Journey Into The Freljord III: The Troll King

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Galgus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Monkey View Post
Let me clear that up, in that .gif he is doing the "troll dance" in the animations the animators distorted his face for comic effect. I assure you he doesnt look like that when he is running around (on all threes, yes he still has the trundle run ) bashing dudes with his club.
A small reasurrance.

If I ignore the buff look and possible new voice lines, I can pretend we still have the old Trundle with his classic skin.

I'm just really a fan of his lore, and would be sad to see it go.

Mad Hit Monkey

03-26-2013

Quote:
Let me clear that up, in that .gif he is doing the "troll dance" in the animations the animators distorted his face for comic effect. I assure you he doesnt look like that when he is running around (on all threes, yes he still has the trundle run ) bashing dudes with his club.
Even more patience reveals this! All praise the Rioter who reveals all (WITH TIME)!

Grumpy Monkey

Senior Character Artist

03-26-2013
7 of 15 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galgus View Post
A small reasurrance.

If I ignore the buff look and possible new voice lines, I can pretend we still have the old Trundle with his classic skin.
Thank you for your kindly acquiescence good sir.

Snes C

03-26-2013

Here's how it is, guys: old Trundle was unique. He had an interesting backstory and a unique theme that was well-reflected in his kit. But this uniqueness came with some significant costs. For one thing, he looked disgusting. Exposed flesh and lidless eyeballs do not fit the aesthetic of LoL as a game and they turn people off. Another problem with old Trundle is that he was not involved with the world. His lore was interesting, but it was isolated. He had no relations, no interactions, and he couldn't go anywhere.

Riot traded out some of the uniqueness for a more accessible character, both in terms of how people perceived him and in how he could be used in the lore. The good news is that Trundle's personality is such that it could probably be transitioned without losing much. I'm sure he'll still be a jerk.

Battletick

03-26-2013

Quote:
Well that's encouraging, are you going to try and keep any ties to the old Trundle with this remake? This guy had some really good ideas that transfer old Trundle lore directly into the new lore so it's the same person at least, so if the model looked like him and he kept the same voice actor I'd be okay with it.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3263613
^^^
(Seriously, this thread is great, it needs some attention)

Deafiler

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-26-2013

Quote:
Lots of kind words in this thread, thank you. There are also a lot of concerned voices, I get that, we changed some stuff. I would only ask you guys that you reserve judgment untill you see him running around on pbe, and until more info is revealed. His new animations are among the best in the game imo. More updates and more art to come. You guys are awesome.
'Kind words'? I've seen almost nothing in this thread but hate for the new Trundle look (barring a few people who've never even played him trying to stir **** up).

Thrun

03-26-2013

So with this rework, Trundle goes from being a outcast of his village because he helped save all of them....to Troll King who is leading an army and waging war.....
ALL HAIL THE TROLL KING!!!!

Muranodo

03-26-2013

Quote:
Thank you for your kindly acquiescence good sir.
You'd receive more kind words and understanding if one at least acknowledged the buffness may prove a problem if it remains on his traditional skin. The runt of the litter with the jaded off wit was one of his more endearing qualities. It's why he looked more goblin like as you put it in the past.

FatedTitan

03-26-2013

Quote:
Lots of kind words in this thread, thank you. There are also a lot of concerned voices, I get that, we changed some stuff. I would only ask you guys that you reserve judgment untill you see him running around on pbe, and until more info is revealed. His new animations are among the best in the game imo. More updates and more art to come. You guys are awesome.

This post shows me what I feared. YOU DON'T GET IT! You didn't change SOME things. You changed EVERYTHING! Why should we wait until he's on PBE to judge? By then, it's set in stone and way too late for us to get our voices heard. We don't care how great his animations are. We're more concerned that you've taken our pesky underdog lovable troll and turned him into some buff, kill everything in sight troll. This is ridiculous.

Trundle's lore states that he was always a runt. He was made fun of for it. He took a curse for his tribe in hopes that the torment would end and his people would love him. But they just shunned him afterward. Then he decided to forget them and deal with the curse and let them die.

Now tell me, Mr. Grumpy Monkey. How the heck does that have anything to do with this ice king **** Trundle ripoff?!? That's right. It doesn't. Not only does the new model look like Sion and Gragas got together and had a baby, but the Traditional skin takes away what made Trundle who he is. Trundle is a runt, not a super-buff macho man. He needs the club to be as big as his body. That's who he is! But you completely ignored the pleas of all the people who actually played Trundle and instead went mainstream and decided to give into the demands of those who won't touch Trundle because he's icky. Grow up! Why does every champion have to look the same in League? Why does every champ have to be a buff macho man? Why can't Trundle be the runt that he is supposed to be? Why can't he walk on threes like he's done forever? That was such a unique aspect that I have fallen in love with. But no. Let's make him like very single other champ we have.

Posts like this show me that you really don't care about us. Thank all the people who like the new model because they'll actually play him now or buy him now in some cases. Then for those of us who have been playing Trundle for months or even years in some cases, our concerns fall onto deaf ears and all we get is a "wait until you see it then get over it because we aren't changing it." It's a big F You to all the people who have loved Trundle and his lore.

Trundle's lore was one of the best in this game and you're trashing it so you can make money from people who will play him a few games then go back to Xin Zhao because NEWSFLASH: they aren't going to play Trundle just because you give him a new location and new graphics. They aren't going to play him...period.

So thank you Grumpy Monkey for making me a grumpy monkey. As a representative of Riot, I assume that everyone at the company feels that this is the direction you are going to take no matter what we say. And to that, I say that you lost a fan. I really thought you wanted to be unique with some characters. Trundle was the perfect example of that. You promised for months that he wouldn't be destroyed and that he'd look amazing. You lied. You destroyed Trundle and turned him into something that I honestly thought was a completely new champ when I saw it.

Apparently community isn't as big of a deal as you want us to believe. You don't care about us. You just care about your money-making agenda. Get some quick sales and again forget about Trundle. This whole rework is a massive failure already. Instead of trying to be creative and tie Trundle into the story, you decide that you have to just restart from scratch and make him a generic ice troll like every other fantasy game on the internet. Even when you asked for our suggestions, all you ever responded to was the people saying they wouldn't play him because he looked gross. You ignored the true fans opinions.

So again, thank you Grumpy Monkey and Riot for ruining Trundle. Urgot fans beware because next thing you know they're going to turn him into a a sunflower that somehow shoots pollen at people. It doesn't matter if it makes sense. It's prettier and that's what sells: boobs, skin, and pretty. I'm so disappointed in this that I've ranted a long while now. Oh well. Venting is venting. It's not like the Reds care. They're probably laughing at the Trundle fans who are angry.

Epicn00b

03-26-2013

Do us a favor and stop trolling us. I know you are getting ready for April Fool's and all....but still....
Stop giving us "lore." We both know you fired the real lore team.