You want to play support? Allow me to sing you the song of my people.

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

iPewPewUqueque

Member

03-26-2013

First game as support, need some advice.

Brief backstory goes something like this, I want to start playing ranked to see how I fair but I only know how to play AD so I figured I'd pick up some knowledge of alternate roles in case I don't get to pick AD for a match because I get out called or for whatever reason, so here I am about to play support.

I've never really played support, so i was just wondering if the community would approve of any standard cookie cutter support build or masteries that are highly recommended to be in every build (for example I don't see myself using Artificer much for item cd but it's still recommended on most builds so I take it anyway). I currently use a 1/13/16 general build, but are there certain champions that should have certain masteries like is pickpocket essential on lulu but you'd rather not on sona, or something like that?

How important are the experience masteries in the utility tree because I did find that I fell behind on my starter games as a support in levels?

Is there a certain percent of wards that your other teammates should be buying, particularly in solo q, and if so which roles would be most suited to buy them? I find myself in games where the map is 100% dark and someone always says, support you need to buy more wards, when no one else has supplied even one.
Is there an average for how many wards a support should have up at one time? I usually have up 3 to 5 but I still can't light up the whole map with that many. Should I really be buying like 8 wards at a time?

Kind of a follow up from the last question, but if I am always buying wards, how many items do supports need to be critically affective? If I spend 90% of my income trying to buy wards and light up the map, I'll be stuck with just level 1 boots until 35 minutes.
I know the theory goes, more wards = more map awareness = more advantages = more team kills = more assists = more gold = more items = YOUR WARDS WERE SUPER AFFECTIVE! But seriously, is it possible for a support to go through a game with level 1 boots, one small item, sightstone and a **** ton of wards and be considered an affective teammate? I know sightstone was created for supports to have more ways to spend their gold other than wards, but in silver league, I probably will be spending 110% of income solely on wards.

Thanks in advance, sorry if I used 'affective' where 'effective' goes, english is so confusing.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Snowbi Wan

Senior Member

03-26-2013

If you're looking for a super easy support to play I'd argue it is hard to get any more basic than Soraka. In lane use your E and W to constantly heal and mana your ADC. Watch your teammates' health bars on the left of the screen after level 6 to know when to use your ult. Ward the river, sometimes the brush. Do what you can to try and allow your ADC to get boatloads of farm. You have about 0 kill potential however, so you'll want to play fairly passively.

For items a Philosopher's Stone and a Ruby Sightstone are pretty standard . Then consider aura items like Runic Bulwark.

Moving into late game you'll want to travel with your team. Keep the river warded at least near drag and baron. Also wards in enemy jungle near buffs can be really helpful. Roam with your team. Spam your heal and mana spells.

Soraka isn't terribly popular in the current meta as she doesn't really offer any CC or tankiness - but she is easy to learn for a new player and allows you to grasp the basics of support.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Z The Slayer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

03-26-2013

For direct answers to your questions:

Try to have 2-3 wards every time you get back from base. Sightstone can help.
Rushing a philosopher's stone or a kage's pick (maybe even both) will help you keep up in gold. I can go support Nidalee with those two items and keep up with everyone in terms of gold.

The Artificer mastery is mostly for extending the vision on your pink wards so you can take out nearby wards easier. The Experience masteries are worth it, I'd say. While it's smart to fill the entire map with vision, that's under the assumption that other teammates are helping with it. Just keep dragon warded at all times if you can while warding near the enemy wraiths and one ward near baron. 3 active at any given moment, which is a ruby sightstone, if I remember correctly. Your teammates should be buying about...25% of your wards. Usually your jungler will pack a few. If not, try to remember where you expect the most amount of traffic. If your team is getting pushed, ward your jungle. If you just lost a fight and are worried about Baron, ward it up.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

iPewPewUqueque

Member

03-26-2013

Besides Soraka, (most people don't like the passive lane play), what are like your top 2 or 3 supports you recommend I bring into solo q? Probably won't bother learning blitz or thresh since i see them banned out most of the time.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Z The Slayer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

03-26-2013

Leona (extremely aggressive, solid win against kill-tastic bot supports like Thresh or Blitz)
Sona (Constant harassment, good against non-kill lane supports, like Janna)
Janna (Good with champs that can follow through after her tornado, like Draven or Graves)
And I actually really like Nidalee support with clarity. Trap everything, heal everything, spear everything. As long as you aren't being pushed back to your tower, you already won the lane. As I mentioned earlier, getting two gold items before boots can allow you to build as an AP carry without stealing farm. But don't do it if your ADC doesn't have a piercing harassment attack. Only try it with Caitlyn, Graves or Sivir.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DashOfLoyalty

Senior Member

03-26-2013

The previous two have a said a lot of what needs to be said, however I will add:

I typically have at least 1 or 2 of both pinks and greens on top of the Sightstone/Ruby Sightstone. Laning phase, warding the bushes and dragon, after laning phase, depending on which side of the map is getting pushed most, I ward that side from river onward to the base, with an occasional ward in our own jungle, if were pushing to their base.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DashOfLoyalty

Senior Member

03-26-2013

As for supports to learn, Leona, Sona, Taric and Lulu are the supports I see get played most often.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

iPewPewUqueque

Member

03-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaChopsticks View Post
As for supports to learn, Leona, Sona, Taric and Lulu are the supports I see get played most often.

If I played Leona, would I serve as my team's engage or would I peel and stick to my adc?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Stryker159

Member

03-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPewPewUqueque View Post
Is there a certain percent of wards that your other teammates should be buying, particularly in solo q, and if so which roles would be most suited to buy them? I find myself in games where the map is 100% dark and someone always says, support you need to buy more wards, when no one else has supplied even one.
Is there an average for how many wards a support should have up at one time? I usually have up 3 to 5 but I still can't light up the whole map with that many. Should I really be buying like 8 wards at a time?

Kind of a follow up from the last question, but if I am always buying wards, how many items do supports need to be critically affective? If I spend 90% of my income trying to buy wards and light up the map, I'll be stuck with just level 1 boots until 35 minutes.
I know the theory goes, more wards = more map awareness = more advantages = more team kills = more assists = more gold = more items = YOUR WARDS WERE SUPER AFFECTIVE! But seriously, is it possible for a support to go through a game with level 1 boots, one small item, sightstone and a **** ton of wards and be considered an affective teammate? I know sightstone was created for supports to have more ways to spend their gold other than wards, but in silver league, I probably will be spending 110% of income solely on wards.

Thanks in advance, sorry if I used 'affective' where 'effective' goes, english is so confusing.
a better question to ask would be how many wards should you be expecting the rest of the team to buy in solo q. the answer to that is none. 3-5 wards up at any given time is usually fine for support.

Laning phase it is choices between drag, river bush, tri bush and lane bushes (maybe wraith/red buff if your team is aggressive). rest of the game is drag, baron then wheverer they are needed most, which changes based on the state of the game between the two teams.

as for an effective support, usually you can get away with philo, L2 boots, sightstone and wards. if you are overflowing in assists you can look at building other items. Supports are there for their sustain (if they have any) and disables. you dont really need any item to make them more effective apart from lvl2 boots for positioning

this is from my limited experience.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Stryker159

Member

03-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPewPewUqueque View Post
If I played Leona, would I serve as my team's engage or would I peel and stick to my adc?
sorry for double post.

most of the time, peel for your ADC. It depends on your team comp really


12