Imbue. The Armor itself synergizes well with Imbue, making the health you regain more valuable, but Attack Speed is what I like, and I see what you already use.

Good luck that's the best advice I've got, although I'm certainly no pro myself. Listen to me at your own risk.

Lethadind

03-26-2013

Yeah just like everyone else said, work on not dying.

Here's the thing. You're likely playing with people who understand little about game mechanics. You have to understand this and use it. You know that time before a teamfight starts, where you're doing the dance around, trying to find a good skillshot to poke with, or whatever? Usually it lasts about 10 seconds, and then one of the tanks dives in (or whatever) and all hell breaks loose for a good 15-30 seconds, one team usually comes out on top and pushes the inhibs. Yeah. So. Know when to disengage from that. Keep an eye on your health. A 10% health Taric is infinitely more useful to his team than a dead Taric. Safe is always better, 1 for 1's are never, ever beneficial, because you don't know what'll happen. Even if you sacrifice yourself for the carry, their AP carry might go in and mop up three kills afterward. Had you been there instead of dead, you could have stunned the APC, causing him to get blown up.

Focus on disengaging in your games. Consider it a failure if you ever die more than 5 times. No matter what role you play. Because, trust me, playing with the level of skill you're playing against, it is possible to basically never die unless you get the global taunt (they dive you to kill you no matter how many of them die in the process). So work on that.

Also, I'd work on champions who have a bit more influence on the game. Warwick is team reliant, as is Mundo. Lux can sometimes win games on her own but she's still very squishy. Learn some bruisers and take them top. Lee Sin is great to learn because he's pretty complicated. Knowing when to use what ability to engage with (all three of his minor abilities have engage potential), how to duel, how to dodge skillshots, how to sidestep skillshots while at melee range, etc. All of these skill are huge.

You'll find when you get in someone's melee range they usually just sorta stand there and throw out their deeps at you. If you know how to sidestep their abilities (Take Cho for example, his Silence is a cone, so at melee range, if you know he's gonna use it soon, you take a step out of the way and it'll miss you completely), you gain a HUGE advantage. All of these skills compound for teamfights, you see Ahri, Singed, and Warwick on their team, you know that Ahri is going to try to charm someone, Singed is going to throw his slow down and fling someone into his team, then run around poisoning everyone, and Warwick is going to ult the carry. So you bait the charm, stun warwick as soon as his ult starts and stay the hell away from Singed. Bam, you just turned the tide of the battle, because their cc is basically completely shut down for like 10 seconds. Your team now has full reign to do whatever they please. All because you pre-empted the engages and counter-engaged. Go you.

Good luck.

SeCKS Egai

03-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotDrZaius View Post
Unfortunately Lolking is having some issues, so it doesn't show the 2nd half of this awful slide. i'm level 29 now btw, so even less time to figure stuff out

CSZHUNG, about FH. I would hate to cut it out, but if I have to I will...it was ALWAYS my go to item on Taric, because he needs the mana and CDR. He now benefits more from the armor (W) and the Mana (Passive), so it seemed perfect. Also, his Q heal becomes less effective if i build health, and MORE effective if I build resistances. There's my logic anyway...but I do know I need to buy more wards before I get this thing.
Health allows resistance to do their job.

Aegis should be a high priority on most supports, the stats it offers to a team are wonderful.

Frozen Heart isn't really a rush item and more useful later down the line. It's not that Taric needs the mana and cdr, I've won games without it, and here's a screenshot of me supporting my team to victory on a smurf without a frozen heart, and 4v5 no less.

Warding and setting up the kill or peeling for the adc or a number of other things are more important.